Subject: [Asrg] Re: More advertising crap

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:09:33 -0800

Interesting thought...

At 09:03 AM 3/5/2003 -0500, J. Noel Chiappa wrote:
>Huh:
>
>   as e-mail in-boxes get jammed with junk e-mail, IM has become the most
>   reliable way to ensure that an electronic message receives priority
>   attention.
>
>     http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A30944-2003Mar2.html
>
>Can Junk I-M be far behind, then?
>
>         Noel

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Clifton Royston <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 08:43:37 -1000

> >Can Junk I-M be far behind, then?

  Ask people who use IM a lot - it's already here, though still at a
relatively low volume.

  There are also people spamming via the "Windows Popup" messages that
many Windows systems will respond to. 

  -- Clifton

-- 
     Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  [email-masked]

  "If you ride fast enough, the Specialist can't catch you."
  "What's the Specialist?" Samantha says. 
  "The Specialist wears a hat," says the babysitter. "The hat makes noises."
  She doesn't say anything else.  
                      Kelly Link, _The Specialist's Hat_
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Matt Sergeant <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 19:03:15 +0000 (GMT)

> >Can Junk I-M be far behind, then?

It's already here. If you're on ICQ it's a nightmare as your user id is a 
ten digit number. Easy to guess and generate. Same for SMS. AIM is a 
little harder because it's letters and numbers, but I suspect it can't be 
too far behind.

---

From: Jason Hihn <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 13:51:43 -0500

It's already here. ICQ has this problem. Fortunately there are some measures
you can do to limit it, and ICQ never got that popular.

I'm more worried about SMS spam - some people actually pay per text message,
or have a limit then per-pay!

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Fred
Baker
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 1:10 PM
To: J. Noel Chiappa
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [Asrg] Re: More advertising crap

Interesting thought...

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:12:07 -0500

>>Can Junk I-M be far behind, then?

One of the things that AOL got right with AIM was the ability to dis 
the sender.  That, combined with a centralized server system, makes 
it difficult to spam.  All it takes is annoying three or four people 
and suddenly your messages aren't getting through for some period of 
time.  If you could trivially sign up for accounts, then you could 
get around this.  But that requires email verification.

Not to say that spammers couldn't work around those problems, but it 
has made it harder.  AIM has two of the ingredients that make spam 
control much easier.  A centralized server and a verifiable identity.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Chris Lewis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 14:20:15 -0500

> Interesting thought...

But several months late.  There are several spammers using junk I-M now. 
Including one of our perennial favourites, the "diplomas from 
prestigious non-accredited universities" spammer.