Subject: [aqm] Recharter discussion in Berlin

From: Mirja Kühlewind <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 14:29:09 +0200

Hi wg,

as we had a short recharter discussion in Berlin, I would like to take the 
opportunity to summary my view on the wg. I was very happy to see a quite 
lively discussion in Berlin. From my memory and also by looking at the 
minutes, I would draw the following conclusions from this discussion:

- There would be interest in an experimental deployment experience report 
given that we specified a set of algorithm where large-scale deployment would 
be the next goal now.

- New proposals and further research on AQM algorithm could/should be done in 
ICCRG with an option to bring it back to the IETF when mature.

However, this still doesn't give me an absolutely clear indication if we 
should leave the wg open or close it. The working group will in any case stay 
open until we have finished the last document of this charter which will 
hopefully be very soon and probably latest by Seoul.

Given this time horizon I would like to make a decision right after Seoul. 
Some people explicitly stated that they thinks it's okay to close the wg. 
However, others think there is still more work to do. If you think there is 
more work, I would actually need an evidence that shows this. That basically 
means if you are doing work that could fit well in the scope of the aqm work, 
please submit drafts describing this work before Seoul!

And just as a side remark: even if the aqm wg would be closed, that does of 
course not mean that we cannot do any AQM-related work anymore in the IETF. 
I'm sure I can find a home in other existing wgs for this work. It would just 
mean there is not enough work (and energy) that it would make sense to run an 
own wg for it.

Mirja