Subject: [Asrg] ISPs

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:19:04 -0500

We need to distinguish between the access provider (IAP) which provide
bit (or packet) transport and the ISP which providers services outside
the network. Most people buy both services from the same company and
there is no wall between the two in that the ISP is tempted to help the
IAP part of the business reduce traffic. But that's no different than
buying a newspaper which chooses and positions stories to maximize the
advertising revenue.

Like many, I only want an IAP and not an ISP. This discussion should
make a distinction between basic protocols and services that an ISP can
provide. It shouldn't presume that the purpose of the ISP is to make the
IAP more profitable by reducing the traffic.

Bob Frankston

[email-masked]

---

From: C Wegrzyn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:37:50 -0500

Sure, that is fine. But it doesn't make a difference as to intercepting 
the email traffic and billing for it.

[email-masked] wrote:

> there is no wall between the two in that the ISP is tempted to help 
> the IAP part of the business reduce traffic. But that’s no different 
> than buying a newspaper which chooses and positions stories to 
> maximize the advertising revenue.
>
> make a distinction between basic protocols and services that an ISP 
> can provide. It shouldn’t presume that the purpose of the ISP is to 
> make the IAP more profitable by reducing the traffic.
>
> Bob Frankston
>
> [email-masked] <mailto:[email-masked]>
>

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 14:42:40 -0500

I'm confused -- too much ambiguity in your response. Can you please
explain in more detail?
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of C
Wegrzyn
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 14:38
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] ISPs

> the IAP part of the business reduce traffic. But thats no different 
> can provide. It shouldnt presume that the purpose of the ISP is to

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:12:20 +0000

> buying a newspaper which chooses and positions stories to maximize the

That is a distinction that can be made. But unless it's clear and universal
it's problematic.

Do you consider IP as being the responsibility of your IAP?
For instance - if a IAP is help responsible for traffic originating at one
of their IPs then they'll have a strong incentive to control other higher
level protocols.

--