Subject: Re: [Asrg] ISPs (correction - sorry)

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 09:17:43 +0000

Due to incompetence I sent different messages to the list and to Bob. This
is what they both should have said:

> We need to distinguish between the access provider (IAP) which provide
> bit (or packet) transport and the ISP which providers services outside
> the network. Most people buy both services from the same company and
> there is no wall between the two in that the ISP is tempted to help the
> IAP part of the business reduce traffic. But that's no different than
> buying a newspaper which chooses and positions stories to maximize the
> advertising revenue.
> 

That is a distinction that can be made. But unless it's clear and universal
it's problematic.

Do you consider IP as being the responsibility of your IAP?
If you're talking about "packets" I guess you do.
If an IAP is help responsible for traffic originating at one of their IPs
(e.g. blacklisting) then they'll have a strong incentive to control other
higher level protocols (eg port 25).

I'm not sure that this distinction is made widely enough for it to be
useful.

--

--