Subject: RE: [Asrg] Proposal: NO_XMIT DNS record

From: "Hallam-Baker, Phillip" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 13:32:57 -0700

I don't think that a reverse MX record should be prohibitive.

It is fair for a reverse MX record to have a statement such as 'this is a
dialup' or 'this is a broadband consumer account' or 'this address not
issued'. But that should be seen as an input to the filter/accept criteria.

If a person on a dialup line uses some form of authentication to prove that
they are not a spammer they should be able to send mail by that means.

The MAPS lists this proposal would replace are not 'do not accept' lists,
they are purely descriptive.

This proposal could be extended to support additional security related
semantics. If I know an address simply has not been issued I can take rather
more aggressive DoS prevention measures out to the cloud.

		Phill

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 20:50:30 -0400

At 01:32 PM 7/13/2003 -0700, Hallam-Baker, Phillip wrote:

>......

To put it within the consent paradigm, the RMX/rDNS data supplies 
information to the consent system which uses that information to make a 
decision on the incoming message. The user or owner of the mailbox is left 
free to decide how the information is acted on in the consent policy.

Yakov