Subject: [Asrg] A technological or legal solution?

From: "Will E. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 00:14:04 -0600

I've been reviewing our charter and the different approaches that have been discussed of late, and I
find
myself increasingly struggling with the question of whether it is possible to achieve a reasonably
effective
solution to the spam problem (even an imperfect one) without changes to the legal system.

We surely want a system where any individual can email any other individual, anywhere in the world,
for
apparently zero cost.  What's to stop that individual from becoming a spammer?

We have to remember that ultimately at the source is a human being.  Someone is DECIDING to spam
you.  The only thing that can truly affect human behaviour is another human.  Time and time again it
has been demonstrated that any technological system, especially a eclectic and complex one, can be
circumvented by determined individuals.  I'm afraid that if we design a purely technological
solution that
has no true power of enforcement on human beings, it will be circumvented, and we'll end up with a
situation not much different than we have now, but after having expended a huge amout of money
and effort.

Can we build a system that will achieve our goals without changes to the legal system?  Should
international commercial email be regulated?  Should there be some sister organization to the
International Telecommunications Union and Universal Postal Union to ensure nations cooperate in
imposing sanctions on illegal spammers?

I'm concerned that if we simply engage in a technological arms race with spammers, it will go on
indefinitely,
until one side collapses under its own weight, after great cost to the other.

I'm not suggesting that we begin a debate on what legal changes are necessary to enforce a
spam-controlled internet, but we need to decide if we're embarking upon a fool's errand.  Our
charter
indicates we should design a technological solution, but does our charter need to be changed to
incorporate recommending legislative changes if it is the consensus that such changes are necessary
to achieve spam control?

---
Will Rose

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg