Subject: RE: [Asrg] Opt-out lists and legislation

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:57:47 -0800

> If that were true, the people who make Rolex watches and print CDROMs
> software or DVDs with movies would have no hope fighting offshore
> pirates.  In fact, contrary to the hoary old chestnut about 
> legistation
> being useless because of offshore spam, laws including trade 
> agreements
> and sanctions are reasonably effective.  They don't and can't stop
> all spam, knock-off Rolexes, or pirate CDROMS or DVDs, but they can
> stop enough of it to be worthwhile.

The only cases where trade agreements are likely to have no effect
is places like Nigeria where the government is either ineffective
or bought off.

But US spam senders are unlikely to uproot themselves and go to 
places where there is no effective government. If they tried the
bribes that they would have to pay to operate would quickly erase
their profits.

Just think how easy it would be to switch IP addresses to launder
your connection in a country where the power only works 4 days out
of 5.

	Phill
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Justin Mason <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:18:44 +0000

> bribes that they would have to pay to operate would quickly erase

I'm not convinced at all.   Consider the current situation with trade
agreements w.r.t. software and VCD piracy; the biggest offenders
are in East Asia, and have been for decades.  So obviously US-led
trade agreements are taking a long time to have an appreciable
effect over there.

At the same time, some of the highest broadband rollout to date is
in East Asian countries (Korea for example), so there is a lot of
tech savvy and bandwidth to be used.

That's a spammer's dream -- lots of bandwidth, and little influence
of US law.

In other words, there's a good reason why some of the big spamhauses
have sited their server infrastructure over there.

PS: also, I don't know for sure, but from what I've heard I'd reckon
power cuts are more common in Silicon Valley, than Beijing's server
farms ;)

--j.