Subject: RE: [Asrg] Position paper, in zipped HTML

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:09:12 -0800

> I like this idea, but I wonder if it's practical. If you opt 
> out via a 
> central list, what lists have to accept it and what lists 
> don't? If you 
> use the central opt out, would this list have to remove you?

That is why I proposed using a database of one-way encrypted hashes
of the email addresses in the paper.

<rant>
I actually deployed a test system of this scheme six years ago 
when I was at MIT, so it is highly unlikely anyone could 
defend a patent claim on it. Given my recent experience I would 
not make a proposal of that type to a public list without first
applying for a patent to stop a squatter. Yes, I have heard about
the quaint theory of prior art, even with cast iron prior art
you can end up with a $2 million legal bill.

Basically the USPTO is on a par with the 419 scammers in my opinion.
</rant>

At the JamSpam meeting we had a discussion of using honeypots 
to determine whether bulk senders were observing opt-out lists
and to help them detect people wanting them to send to a junk 
list. I had a go noodling arround trying to extend the one-way opt
out list concept to these areas but I don't see a way to make
it work since the malefactors objective is to detect honeypots 
inside their lists...

	Phill
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg