Subject: [art] Need some more feedback on httpi draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 03:26:17 -0600

I have made changes to the draft taking feedback from valdis i need some more
feedback from few others if possible

https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-emailwhois-pradeepkumarxplorer-00.txt

Pradeep

---

From: "John Levine" <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Jul 2018 10:41:38 -0400

>https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-emailwhois-pradeepkumarxplorer-00.txt

The structure of WHOIS is managed by ICANN for the generic TLDs, by
the individual countries for ccTLDs, and by the RIRs for IP addresses.

This isn't in scope for the IETF.

R's,
John

---

From: Ned Freed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 08:18:20 -0700 (PDT)

> This isn't in scope for the IETF.

+1 as far as existing whois services go. Of course people are free to create
additional services that allow people to register their email addresses, but
(a) Not sure what the business model would be and (b) This is, again, not a
standards matter.

As for creating a new Internet-level federated service, this is what X.500 was
supposed to do - it was called, rather grandiosly, The Directory.

A couple of pilot projects were attempted. All of them failed, mostly because
essentially nobody was willing to put their directory of addresses online.

And all this was back when privacy concerns were, if anything, an afterthought.
These days the potential liability created by new laws make this idea
completely impractical.

tl;dr: This is a nonstarter.

				Ned

---

From: Hernâni Marques (p≡p foundation) <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 18:59:54 +0200

> tl;dr: This is a nonstarter.

Especially considering that after GDPR went into effect lots of
registries (e.g., in the US) went over to mask whois data; it would also
create additional spam problems with data harvesting.

-- 
p≡p foundation: https://pep.foundation/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 22:42:37 -0600

This is what i remember sending yesterday, may be i am wrong
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pradeepkumarxplorer-httpi/
This above is the revised draft for httpi taking feedback from valdis

> This isn't in scope for the IETF.
You mean to say whois email should have been implemented or can only  
be supported by icann.org?.