Subject: Re: [Asrg] Bug, or Feature?

From: mathew <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:53:16 -0400

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 06:00 PM, Barry Shein wrote:
> These long-winded apologias for microsoft are touching (and I hope
> paid for!)
>
> HOWEVER, what would've been so hard about putting in a goddamn pop-up
> confirm box triggered at the system level which said something like:
>
> 	THAT ACTION IS TRYING TO MODIFY YOUR SYSTEM
> 	SOFTWARE AND/OR THE REGISTRY etc etc.
>
> 		 Proceed? [YES] [NO] [HELP]
>
> based on some reasonable rules so it's a reasonably meaningful
> warning? Lord knows they ask confirmation for everything else you do
> it seems.

The interesting thing is that it's mostly possible to configure a 
Windows 2000 system this way. I have to use Windows 2000 at work, and I 
always run as a completely untrusted user with no registry or system 
modification privileges. I also remove Outlook Express and its various 
hidden components which many worms and viruses use to do their nasty 
tricks, and disable ActiveX and scripting in IE. I use Mozilla as my 
web browser.

This week I twice had a warning dialog caused by an installer failing 
to install some piece of unidentified software which I had not asked 
for. I tried to track down where it came from, but Windows doesn't seem 
to offer much of an audit trail for "What launched this process?"

Of course, there are still all the unpatched security holes that allow 
privilege elevation, but 99% of the problem is IE, ActiveX, Outlook, 
and running as admin the whole time. Microsoft could fix those problems 
tomorrow if they wanted to.

The sad thing is, running as an unprivileged user breaks a *lot* of 
software, including some commercial applications. The culture of zero 
security in Windows is so ingrained now that it's assumed your Windows 
system will be wide open to the world.

Mac OS X is mostly locked down by default. You can trash the 
applications, but you can't change the OS or startup sequence without a 
dialog requesting root privileges. Apple also recommend the "running as 
an unprivileged user" approach, though they don't make that the default.

Unlike in Windows, running as an unprivileged user on a Mac doesn't 
break much. So far I've only had one application have problems. (Adobe 
Photoshop Elements, in case anyone's curious, and they have a note 
about it in their knowledgebase.)

mathew

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg