Subject: [RAI] Fwd: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May 28, 2008

From: Ted Hardie <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 11:54:12 -0700

I was a bit surprised to see this being cast in a RAI context,
since this is obviously of interest to the APPS (and, indeed, Internet) community
as a whole.  I hope folks from this community can contribute
and attend.
			Ted

>
>>From: "IESG Secretary" <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]>
>>Date: April 21, 2008 5:00:01 AM PDT
>>To: <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]>
>>Cc: <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked]>
>>Subject: P2P Infrastructure Workshop Announcement, May 28, 2008 
>>
>>The Real-time Applications & Infrastructure (RAI) Area Directors, Jon
>>Peterson and Cullen Jennings, would like to announce an IETF workshop on
>>P2P Infrastructure to be held on May 28, 2008 at 50 Vassar St, Room
>>34-101 on the MIT campus in Cambridge, MA USA.
>>
>>Several large ISPs have encountered issues with P2P traffic. The
>>transfer of static, delay-tolerant data between nodes on the Internet is
>>a well-understood problem, but traditional management of fairness at the
>>transport level has largely been circumvented by applications designed
>>to achieve the best end-user transfer rates. This results, at peak
>>times, in networks running near absolute capacity, and in which all
>>traffic incurs delays; the applications that bear the brunt of this
>>additional latency are real-time applications like VoIP and Internet
>>gaming. This has led to need for further discussion of the proper
>>approaches to P2P application development, and infrastructure management
>>in environments where P2P is commonly used. This workshop intends to
>>discover where additional IETF standards work is needed, or existing
>>work might be reapplied, to alleviate these difficulties. In particular,
>>the workshop will draw on the experiences of Comcast and BitTorrent,
>>representatives of both of whom will present their perspectives on the
>>problem space.
>>
>>Example solution discussions might include, but are not limited to:
>>deployment of application servers or caches to reduce network load; new
>>rendez-vous mechanisms to optimize P2P network topology; enabling
>>applications to signal their bandwidth needs (and priority or lack
>>thereof) to networks; enabling networks to signal bandwidth constraints
>>to elastic and inelastic applications; and, new approaches to fairness
>>that are coupled with incentives for applications. Contributions from
>>subject matter experts in the problem and solution space are
>>welcome. The primary outcome should be a direction for one or more IETF
>>efforts exploring the best practices for addressing these challenges.
>>
>>The organizers would like to stress that this is a technical workshop
>>exploring engineering issues and practices. The public policy
>>implications of P2P applications are not in the scope of this workshop.
>>
>>Position papers are requested from all attendees by May 9. Contact the
>>RAI ADs for a waiver if it is inappropriate for you to submit a position
>>paper. These should constitute one to five pages on the problem or
>>solution space of P2P architectures, with a particular emphasis on areas
>>that the IETF should address or revisit. Position papers will be made
>>publicly available. On the basis of the position papers, a number of
>>invited speakers will be asked to present at the workshop. A final
>>agenda with timeslots will be published by May 16th. Potential attendees
>>for whom it is not appropriate to supply a position paper may contact
>>the RAI ADs for a waiver.
>>
>>Evaluation of the position papers will be performed with the assistance
>>of a program committee consisting of the RAI ADs, Lars Eggert (Transport
>>AD), Danny Weitzner (MIT), John Morris (CDT), and Dave Clark (MIT).
>>
>>Further information about position paper submission procedures are
>>forthcoming. Interested parties are advised to subscribe to the
>><mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] mailing list for discussion and announcements related to
>>the workshop. Additional information will be available at
>><http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerInfrastructure>http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerInfrastructure.
>>
>
_______________________________________________
Apps-Discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss

---

From: Lisa Dusseault <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:33:32 -0700

I've been talking to Cullen and Jon about this just recently.  Because  
the issues and conversations that have inspired this workshop include  
net neutrality, metering, blocking, end-to-end and NAT traversal and  
more, there's just as good arguments for the Internet area and  
Transport as RAI or APPS.  I'm making sure I can participate myself,  
but naturally I'll try to bring my best Apps perspective if I can make  
it :)

thx for forwarding,

Lisa

On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:54 AM, Ted Hardie wrote:

>>> From: "IESG Secretary" <<mailto:[email-masked]>[email-masked] 
>>> >
>>> <http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerInfrastructure 
>>> >http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/rai/trac/wiki/PeerToPeerInfrastructure 
>>> .
>>>
>>

---

From: Paul Hoffman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:52:02 -0700

At 9:33 PM -0700 4/21/08, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>Transport as RAI or APPS.

The Apps folks should definitely participate in that the discussion 
is, fundamentally, about applications that are user-focused.
_______________________________________________
Apps-Discuss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-discuss