Subject: [Asrg] email licences

From: matthew richards <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:12:47 -0800

why not just create a whole new closed email system based on SMTP but 
not backwards compatible. and then make the sign up for that system 
VERY comprehensive, like getting a drivers licence (or at least a 
combination of factors that could not be easily falsified or 
randomized) and maybe apply real world penalties for abuse of the 
system. essentially filter out spammers at the root level. email is a 
very powerful communication tool, maybe the people who are so adverse 
to spam should take it more seriously. for the shady characters who 
prefer to remain anonymous they can stay in the old system.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Matt Sergeant <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:37:57 +0000

> prefer to remain anonymous they can stay in the old system.

Who do you trust enough to run this system? Microsoft? Verisign (sorry 
Phill!)? Your Government? My Government? A completely free and open 
system run by anonymous hackers?

Matt.

---

From: Chris Fedde <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:55:59 -0700

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 18:37:57 +0000  Matt Sergeant wrote:
 +------------------
 | On Monday, Mar 10, 2003, at 18:12 Europe/London, matthew richards wrote:
 | 
 | > why not just create a whole new closed email system based on SMTP but 
 | > not backwards compatible. and then make the sign up for that system 
 | > VERY comprehensive, like getting a drivers licence (or at least a 
 | > combination of factors that could not be easily falsified or 
 | > randomized) and maybe apply real world penalties for abuse of the 
 | > system. essentially filter out spammers at the root level. email is a 
 | > very powerful communication tool, maybe the people who are so adverse 
 | > to spam should take it more seriously. for the shady characters who 
 | > prefer to remain anonymous they can stay in the old system.
 | 
 | Who do you trust enough to run this system? Microsoft? Verisign (sorry 
 | Phill!)? Your Government? My Government? A completely free and open 
 | system run by anonymous hackers?
 +------------------

This kind of system has been created with some degree of success
for Internet2.  'Course there is a sugar daddy paying for lots of
that work.  It's unlikely that such a system could have been built
from a grass roots effort.

Still there is nothing to say that a subscription based SMTP
meta-network could not be built on the public Internet based on
communities of trust.  The big question is wether such a system
would be sufficient.

--
    Chris Fedde

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 04:05:29 -0500

> randomized) and maybe apply real world penalties for abuse of the 

Hmm.. You don't live in a college town, do you? ;)  If you did, you could
ask around - there's *always* somebody who can make an ID that says you're
21 so you can go drinking.  The only reason that a driver's license works
as ID 

This is just the same old "If we had a PKI, we could digitally sign
everything" argument.  The problem is that we don't have a working PKI.

Find out how many driver's licenses your state Dept of Motor Vehicles
has issued.  Find out how much they charge per license.  Multiply the
two numbers - that's revenue.  Now find out if DMV puts money into the
state or if it needs more funding.

What does your answer say about the financial feasibility of your idea?