Subject: [Anima] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: (with COMMENT)

From: Barry Leiba via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2019 21:37:07 -0700

Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-22: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I support the comments that Warren makes in his ballot, and related comments in
Alissa’s DISCUSS.  While simple device provisioning and onboarding is critical,
especially in IoT scenarios, I, too, have serious concerns about how such
setups can allow too much control by vendors of the use that legitimate buyers
can make of the products they bought.

That said, I am balloting “no objection”, because I don’t think that my opinion
on that overrides the consensus of the working group and the IETF community,
and we and other SDOs are working on alternative mechanisms to do similar
things.