Subject: [Asrg] try this on for size

From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 16:36:28 -0800

i was just reading an article about google buying blogger, and the 
writer was talking about what makes blogs so interesting; " The 
attraction of blogs is two fold. Firstly, it is the personal and 
uncensored nature of a diary. Secondly has an illicit nature to it. 
It is rather like peeking into someone's private notes." and then it 
hit me!

this idea i've been mulling over for a while now, a new kind of email 
all together, a system that would operate like a bbs, P2P network, a 
blog, an IM client and email all rolled into one. a system that would 
be invulnerable to spam. it would operate in two basic parts:

first the account part; a person would sign up for a free account 
that would basically be some private http webspace, say 20MB on a 
server. to access this account the subscriber would require a 
password just like hotmail or tripod. the space would be set up 
similar to blogger or a bbs, but the data entry form would look more 
like an email client. to post content

the second part would be the public portal. the idea is that a 
contact would first visit your account page, where they would have 
one of two options; entering in their own personal contact 
information to ask permission to be added to your contact list, or a 
login, wich would allow them to receive messages from you, if they 
were already on your contact list.

this is how they would be linked together:

jessica visits http://matt.webspacehost.com views matt's bio and 
wants to write matt. so jessica fills in her personal contact info 
requesting a unique login and password id for 
http://matt.webspacehost.com - this request is then posted to matt's 
public portal where he can decide if he wants to allow jessica access 
to his virtual domain. the difference between matt's login/pw and 
jessica's login/pw is a simple matter of permissions. matt's id has 
administrator privilages and allows him access to every part of his 
virtual domain, while jessica's login only allows her access to her 
own page within matt's virtual domain. when matt confirms jessica's 
request she get's her own page: jessica's page within matt's virtual 
domain where she can post messages to matt and where he likewise can 
post replies- no one outside of jessica and matt would have access to 
this page as it would not be public.

so anyway, that's the main idea. im sure there are lots of concerns 
that people would have by this point, so please ask some questions 
and i will answer them and think up solutions.

here are some additional notes:

with a little java a built in http based realtime IM engine could be 
built in, message post pages could alternately function as chat logs.

the public portal could work as a blog/bbs for advanced users, or as 
just email for those who don't want to get that complicated.

for p2p files could be uploaded and exchanged on users secure post 
pages, like streamloader, or other similar online file lockers.

etc. etc. etc.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg