Subject: [Asrg] List Kiddies

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:18:34 -0800

OK so we thought we should get a pejorative name for the twits who BUY the
CDROM of 10 million email addresses, many 8 years old or more.

This is what we did a while back with hackers, inventing a demeaning term
for them to strip them of the mistique.

After some thought we came up with 'something like suckers' but no further.
So I'll make an executive decision here and the name is LIST KIDDIES.

This name is self explanatory, a lot of the spam problem is caused by
clueless dweebs who will never make a dollar sending spam to a 10 year old
list. The 'kiddie' part is a little on the opaque side but will be readily
understood by the community and the trade press.

		Phill
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Frank de Lange <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 17:11:05 +0100

> understood by the community and the trade press.

Hm , for a moment I thought you were referring to people on this list
when I read 'list kiddies'.

The term does give room for widely different interpretations. Maybe we
should look for something which brings up visions of clouds of nasty
insects hovering around a lamppost, or fleas in a scruffy dog's pelt, or...

Frank

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 06:42:22 -0500

> CDROM of 10 million email addresses, many 8 years old or more.

  My thought was "garbage provider".  e.g. We have network providers,
access providers, so why not garbage provider?

  They have a very good business model.  They take other people's
garbage, and dump it on your front lawn.  It's a phenomonally
successful business model for them, and a stinky problem for everyone
else.

> So I'll make an executive decision here and the name is LIST KIDDIES.

  IMHO, that's too close to 'script kiddies', and thus shares mindset
with it.  A name which doesn't have overlap with an existing term
would get more unique mindshare.

  Alan DeKok.

---

From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:12:36 -0800

> CDROM of 10 million email addresses, many 8 years old or more.

What about "chickenboners"?  It's been in use for that crowd,
for 5 years or so, and is pretty perjorative ;)

--j.

---

From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:12:36 -0800

--j.