Subject: [Anima] Draft text on infrastructure ASAs

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:51:33 +1300

Hi,

In various threads people have been asking about how components
of the ANI (autonomic networking infrastructure) could themselves
make use of GRASP. This has come up for the secure bootstrap,
formation of the ACP, and Intent distribution.

I have quickly scribbled a draft document on this. It's too late
for the IETF, and I won't be in BA anyway. Also, it's not in I-D
format for now, because it really benefits from a choice of fonts.

It's in the WG wiki:
https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/anima/trac/wiki/Infrastructure%20ASAs
so please have a look and more important, post your comments here.

Regards
   Brian

---

From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 09:21:54 -0400

> formation of the ACP, and Intent distribution.

Thanks. My notion is that isn't not very difficult at all, it just needs to
be written down.

    > so please have a look and more important, post your comments here.

As you say: "There is no magic in this"

Would it be worth having an ACP cold-start bootstrap document?

   > b) the "cold start" case in which the ACP is not yet operational, so
   > neither the proxy nor the registrar have ACP addresses. We can force the
   > pledge to wait in that situation, simply by ensuring that no proxy can
   > be discovered. But even so, each potential proxy needs to communicate
   > with the registrar, although there is no predefined secure channel.

It seems that the registrar, needs to run a proxy, and it needs to start by
giving itself an ACP address on a loopback interface that at the beginning,
goes nowhere.  The shell expands concentrically.

     "(even in insecure mode)"

I don't agree with your comment the proxies will ask the registrar where it
is using insecure GRASP: they aren't proxies yet, they are pledges.
Once the ACP is up, the proxies will ask where the registrar is using secure
GRASP over the ACP.

I agree with everything else.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 08:15:11 +1300

> Would it be worth having an ACP cold-start bootstrap document?

I think so, but I also think that Michael B is already on it.

> goes nowhere.  The shell expands concentrically.

Yes, good thinking.

> Once the ACP is up, the proxies will ask where the registrar is using secure

You're quite right. A proxy has to start life as a pledge. And that's another
reason that there will be an expanding shell out from the registrar.

> I agree with everything else.

Excellent!

    Brian

---

From: "Toerless Eckert (eckert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 19:29:06 +0000

The sections i filled into the latest acp draft are trying to cover how acp an bootstrap use grasp. Will also make some picture for monday to vusualize ;-)

Toerless

Sent from my Samsung Captivate Glide on AT&T

Yes, good thinking.

Excellent!

    Brian

_______________________________________________
Anima mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima