Subject: Re: [Art] [apps-discuss] URI templates in Link header fields

From: Erik Wilde <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 09:20:46 -0700

hello.

On 2016-08-30 10:41, Sean Leonard wrote:
> Overall it's a good idea, so +1 to the effort (to add URI template
> support to HTTP Links).

so far nobody seems to be opposed to the general idea. one of the more 
difficult questions to answer is whether this could be and should be 
combined with a general 5988bis effort, or whether that's a new thing 
that should be separate.

> I give +½ to the consolidation comment. It would be good to consolidate,
> but I do not know if consolidating to one spec would put excessive
> burdens on diverse implementations that only need selected features
> (i.e., to support all features). Lack of knowledge of this space, that's
> all.

just to clarify: i did not mean to literally take the approaches and 
features of all the efforts (@mnot added another one to the initial list 
that i mentioned, so now we have at least four) and combine them.

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-link-hint
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-link-template
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nottingham-json-home#section-3.1
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wilde-link-desc

i just wanted to point out that apparently, this general idea has popped 
up several times already, which is a good indication that there is 
interest and need. a consolidated effort might come up with a less 
specific and more general foundation, which hopefully would be useful 
for all/most of the scenarios that the previous efforts had in mind.

thanks and cheers,

dret.

ps: cross-posting to [email-masked] which probably is the new place for 
discussions like this? it's very hard for me to let go of the beloved 
apps-discuss name....

-- 
erik wilde | mailto:[email-masked] |
            | http://dret.net/netdret    |
            | http://twitter.com/dret    |

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2016 13:13:08 +0100

> On 3 Sep 2016, at 17:20, Erik Wilde <[email-masked]> wrote:
(Snip)
> ps: cross-posting to [email-masked] which probably is the new place for discussions like this? it's very hard for me to let go of the beloved apps-discuss name....

They are the same mailing list now.