Subject: [Asrg] follow up (to last post)

From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 12:58:52 -0800

these are examples, not real urls. the idea is to give email users 
administrative control over their contact lists just like in any 
decent instant messaging client. this prevents the possibility of 
spam while still allowing the formation of potential contacts.

main multifunctionmail public portal: http://multifunctionmail.com/
==============================
userx's public account page: http://userx/multifunctionmail.com/
==============================
contact1's private sub page in blog/chat log format: 
http://userx/contact1/multifunctionmail.com/
contact2's private sub page in blog/chat log format: 
http://userx/contact2/multifunctionmail.com/
contact3's private sub page in blog/chat log format: 
http://userx/contact3/multifunctionmail.com/
==============================
userx's inbox:
------------------------------
test message a (from contact1) (linked via 
http://userx/contact1/multifunctionmail.com/)
test message b (from contact2) (linked via 
http://userx/contact2/multifunctionmail.com/)
test message c (from contact3) (linked via 
http://userx/contact3/multifunctionmail.com/)
==============================
userx's contact control panel:
------------------------------
contact1 (options: add or remove)
contact2 (options: add or remove)
contact3 (options: add or remove)

for contact1 to create a sub account and be added to userx's contact 
list requires them to first visit http://userx/multifunctionmail.com/ 
and fill out a strict submit request form. this request is then 
reviewed by userx, either allowed, disallowed or ignored.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 16:18:13 -0500

>these are examples, not real urls. the idea is to give email users

I'm sorry.  Was this in reference to a post I missed, or is it a new 
proposal?  And if the latter, could you give an abstract instead of 
just an implementation.  About all I'm certain of (I think) is that 
you are requiring all correspondents to fill out a form on some web 
server if they want to talk to someone else.  How you prevent 
spammers from automating this, and how you allow automated email from 
non-spammers I'm not sure.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Dave Lampert" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 21:20:39 -0500

Threads, threads everywhere, and we're trying to weave a tapestry.

I believe Matthew's post was threaded back to:

[Asrg] try this on for size
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01634.html

which may have sprung as an offshoot from the original thread:

[Asrg] Gray list: rating of associates
https://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/asrg/current/msg01552.html

I like Matthew's extension of the idea where there is a unique address or
password or certificate or whatever for every sender/receiver combination,
and the receiver is ultimately the one who may choose to break that
connection or downplay it as a connection containing unimportant babble.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Kee
Hinckley
Sent: Friday, March 21, 2003 4:18 PM
To: matthew richards
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] follow up (to last post)