Subject: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Must Address Issue of Hijacked Computers

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 12:27:03 -0400

Should the following be part of the requirements:

"Proposals must address issues of hijacked computers used for sending spam."

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:36:45 -0400

> computers used for sending spam."
	No. This should not be a requirement for *all* proposals since
not all proposals rely on any particular knowledge of source server. On
the other hand, proposals which rely on knowledge of source servers
*should* address the issue of hijacked machines.
	Undoubtedly, one of the objectives of research should be to
determine what, if any, unique problems are introduced by the use of
hijacked machines. However, the understanding that results from this
research will only be applicable to a subset of all of the various
mechanisms that may contribute to a reduction of spam.

		bob wyman