Subject: [Asrg] 1. Problem Inventory - Core solutions

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 19:44:03 -0500

> As mentioned by Barry before, one type of solutions for spam are attacking 
the problem at the "core" level of the network - seeking ways to detect 
spam behavior including hijacked computers and stopping them. 

While I agree that would be nice, I don't think it makes sense to wait until 
then.

I believe that the best way to get solutions implemented NOW are to have them 
repay AT ONCE the effort spent putting them in place... and that means edge 
solutions that primarily benefit the person(s) installing them.

That, to me, looks like my recipient-end permissions list system.

As for the "here's how to make cheap calls" E-mail that supposedly would make it 
through content filters, I'll comment that it would only make it through my 
filter ONCE... since I generally add spam-shilled domains to my domain blacklist 
"hosts" file, and I'll then not see that domain in a spam email ever again.

One thing which I haven't yet done in my personal system is to implement a good 
way of handling subdomains, especially arbitrary subdomains, but it turns out it 
won't be particularly hard for me to do that.

> 3. If this type of solutions are considered more of a "long term", should 
we be considering "edge" solutions for the short and medium term?

I think we *absolutely* need to find quicker, "edge"-type solutions.

The idea of by default filtering out HTML-burdened mail is, I think, key to 
denying the most common and pernicious spammer tricks... and nearly all of the 
things which make life the most difficult for content scanners.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg