Subject: [unproductive arguement]RE: [Asrg] Requirements for gathering sta tistics

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 14:35:35 -0600

"Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Regardless of how the information is "meant" to be used. Any spammer
> can point at these numbers and say- 50% of our junk is getting through
<best
> Homer voice> Whoo Hoo!. 

  Do we really care about the opinions of spammers?

--- "Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer."

> I believe that you are not looking at control sets in the correct
> light. In ANY scientific study you MUST have control sets or the
information
> is invalid.

  Nonsense.  Data collection doesn't require control sets.

  Data *analysis* may use control sets, but even that depends on how
you analyze the data.  There is no control set required to analyze the
data gathered from asking "how much spam is received by your domain?"

I think I'll stop here.  I *completely* disagree with your opinions
on data collection and analysis methodology.  I'll appeal to
authority, and let my background as a published nuclear physicist
stand for itself.

---- I believe that here we can agree to disagree.. being a published
(anonymously) postmaster, (not sure what nuclear physics has to do with
spam, but I am sure that it has its applications) I know that just by being
"protected" by anti-spam systems that some spammers just give up. My
internal numbers clearly show that 1/3 of all my spam traffic dropped off as
soon as "announced" myself as a site protected by certain anti-spam
measures. I am talking on the order of hundreds of thousands a day. Gone.
 I choose to not argue the point further, maybe I am just misunderstanding
what you intend to measure with the numbers. I usually tend to start
measuring from the beginning of the ruler rather than somewhere in the
middle, but then of course, I don't build nuclear power plants and the such.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg