Subject: [Asrg] New Internet Draft I'm working on

From: "Gordon Fecyk - Home" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 21:33:35 -0600

<http://www.pan-am.ca/draft-ietf-asrg-dsprotocol-00.txt>

I just learned of this list from Computerworld's announcement of the ASRG
conference.  People in other anti-spam mailing lists urged me to finish this
and post it.

It's another approach to the domain spoofing problem which supports IP (v4
and v6) based authorization of hosts sending mail, and leaves that
authorization in the hands of domain administrators.

--
PGP key (0x0AFA039E): <http://www.pan-am.ca/[email-masked]>
What's a PGP Key?  See <http://www.pan-am.ca/free.html>
GOD BLESS AMER, er, THE INTERNET. <http://vmyths.com/rant.cfm?id=401&page=4>

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Mariano Absatz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 09:02:17 -0300

Hi,

I just skimmed over you draft... are you aware that "_" is an INVALID 
CHARACTER in current DNS? Don't let the stupid things Win2K does with its 
pseudo-dns server fool you into thinking that is something that would survive 
in the Internet... I guess my DNS cache resolver would simply refuse to issue 
a request for 1.0.168.192._ds._client._smtp._tcp.lonehost.example.com or 
something along the lines...

The idea is interesting, nonetheless... but I think you should take a look 
into RFC 1034/1035 and their updates before going any further...

---

From: "Gordon Fecyk - Home" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 23:41:50 -0600

> into RFC 1034/1035 and their updates before going any further...

RFC 2181 section 11 clairifies this.  Already we see things like "/" in
in-addr-arpa records (RFC 2317) and it's clear that these aren't host names
and therefore aren't bound by host name restrictions.

I am looking at using these in A RR records though where they could be
assumed to be host records, and RFC 2052 seems to have dropped the
underscore character.  There was concern that not having underscores would
make it possible to not distinguish DS records from hosts named "ds".  I
have to concede, however, that hosts named like "ds.client.smtp.tcp" are not
very likely.