Subject: RE: [Asrg] Requirements for gathering statistics

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:27:06 -0600

<snip>
>  I disagree.

>  In contrast, we can ask the simple question: "How many emails did
>you decide were spam?"

----- Semantics, but I like the way you stated it better. I agree.

>  The answer to such a question is objectivem and it's an easy
>measurement to make.

----- Mine would not be an easy answer.

>  In addition, a survey with the goal of measuring the effectiveness
>of anti-spam solutions will be socially contentious.  (Or more so...)
>
>  Since just *having* anti-spam measures is a way to deter spam, I think
that
> showing these numbers is important.
> How many spammers give up spamming a host just because they have
> anti-spam... and why?
>
>  How do you expect to be able to tell?

---- I don't -just being thoughtful.

>  Any other suggestions on how we can uniquely analyze the data?
>
>  Let's not talk about data analysis until such time as we're sure we
>can gather meaningful data.

---- Putting the cart before the horse here... while it can be done
successfully it is not very efficient.
 Maybe if we state the analysis that we would like to see, I would be much
more at ease providing specific data rather than giving up my entire
database. And knowing exactly what we are looking for, I may even be able to
provide more granular measurements.

Regards,
Damon

*****
"The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential, proprietary, and/or
privileged material.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use
of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or
entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all
computers."
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg