Subject: Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....

From: "Doug Phillips" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 13:43:52 -0500

I believe the scope statement indicates that ASRG will pursue legal issues 
related to spam only to the extent they affect, support, or constrain 
anti-spam technology (and not otherwise).  That's as it should be.  This is 
not primarily about law, but if new laws are needed or would be useful to 
back up a technological solution, they should be identified.  A lot of 
legislators would be happy to be able to introduce a bill or at least cast a 
vote against spam.  In the U.S. Congress, there was overwhelming support for 
sharp limits on telemarketing, and I'm sure there are similar feelings about 
spam.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
To: Doug Phillips <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Giving Public Notice ....
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 10:16:20 -0800

On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:42:04PM -0500, Doug Phillips wrote:
 > The law will need to evolve, just as Internet architecture needs to
 > evolve.

I agree. But unfortunately, that's far beyond the scope, the
power, and the timeline of such a research group.

Hadmut

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online  
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "John Rumpelein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:20:24 -0800

Doug,

> A lot of 

I'm sure there are similar feelings about spam too, and I have no doubt we
will see more anti-spam legislation.  But like I said, I already live in a
place where (most) spam is illegal.  I see no great difference between being
a Washington State resident who cannot stop people from sending me spam
because there is a WA law against it, and being an American who cannot stop
people in other countries from sending me spam because there is an American
law against it.  (Most spam I receive right now appears to originate from
Asia.)  The attitude that American law can be applied to people outside the
US causes nothing but friction with other countries.  (I think we probably
have enough of this already, and I think our friend Hadmut will probably
agree, nein?)

-J