Subject: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 02:39:19 -0400

I found this in my SMTP log

The IP address you are using to connect to AOL is a dynamic,

IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions,

I've only been skimming this list (5000 messages are a lot to catch up on.
But this action by AOL is like prohibiting free speech to save it. Killing
email by going back to the PTT model is effectively opting out of the
Internet. I say a little more about this at
http://www.frankston.com/?name=AolVsInternet.

I'm going to be posting some general comments about the Internet in the next
week and one point I will make is that the static IP address is a legacy and
must be deprecated. It's just like using the Ethernet MAC address or the
circuit ID in a phone network. It is (and should be) a routing identifier.
We need simple handles for maintaining relationships. Unfortunately the .COM
madness has confused the issue. 

.

Bob Frankston

[email-masked]

http://www.frankston.com <http://www.frankston.com/> 

http://www.satn.org

---

From: "Danny Angus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:21:17 +0100

>IP address.  AOL will not accept future e-mail transactions,

Get a fixed IP.

Apart from that, its not the only criteria set by AOL, Yahoo and Hotmail.
Between they have some pretty arbitrary rules.
On the other hand they are having to cope with massive amounts of abuse,
look at the quantity of spam originating from Yahoo for instance.

d.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Danny Angus" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2003 20:29:03 +0100

For instance...

AOL also rejects mail from hosts which don't reject relay probes immediately
with a 5xx error.

This unfortunately impacts on legitmate mail servers and gateways which are
blackholes for spam,(they benefit from this by not revealing to address
harvesters what are and aren't valid local addresses).

For the record every public relay testing service I've ever seen is more
sophisticated than this, and won't blacklist a host until the probe is
actually received.

d.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Danny Angus [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 26 July 2003 20:21
> To: Asrg@Ietf. Org
> Subject: RE: [Asrg] AOL vs the Internet -- Are they opting out?
>
>
>
> Apart from that, its not the only criteria set by AOL, Yahoo and
> Hotmail.  Between they have some pretty arbitrary rules.
> On the other hand they are having to cope with massive amounts of
> abuse, look at the quantity of spam originating from Yahoo for instance.
>
> d.
>
>