Subject: [Asrg] Re: RMX Records

From: "Peter A. Friend" <[email-masked]>
Date: 04 Mar 2003 16:15:22 -0800

Hello, I'm new to the list is still poring over the archive. Most of my
concerns with this proposal I've already seen listed, but I have a few
others.

DNS servers often suffer from being misconfigured, down, on a lame
saturated network, or any other of a long list of ailments. The email
stuff I work on deals with high volumes, so unless some part of the
protocol requires a DNS lookup, I avoid the lookup since a sufficient
number of dead DNS servers ends up becoming a DOS.

If I understand your proposal correctly, the idea is to look up the
domain and get a list of IP addresses back. When you provide dialup
access via several different companies, your list of IPs that are
allowed to relay gets huge. Getting that back via DNS seems inherently
nasty to me.

Peter

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Derek J. Balling" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:34:27 -0500

> allowed to relay gets huge. Getting that back via DNS seems inherently

A point I brought up (and one of the reasons I tossed my own OX 
proposal in the trash months ago, which was, essentially, the same 
thing).

Any proposal which ends up - for large sites[1] - costing them DNS 
resources as they constantly have to fallback to TCP for the long 
answers, is doomed to failure as "dead on the vine".

I've seen a couple other proposals, and am waiting impatiently for 
authors of such to bring them forward for public review, which 
hopefully will happen any day now.

D

[1] which are the sites you most need buy-in from