Subject: [Asrg] [OT] Sender verification

From: Matt Sergeant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:58:48 +0000 (GMT)

Please do not use sender verification systems when posting to mailing
lists. The last thing I want to see when I post to a mailing list is a
bounce trying to confirm I'm a real person (I really don't care whether
your system believes I'm a real person or not). It's as bad as getting
vacation message bounces. Turn it off!

For those of you not willing to get rid of your sender verification 
system, learn to set reply-to to the list so that I don't have to jump 
through your personal hoops.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Vernon Schryver <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:52:59 -0700 (MST)

> through your personal hoops.

Sender verification systems are expressions of "I think I'm so Special
that I think you will jump through my hoop merely to have me listen to you.

However, that complaint is worse.  If you go to the trouble of trimming
all but the mailing list address when you respond, you will not be
bothered by verification system noise.  Besides the extra effort, the
only problem with trimming your response list is that your recipient
will respond to you context and order of other messages the mailing
instead of early.  Unless you think your words are Very Special, I
don't see any harm in that. 

Note that sending to both the list and the other person causes the other
person to get two copies of your wonderful words.  Isn't that Special?

Vernon Schryver    [email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Kee Hinckley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 15:43:35 -0500

>person to get two copies of your wonderful words.  Isn't that Special?

Another one of those "the sender decides" problems with SMTP.  On the 
bright side, we could have used X.400 instead.

Personally I prefer to get the two messages.  They end up in two 
different queues and the ones that replied to me direct are read 
before the list.  Which is in my mind how it should be.  First you 
listen to the people talking to you--then the ones talking to the 
room.
-- 
Kee Hinckley
http://www.puremessaging.com/        Junk-Free Email Filtering
http://commons.somewhere.com/buzz/   Writings on Technology and Society

I'm not sure which upsets me more: that people are so unwilling to accept
responsibility for their own actions, or that they are so eager to regulate
everyone else's.
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg