Subject: RE: [Asrg] Domain-Authorized SMTP Mail

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:00:16 -0800

>The question is whether AOL.COM has few enough authorized outbound relays
>that it fits in a single 512-byte UDP DNS query.  I know they can't fit
>all their inbounds into one packet, so I suspect the outbounds don't
either.

That is a good point, i believe that the larger ISPs would need to use an
SSL type approach in any case simply to avoid the operational problems
that a mechanism that strongly coupled their outbound mail to the DNS.

I don't see how BCC is meant to create a problem. Any authentication
approach
is authenticating the source of the mail, not the destination.

It is however very useful to distinguish BCC mail from mailing list mail.

I suspect that over time the range of people from whom BCC mail is accepted
will shrink. The range of people I might BCC is pretty small. I would never
BCC someone in a first contact. The main utility in BCC is to avoid creating

ad-hoc mailing lists from reply-to threads...

	Phill
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg