Subject: [Asrg] Please remove [email-masked] from the mailing list

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 14:23:19 -0500

I just got two of these.

1. I never sent mail to [email-masked].  I've gone through my 
outbox.  As far as I can tell this is a reply to mail he received 
from the list, incorrectly sent to the From instead of the 
Return-Path.  I'd report the bug to the mailkey folks, but in order 
to contact them they force me to use their system.  Why should I 
waste my time any more than I already have?  Welcome to the 
fundmental flaw in challenge-response--it assumes that the sender 
cares more about sending than the receiver cares about receiving.

2. It's is nice that every once in a while someone joins the list and 
demonstrates the kind of broken adhoc solutions that we are here to 
try and prevent.

3. Love the all caps subject.  It's so 70's.

At 6:03 PM +0000 3/28/03, [email-masked] wrote:
>Return-Path: <[email-masked]>
>Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 18:03:48 +0000
>X-Mailer: Chilkat ActiveX Mail Control (www.chilkatsoft.com)
>To: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Subject: RE:- RE: [ASRG] RE: ASRG DIGEST, VOL 1 #133 - 14 MSGS
>
>The email you sent to me with the subject line as above has been 
>rejected due to the fact that my email account is protected from 
>SPAM by MailKey.   You are not (yet) on my 'A-list' of approved 
>senders, and the mail did not contain a valid MailKey.
>
>To successfully send the email to me, you need to obtain a MailKey 
>from the MailKey website.
>
>A MailKey is a short unique code which will allow the email to be 
>delivered  you simply insert the MailKey anywhere in the subject 
>line, and re-send the email to me.
>
>The service is free, is very easy, and should take less than 1 minute to use!
>
>Please go to 
>http://www.mailkey.com/pklookup.aspx?to=[email-masked]&amp;from=[email-masked] 
>to obtain the MailKey you need.
>
>To retrieve the email you sent please go to 
>http://www.mailkey.com/retrievebody.aspx?id=1596
>
>If you want to use the free MailKey service to lock out SPAM from 
>your email account, or find out more about MailKey, please go to 
>http://www.mailkey.com

-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 12:09:30 -0800

No, not THE flaw, A flaw.

Remember the challenge/response anti-spam house that decided
to spam everyone they had sent a challenge to with a marketting
message?