Subject: RE: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 10:13:41 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, March 07, 2003 6:53 PM
To: Chris Lewis
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [Asrg] Nucleus of a draft BCP on filtering

> Guiding General Principles: - spam is UBE (unsolicited bulk email)

<snip>

>that way, we wouldn't all have to agree on what spam was.

>Keith

 ----- I finally agree with something Keith said.. hmm.
 
 I believe that my previous statement still holds true- Spam is in the eye
of the beholder.

 The system that we may (or may not) eventually come up with should be able
to work exactly in reverse- All legitimate mail is blocked and only UCE is
received. I think that would be a good test. Then rate the system on how
much UCE is inadvertently blocked and how much legitimate mail slips
through.
 I believe that this would satisfy everyone.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Alan DeKok" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 06:05:07 -0500

>  I believe that my previous statement still holds true- Spam is in the eye

  That's not all.

  Spam is also mail that the sender, or the sending network, didn't
intend to send.

  e.g. Viruses.  The sender didn't intend to send those messages.

  e.g. Unintentional open relays.  The sending network didn't intend
to send that mail.

  Most of the discussions here are focussed on the recipient.  My
belief is that by the time the recipient has received the mail, the
network has been degraded due to passing traffic which the recipient
throws away.

  Alan DeKok.