Subject: Re: [Asrg] A Little Background on 'GIEIS' And A Few Surprises

From: Bill Cole <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:14:05 -0400

At 11:09 PM +0000 7/1/03, Mark McCarron wrote:

>'GIEIS' will scan the Internet 24 hours a day for open ports, test 
>them and catalogue them.

Be aware that any IP address seen to do that now without explicit 
permission is treated by many networks (including most that I've 
helped manage) as a source of abuse. I personally would consider that 
sort of activity unjustifiably obtrusive, and would consider any 
network hosting the source of such activity to be extremely suspect, 
to the point of treating their packets identically to any claiming to 
be from 10/8 but arriving on an external interface.

-- 
Bill Cole                                  
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:16:16 -0400

At 08:14 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, Bill Cole wrote:

>>'GIEIS' will scan the Internet 24 hours a day for open ports, test them 
>>and catalogue them.
>
>permission is treated by many networks (including most that I've helped 
>manage) as a source of abuse. I personally would consider that sort of 
>activity unjustifiably obtrusive, and would consider any network hosting 
>the source of such activity to be extremely suspect, to the point of 
>treating their packets identically to any claiming to be from 10/8 but 
>arriving on an external interface.

In addition, in some jurisdiction this may be considered illegal.