Subject: [Anima] The layer 2 ACP

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2019 08:46:24 +1200

Hi,

Since there was no time for the presentation in Prague, I'd like to start
a discussion here about the idea of a Layer 2 ACP. In terms of the new charter,
this idea fits into "Works extending ANI, including variation of ANI deployment".

The draft is at
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-carpenter-anima-l2acp-scenarios .
The slides are at https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/104/materials/slides-104-anima-scenarios-and-requirements-for-layer-2-autonomic-control-planes-00 .

The basic argument is that GRASP must run over a secure ACP substrate,
but the regular Layer 3 ACP is complex and aimed at large networks.
A simpler Layer 2 solution would be good for a small enterprise or
for an enterprise that prefers to segment its network into small units
for management.

One important difference from the regular ACP is that the nodes will need
to be preconfigured before deployment with a VLAN ID, and a password or
encryption key if necessary. Whether this can be automated is for further
study (but Kent Watsen's suggestion for draft-ietf-netconf-zerotouch
might help with this).

Please have a look at the draft and comment on whether this is a good
idea and whether you'd like to contribute.  
 
Regards
   Brian Carpenter

---

From: William Atwood <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 07:55:08 -0400

Clearly, the availability of a Layer 2 ACP would enable a community of
people who would like to experiment or develop, but who do not have
access to 1000+ processors.

Also, it seems to me that the "initial conditions" for a Layer 2
solution (preconfigured VLAN ID, password, etc.) are likely to be the
same as those for a geographically-distributed overlay solution.
Development of a Layer 2 solution could help/encourage the development
of an "overlay ACP", which could ease the development of new Autonomic
Functions.

So, given that I am a university professor with limited resources, I
think that this proposal is a *very* good idea.

  Bill

On 07/04/2019 4:46 p.m., Brian E Carpenter wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Anima mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/anima
> 

-- 

Dr. J.W. Atwood, Eng.             tel:   +1 (514) 848-2424 x3046
Distinguished Professor Emeritus  fax:   +1 (514) 848-2830
Department of Computer Science
   and Software Engineering
Concordia University EV 3.185     email:[email-masked]
1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. West    http://users.encs.concordia.ca/~bill
Montreal, Quebec Canada H3G 1M8