Subject: [armd] ARMD BoF meeting minutes uploaded...

From: "Laganier, Julien" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:38:13 -0800

...here: http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/79/minutes/armd.txt

--julien

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2010 23:00:40 -0800

Hi ,

While looking at the comments on the list as well as the meeting
minutes it seems that there is a question wehther we should look at
the Vmotion and the ARP issues as a result of this. I also read that
folks feel that as Vmotion is a rare event we should not look at the
problem.

I happened to read that a 2007 IDC report states that 50% of all ESX
users have used Vmotion. Though it is true that it is not a regular
event, we should consider the usecase when defining a solution for ARP
scalability.

Thanks,
Vishwas

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Laganier, Julien <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> armd mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/armd
>

---

From: Linda Dunbar <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:15:49 -0600

Our company has implemented Cloud Virtual Desk over a year. Today VMs can
only moved within its Layer 2 domain and the Layer 2 domain can't be very
large because many issues associated with large Layer 2. ARP is only one of
many issues associated with Large Layer 2. There are other issues, like
middlebox policy, etc. Since each IETF working group needs to focus on a
very small clear scope, we carved out this ARP issue to address first in
ARMD. 

Linda Dunbar

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Vishwas Manral
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 1:01 AM
To: Laganier, Julien
Cc: Susan Hares; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [armd] ARMD BoF meeting minutes uploaded...

Hi ,

Thanks,
Vishwas

---

From: Vishwas Manral <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:49:59 -0800

Hi Linda,

I agree with the statement about ARP scalability.

I know solutions like EVB etc are working on the policy implementation
in the ToR in case of VMotion, I am unsure if that falls into the IETF
scope though.

Thanks,
Vishwas