Subject: [Asrg] Re: My Opinion regarding ietf asrg session (it went badly!)

From: Vern Paxson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:18:55 -0800

As Marshall notes, a number of the points raised on this thread arise from
equating IETF practices with IRTF practices, whereas these are in fact
quite distinct.

> Also it can be noted that AT&T presented technology on which 
> they have some patents and IETF has very clear guidelines that this is 
> dscoraged to say the least and group chairs should when two solutions 
> exist (one patented, one not) always choose non-patented solution

First, this overstates the IETF policy.  It is not "always" choose, it is
to preferentially choose, but the WG can decide otherwise.

Second, as I mentioned in the plenary, the IRTF does not have an expressed
IPR policy, though it appears one needs to be developed.  I picture such a
policy requiring that, for any technology discussed within RGs that has
related IPR, that the presence of the possible IPR be disclosed; but not
beyond that.  The AT&T presentation would be in compliance with such a
policy.

> Also have to be noted that most presentations on the live meeting were by 
> persons who did not try to participate at the mailing list and are completely
> unknown to us and this is also against general policies for IETF and IRTF 

The IRTF does not have policies in this regard.

> In short, like I said in previous email - the presentations were all 
> opinions of particular organizations and all commercial (even spamcon is 
> really what I call "commercial" non-profit foundation, as apposed to say 
> CAUSE) and were not individual submission as is supposed to be done at 
> IETF and IRTF.

The IRTF does not have policies in this regard.

> I do hope chair takes my comments seriously!

I imagine that stepping back from them and phrasing them with a bit less
sharp of a tone would help in this regard.

		Vern   (IRTF chair)
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg