Subject: [Asrg] The Traveling Salesman SMTP problem

From: wayne <[email-masked]>
Date: 06 Mar 2003 10:20:54 -0600

I'm not as frequent a traveler as many people, so I'm not sure if I
entirely understand the Traveling Salesman SMTP problem.  I do travel
on occasion, and when I first encountered problems sending email from
random places, I simply set my home MTA up to allow forwarding for
only me.

Pardon my ignorance, but can't people use an MTA located on a port
other than 25 that allows relaying if and only if the sender is
authorized via SMTP AUTH or TLS?

IF an ISP restricts which IP addresses are authorized to send email
claiming they are from them, AND those ISPs don't set up an MTA on a
non-port 25 server that allows relaying, THEN you have a valid
complaint about how the ISP is running things.

-wayne

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Hadmut Danisch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 18:10:45 +0100

> authorized via SMTP AUTH or TLS?

Pretty good question, simple answer: Yes, without any problem. 
That's a common technique. 

You could even put it on port 443 to make it appear as being
a https connection and run through a HTTP proxy. 

Hadmut