Subject: [APPS-REVIEW] my review of draft-ietf-calsify-rfc2445bis-06.txt

From: Claudio Allocchio <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:27:11 +0200 (CEST)

Hallo all,

attached is my review of draft-ietf-calsify-rfc2445bis-06.txt. I added my 
considerations directlu inside the txt draft, maked with

[***.... bla bla.... ***]

hoping to make them closer to the discussed prose and specification.

I would also add a general remark for the whole specification, which might 
become a concern when (and if) the specification is moving up in the 
standard process, and needs to undergo interoperability testing procedures 
among different implementions. I noted that in a number of cases there are 
really different combination of elements of the specification which can 
produce in the end the same result, or even more ways to specify the same 
thing (wfor example when secifying "time" or "time zones"). These are all 
variants, all valid, and when it comes to implement and test 
interoperability, these varians shall all be included. From previous 
experiences where many variants were allowed for the same information, I 
can tell that this creates a large buden of work, and enhance greatly the 
danger of non interoperable implementations.... ok that we human like 
variety... but do machines need it? I would, if at all possible, suggest 
reducing the number of allowed equivalent variants to the minimum.

I hope it helps in progressing it!

Best regards!

Claudio

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Claudio Allocchio             G   A   R   R          [email-masked]
                          Senior Technical Officer
tel: +39 040 3758523      Italian Academic and       G=Claudio; S=Allocchio;
fax: +39 040 3758565        Research Network         P=garr; A=garr; C=it;

             PGP Key: http://www.cert.garr.it/PGP/keys.php3#ca

_______________________________________________
APPS-REVIEW mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/apps-review

---

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 12:53:36 +0200

Claudio,

Thank you very much for your review.  I have forwarded your comments to 
the document editor for review.

Eliot