Subject: RE: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:43:31 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: David F. Skoll [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 10:09 AM
To: Sauer, Damon
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [Asrg] Spam detection system proposal

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, Sauer, Damon wrote:

> -- The problem is that it costs me the price of servers, bandwidth,
> software, administrators, and other infrastructure to perform the "cheap
> test" ... not so cheap after all ;-)

Oh, come on.  You're already running a mail server.  Once the
tempfail-first-time software is installed, it takes no administrator
interaction at all.

 ----- I currently already block 60-80% of all my incoming email. (1.1
billion messages @ 49.8tb. last year)
Because of AOL size spam load beating up my corporate size servers, I have
to block it.
It would require even MORE servers to try and deliver it all.

 I was not disagreeing with you, what I am saying is- Even if I was able to
block 100% of all spam that hit my servers, but it required 100 servers to
do it, it is still costing me too much money. It is also additive not
subtractive.. meaning, next year I would have to add 5 more servers to my
100 to maintain 100% filtering.

 The solution that would work best for me is one that requires less
horsepower behind it. This is why I do not see content filtering alone as
"the" solution and favor a protocol type solution. 

"UCE Solution: If it requires horsepower, it is the wrong solution." << You
can quote me on this.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg