Subject: RE: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

From: "Jonathan Wilkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 17:16:43 -0800

I think that this is a false analogy.  Legislation has been somewhat
effective against pirated PHYSICAL media.  One would be hard pressed
to argue that it was effective against purely digital piracy.  
All that's happened from the various RIAA cases is to push the 
pirates to different networks.

If anything's slowing the distribution of pirated physical media it's
the easy availability of that data on online networks.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vernon Schryver [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 3:42 PM
To: [email-masked]

> From: Jason Hihn <[email-masked]>

> ...
> Legislation is futile. The spammers will go off-shore if not already.
> The only solution is a technical one that crosses political borders.
> ...

If that were true, the people who make Rolex watches and print CDROMs
software or DVDs with movies would have no hope fighting offshore
pirates.  In fact, contrary to the hoary old chestnut about legistation
being useless because of offshore spam, laws including trade agreements
and sanctions are reasonably effective.  They don't and can't stop
all spam, knock-off Rolexes, or pirate CDROMS or DVDs, but they can
stop enough of it to be worthwhile.

Besides, in the long run the real offshore spammers (no matter which
are your shores) will largely stop spamming you, just to save their
own bandwidth, time, and effort.  Most spam is domestic, even if it
happens to use offshore relays or ISPs.  Almost all spam includes
contact information for domestic outfits that can be whacked by domestic
legislation.

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Justin Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:22:45 +0000

> pirates to different networks.

Hmm, I missed this thread in my last reply.

Also, physical pirate copies are easier to stop *entering* the US.
That's why you haven't seen them.   A visit to the biggest mall in
Bangkok last year illustrated this graphically to me; I was
surrounded by about 1000 sq.ft. of racks of pirate CD-ROMs.  And
that's nice, clean, shiny mainstream Bangkok shopping, not some
kind of pirate flea market. ;)

The piracy's all still there, it's just not getting into your hands as
easily as it used to...

--j.