Subject: RE: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:46:22 -0800

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 04:57:47PM -0800, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:
> > But US spam senders are unlikely to uproot themselves and go to 
> > places where there is no effective government. If they tried the
> > bribes that they would have to pay to operate would quickly erase
> > their profits.
> 
> I'm not convinced at all.   Consider the current situation with trade
> agreements w.r.t. software and VCD piracy; the biggest offenders
> are in East Asia, and have been for decades.  So obviously US-led
> trade agreements are taking a long time to have an appreciable
> effect over there.

What an amazingly parochial view. It is unlikely that we are going
to see any US led trade agreements for many years. Why do you assume
that your country is the only super-national actor? 

Korea is looking to adopt anti-spam legislation unilaterally. Their
people have the same complaints as everyone else.

		Phill
 
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Jon Kyme" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:55:57 +0000

> people have the same complaints as everyone else.

That's most terrifically good news. 
Do you have a reference for that? (in English)

--

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 10:53:06 -0500

> that your country is the only super-national actor? 

That was his point - the US, even as the most obvious super-national,
is having a hard time convincing other countries to do what we want.

We can't even convince the rest of the US Security Council of such blazingly
obvious "facts" as "madmen must be disarmed". ;)

> people have the same complaints as everyone else.

Right - the point is that they're doing it because THEIR citizens are
asking, not because some other country is.