Subject: Re: [Asrg] Does anyone remember what happened to....

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:27:12 -0400

At 03:15 PM 7/7/2003 -0500, Christopher Bird wrote:

>A while back (probably 2 or 3 years) there used to be an email service
>called either msgto.com or mailto.com or something like that. It worked
>by the following (rather clumsy, but quite effective) method.
>
>It kept a list of people who I authenticated as legitimate mailers to me
>in its address list.
>Any mail from someone in that list was automatically authenticated
>Any mail from someone not in that list was held in abeyance and an email
>sent to the return address of that piece of mail. If the person at\the
>other end confirmed that they did indeed send it, then the mail was
>forwarded to me and placed in a quarantine box for my approval
>(whitelist) or disapproval (blacklist).

I haven't heard of it but it sounds like C/R with message verification. I 
believe John Fenley or someone else a while back proposed that C/R system 
verify that messages were actually sent. Others have proposed similar 
"callback" methods as well.

Yakov

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yakov Shafranovich / <[email-masked]>
SolidMatrix Research, a division of SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"One who watches the wind will never sow, and one who keeps his eyes on
the clouds will never reap" (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "C. Wegrzyn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:32:07 -0400

I don't know if they are still around but I do know a number of C/R 
systems have popped up in the last 3-4 months.

Chuck Wegrzyn

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:

> I haven't heard of it but it sounds like C/R with message 
> verification. I believe John Fenley or someone else a while back 
> proposed that C/R system verify that messages were actually sent. 
> Others have proposed similar "callback" methods as well.
>
> Yakov
>