Subject: Re: [Asrg] filtering at connect time

From: "Chris Lewis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Mar 2003 14:21:58 -0500

David wrote:

> I would really like to see other MTA software (qmail, Postfix, Exim)
> implement "real-time" filtering during the SMTP conversation.  As far
> as I know, Sendmail is the only MTA that does this currently.

Mailshield provides inline "real-time" filtering which can take effect 
at any RFC821 "step" of the conversation - connect, HELO, MAIL FROM, 
RCPT TO or DATA.  [Mailshield is from Lyris, I made the designer build 
it that way ;-)]

We've deliberately altered this so almost all of our rejections occur 
after the DATA so we can get full copies of everything we block. The 
only exception is relay attempts - we block those at RCPT TO time.

Mailshield isn't a true MTA - it's more of a RFC821 packet filter, 
"front ending" a "real" MTA. In our case, the back end is sendmail.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg