Subject: RE: [Asrg] Stamps

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:11:04 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 11:59 AM
To: Sauer, Damon
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Stamps

> > Spam exists because there is an (almost zero) fixed cost associated with

> > sending it out.
> 
> false.  snail mail spam exists despite having significant costs associated
> with sending it.
> 
> -- False. Snail mail spam exists because the return is higher than cost.

That doesn't contradict my assertion.

Let me put it a different way:

Artifically increasing the cost of email will not prevent spam.  It will
reduce spam.  It will change who uses spam to advertise.  It will also
reduce
the volume of email that we want to receive.

A large percentage of the snail mail I receive is spam, something like 75%. 
One reason snail mail spam is not as annoying as email spam is that the
overall volume of snail mail is lower, so it's easier to deal with the spam
portion of it.  But the overall volume of snail mail is lower than that of
email precisely because snail mail is so much more expensive than email
(both
in terms of money and effort).

If we increase the cost of sending email, we'll find that many of the best
things about email - e.g. that it makes it easy for us to keep in touch with
people with whom we would not otherwise do so - will be gone.  And we'll
still
be getting spam, it will just be 'slicker', and trying to sell us different
products.  And the folks who are sending it will claim that they have a
right
to do so.

----- I too will put as simply as possible. Economics 101:

If (Cost > Return) then (Profit) = 0 (or gosh LESS than 0 - I suppose there
could be some philanthropic spammers out there)
Increased cost = Decreased Profit
Increased cost > profit = Bankruptcy

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:40:18 -0500

> Increased cost > profit = Bankruptcy

how do you measure the profit derived from sending mail to a friend?
how do you decide whether the return from doing so will be great enough
to justify the cost?  especially when that cost could be spent on food,
rent, etc?

your attempt to reduce the value of human communication to monetary terms is
based on false premises. it is also offensive.

Keith