Subject: [RANT][RE: [Asrg] Hashstamp-like proposal

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:18:39 -0600

I think that a new protocol or additions to the SMTP protocol are going to
be required, I am not sure how it could be otherwise. There are too many
different mail systems out there, running on too many different operating
systems, hardware, and MTA's.
 To just patch sendmail is a good thing, but how many systems are not
running sendmail?

 For all the nay-sayers, I am sorry, if you can give me any example of how
this can be accomplished otherwise, I would love to hear it. 
 I am all for changing and/or adding protocols. The question is, how much
infrastructure will need to change (cost) or how simple will it be to
incorporate into my current code (effort)?

 My goals are these-

 1) Make everything legitimate. When I read all these posts, that is the
very first question I ask- Will this make the email  I send or receive
legit? Then I ask- [Benefit - (Cost + Effort)]= Is it worth it?
 2) Start tackling sources and a spam economics. (This I cannot affect until
after I know for a fact where they are)
 3) Reap benefits of reduced operating costs due to reduced load and take
numerous vacations in places like Vegas and Tahiti.

Regards, 
Damon Sauer 

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, March 24, 2003 1:11 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Hashstamp-like proposal

>DRAWBACKS OF THIS METHOD
>
>1. Requires a new client, server, and protocol in order to be implemented.
>
>Is that all? :-)
I see what you're getting at.  Unfortunately as far as I know there hasn't 
been a good solution presented that doesn't either break SMTP or require a 
consensus among all clients and servers; which in effect is a new protocol.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg