Subject: [Asrg] Consent in IM

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 03:20:56 -0400

The IETF WGs working on instant messaging protocols (IMPP and XMPP) have 
incorporated the notion of consent into their protocols. For example see 
this quote from RFC 2779:

---snip--
"The PRINCIPAL controlling an INSTANT INBOX MUST be able to control
       -- (2.3.5) which other PRINCIPALS, if any, can send INSTANT
          MESSAGES to that INSTANT INBOX.
"
---snip--

The XMPP draft 
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-im-13.txt), section 8, 
has an extensive discussion blocking messages including the following:

---snip---
o  Retrieving one's privacy lists.
o  Adding, removing, and editing one's privacy lists.
o  Setting, changing, or declining active lists.
o  Setting, changing, or declining the default list (i.e., the list that is 
active by default).
o  Allowing or denying messages based on JID, group, or subscription type 
(or globally).
o  Allowing or denying inbound presence notifications based on JID, group, 
or subscription type (or globally).
o  Allowing or denying outbound presence notifications based on JID, group, 
or subscription type (or globally).
o  Allowing or denying IQs based on JID, group, or subscription type (or 
globally).
o  Allowing or denying all communications based on JID, group, or 
subscription type (or globally).
---snip---

Would looking at the way consent is implemented in IM help us with defining 
a consent framework for email?

Yakov 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg