Subject: [Asrg] Mail path verification presentation

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 15:11:26 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'v been preparing presentation for the session tomorrow and unfortunetly 
it appears this will not be part of the agenda. This is rather unfortunate
since this dealt with very commonly discussed issues of being able to deal 
with stopping header forgery and first part also provided good diagram and 
example of what solution should able to handle as far as not screwing 
up existing email use. This goes into larger issue that it appears that 
presentations were chosen based on compnies that backed them up rather 
then based on individual work as is supposed to be the case for IETF & IRTF. 

Anyway the presentation draft is available at:
http://www.elan.net/~william/args-presentation-verification.ppt

Feel free to email to the list what you like or do not like about it or 
email paul if you think it should have been included in the agenda (I 
think its probably still not too late). 

In my side no matter how it goes, I'll prepare draft on using message 
tracking protocol to do verification of sender. Though this protocol is 
not deployed yet, I think this would be the best way of doing it (rather 
then using dns or adding additional extensions to SMTP) and will help in 
deployment of message tracking as well. The draft should be ready in 1-2 
months.

-- 
William Leibzon
Elan Communications Inc. 
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:02:52 -0800 (PST)

As I'v been asked to provide a format of presentation in html or pdf. Powerpoint
unfortunetly refused to publish to html and I had to boot into linux and convert
to openoffice and then still publishing to web gave unpleasant results. 
So best I can do is to get openoffice impress to publish to pdf:
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg-emailpathverification-presentation.pdf

---

From: [email-masked] (Justin Mason)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 18:28:41 -0800

> http://www.elan.net/~william/args-presentation-verification.ppt

BTW I would point out that DS, aka Designated Sender is a form of the
can-this-IP-address-send-mail-as-my-domain query scheme; and IMO is more
elegant/well-thought-out than some of the others. ;)  Could you list that
as well on page 12?

An interesting presentation; it's interesting to see the 'complex
verification' system, which was hashed out on another list a while back,
in another form (called 'porkhash' there).

Also, I was not aware of the MSGTRK WG at all. ;)

A good presentation, all in all,

--j.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 17:31:59 -0800 (PST)

> elegant/well-thought-out than some of the others. ;) 
>Could you list that as well on page 12?
I'll add it. But this is all the same and unfortunetly they all suffer 
from the same problem of not handling full mail path and only limited 
protect for one header that is not even seen by most headers.

> in another form (called 'porkhash' there).
I was trying to remember where I got it from but could not.
You remined it now. Thank you.

> Also, I was not aware of the MSGTRK WG at all. ;)
They finished most of their work about year ago or more. There was no 
meeting at this ietf for this WG. But when my draft is ready I'll bring it 
up and see if people there are willing to modify protocol.