Subject: [Asrg] rfc 2822 header

From: Markus Stumpf <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:16:26 +0100

I am new to this list. I have skimmed over the list archive but haven't found
it discussed yet.

As the charter of this group says:
    [ ... ] a framework that allows different systems to be plugged in to
    provide different pieces of the solution [ ... ]
I'd like to suggest standardizing RFC 2822 headers to ease the communication
between those systems.

On our mailserver we use some DNSBLs for blocking and others for tagging,
i.e. we insert rfc2822 headers to indicate that the injecting IP was
listed with some DNSBL. This headers can be utilized by other software
(e.g. spamassassin) to do further processing.
When we implemented the tagging we noticed that there is no consensus
about those headers, so it is time consuming to modify packages to
make use of those headers.
Also, adding those headers could free postprocessing software from the
burden of parsing Received: header lines to find the IP address of the
host that injected the email to the local systems to lookup this IP in
the DNSBLs themselves.

I'd like to suggest the following header line:

RBL-Warning: (fromhost:fromip) base_of_dnsbl; TXT_record_for_fromip_at_dnsbl

   o   if  fromhost  cannot be determined from reverse lookup "unknown"
	should be used
   o   ";" TXT_record_for_fromip_at_dnsbl   is optional

Thus conforming headers would be:
    RBL-Warning: (200-206-136-145.customer.telesp.net.br:200.206.136.145) proxies.relays.monkeys.com
    RBL-Warning: (200-206-136-145.customer.telesp.net.br:200.206.136.145) proxies.relays.monkeys.com; BLOCKED: See http://www.monkeys.com/upl/listed-ip-0.cgi?ip=200.206.136.145
    RBL-Warning: (unknown:200.252.129.26) sbl.spamhaus.org
    RBL-Warning: (unknown:200.252.129.26) sbl.spamhaus.org; Listed on SBL - see http://spamhaus.org/SBL/sbl.lasso?query=SBL7781
    
Thanks for listening,

	\Maex

-- 
SpaceNet AG            | Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14 | Fon: +49 (89) 32356-0
Research & Development |       D-80807 Muenchen    | Fax: +49 (89) 32356-299
"The security, stability and reliability of a computer system is reciprocally
 proportional to the amount of vacuity between the ears of the admin"
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg