Subject: [Anima] Testing ASA Negotiation via GRASP over two hops

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 21:56:08 -0400

Brian Carpenter and I are pleased to report that we have successfully
tested communication between two ASAs that are not sharing a link.

ASA Gray                                  ASA Briggs

  GRASP ------X------ GRASP ------X------  GRASP

(Gingko)             (Ritchie)            (Iverson)

Gingko, Richie, and Iverson are three Linux processors.  ASA Briggs is
installed on Iverson, and offers a variety of products.  ASA Gray is
installed on Gingko, and seeks to discover a source for these products.
GRASP is installed on all three machines, and provides the necessary
discovery forwarding.

In the absence of an ACP, I have manually assigned IPv6 Unique Local
Addresses (ULAs) to each interface, and manually installed the necessary
routes.  (These tasks would be part of the functionality of an ACP, once
one gets developed.)

Once this is done, ASA Gray is able to discover (through GRASP) that ASA
Briggs is offering the necessary products, and then negotiate directly
with ASA Briggs (i.e., using ASA Briggs' IPv6 ULA) to acquire these
products.

In the process, some small errors in the specification of GRASP have
been found, and resolved in the latest Internet Draft.

For those interested in the (python) code, it may be found at
https://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~brian/graspy/ .

Bill Atwood and Brian Carpenter

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8