Subject: [Anima] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC8995 (6648)

From: RFC Errata System <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 19:24:47 -0700 (PDT)

The following errata report has been submitted for RFC8995,
"Bootstrapping Remote Secure Key Infrastructure (BRSKI)".

--------------------------------------
You may review the report below and at:
https://www.rfc-editor.org/errata/eid6648

--------------------------------------
Type: Technical
Reported by: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>

Section: 5.1

Original Text
-------------
   Use of TLS 1.3 (or newer) is encouraged.  TLS 1.2 or newer is
   REQUIRED on the pledge side.  TLS 1.3 (or newer) SHOULD be available
   on the registrar server interface, and the registrar client
   interface, but TLS 1.2 MAY be used.  TLS 1.3 (or newer) SHOULD be
   available on the MASA server interface, but TLS 1.2 MAY be used.

Corrected Text
--------------
Use of TLS 1.3 (or newer) is encouraged.  TLS 1.2 or newer is
REQUIRED on the pledge side.  TLS 1.3 (or newer) SHOULD be available
on the registrar server interface, and the registrar client
interface, but TLS 1.2 MAY be used.  When TLS 1.3 is used the use of
Server Name Indicator (SNI, [RFC6066]) is not required, per RFC8446 
section 9.2, this specification is an application profile specification.

A pledge connects to the Registrar using only an IP address and it will 
not have any idea of a correct SNI value. 
This also implies that the Registrar interface may not be virtual \
hosted using SNI.

Notes
-----
Another errata says that SNI is mandatory on MASA interface, and the distinction between the two is subtle.

Instructions:
-------------
This erratum is currently posted as "Reported". If necessary, please
use "Reply All" to discuss whether it should be verified or
rejected. When a decision is reached, the verifying party  
can log in to change the status and edit the report, if necessary. 

--------------------------------------
RFC8995 (draft-ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra-45)
--------------------------------------
Title               : Bootstrapping Remote Secure Key Infrastructure (BRSKI)
Publication Date    : May 2021
Author(s)           : M. Pritikin, M. Richardson, T. Eckert, M. Behringer, K. Watsen
Category            : PROPOSED STANDARD
Source              : Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach
Area                : Operations and Management
Stream              : IETF
Verifying Party     : IESG