Subject: RE: [Asrg] Stamps

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 14:00:47 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 1:37 PM
To: Sauer, Damon
Cc: [email-masked]; Sauer, Damon; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Stamps

> >how do you measure the profit derived from sending mail to a friend?
> 
>  -- I don't. It is not Unsolicited Commercial Email (UCE- Which is exactly
> the point of all of this). We want to get rid of UCE(spam) and keep the
> email to a friend.

not everyone defines spam as UCE.  

----- My definition of spam is: If the recipient thinks it's Spam- it is.

The charter does not go into defining it, but for the purposes of my
discussion, I am referring to UCE.

and offhand I don't know a way to impose costs on either UCE or spam without
imposing costs on others who might want to send me mail.

--- Make it harder to send and/or receive Spam. Spam is profitable because
of sheer volume over costs. Reduced volume means decreased profit and higher
cost due to lack of return.

if there were a reliable way to distinguish between spam and other kinds of
mail, maybe this would be worth something.  but offhand I don't know of 
a way to do that.

--- Right now, there is ZERO way to distinguish reliably.
But I feel that a DNSRBL or RMX would go a long way and is better than what
we have now.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg