Subject: RE: [Asrg] Stamps

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:05:28 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 12:40 PM
To: Sauer, Damon
Cc: [email-masked]; Sauer, Damon; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Stamps

>> ----- I too will put as simply as possible. Economics 101:
>> 
>> If (Cost > Return) then (Profit) = 0 (or gosh LESS than 0 - I suppose
there
>> could be some philanthropic spammers out there)
>> Increased cost = Decreased Profit
>> Increased cost > profit = Bankruptcy

>how do you measure the profit derived from sending mail to a friend?

 -- I don't. It is not Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE- Which is exactly
the point of all of this). We want to get rid of UCE(spam) and keep the
email to a friend.

>how do you decide whether the return from doing so will be great enough
to justify the cost?

 -- It is not arbitrary- When the return column is less than expense column,
one cannot justify cost.

 > especially when that cost could be spent on food,rent, etc?

 -- These would go in the expense column if you your name happens to be Alan
Ralsky.

>your attempt to reduce the value of human communication to monetary terms
is based on false premises. it is also offensive.

 -- I am not discussing human communication. I am discussing the economics
and business drivers behind UCE.
 FYI- It is okay to assume that in any of my future posts that I am not
discussing personal email unless otherwise noted.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 13:36:40 -0500

> the point of all of this). We want to get rid of UCE(spam) and keep the

not everyone defines spam as UCE.  

and offhand I don't know a way to impose costs on either UCE or spam without
imposing costs on others who might want to send me mail.

if there were a reliable way to distinguish between spam and other kinds of
mail, maybe this would be worth something.  but offhand I don't know of 
a way to do that.

Keith