Subject: [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 07:09:51 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Active Queue Management and Packet Scheduling Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : AQM Characterization Guidelines
        Authors         : Nicolas Kuhn
                          Preethi Natarajan
                          Naeem Khademi
                          David Ros
	Filename        : draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-10.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2016-02-02

Abstract:
   Unmanaged large buffers in today's networks have given rise to a slew
   of performance issues.  These performance issues can be addressed by
   some form of Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanism, optionally in
   combination with a packet scheduling scheme such as fair queuing.
   This document describes various criteria for performing precautionary
   characterizations of AQM schemes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Kuhn Nicolas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2016 15:14:50 +0000

Dear all, 

Following Polina's comments on the goals of the document that are not clear, we have clarified the link with the standardized algorithms and the goals of the document. 
Some highlights on the main changes: 

"
   1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   3
     1.1.  Reducing the latency and maximizing the goodput . . . . .   5
     1.2.  Goals of this document  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .   5

[...]

The goals of this document can thus be summarized as follows:

   o  The present characterization guidelines provide a non-exhaustive
      list of scenario to help ascertain whether an AQM is not only
      better than drop-tail (with BDP-sized buffer), but also safe to
      deploy;

   o  The present characterization guidelines (1) are not bound to a
      particular evaluation toolset and (2) can be used for various
      deployment scenarios;

   o  The present characterization guidelines provide guidance for
      better selecting an AQM for a specific environment; it is not
      required that an AQM proposal is evaluated following these
      guidelines for its standardization.
"

We hope that this clarifies the situation. 
Kind regards,

Nicolas

-----Message d'origine-----
De : aqm [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de [email-masked]
Envoyé : mardi 2 février 2016 16:10
À : [email-masked]
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : [aqm] I-D Action: draft-ietf-aqm-eval-guidelines-10.txt

Abstract:

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

_______________________________________________
aqm mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/aqm