Subject: [Asrg] DRIP

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 02:26:37 -0500

> > >    The Designated Relays Inquiry Protocol, DRIP, is a method for domain
> >    name owners to specify the IP addresses that are authorized to relay
> >    mail as a domain name in the SMTP HELO and EHLO commands. The
> >    protocol provides a method for server MTAs to reject SMTP connections
> >    from IP addresses not authorized to use the domain name given in the
> >    SMTP HELO and EHLO commands.

The big intrinsic flaw I see in that one is that the person who benefits the 
most from the effort expended by the domain name owner is NOT the domain name 
owner... which will tend to leave a lot of those domain names undefined under 
DRIP.

One of the other nice things about my proposal is that the person who benefits 
from the work done developing their permission list is the person defining it... 
giving them a significant motivation to do whatever is necessary to reduce their 
incoming spam load.  (And as they work on the list, the benefits of doing so are 
IMMEDIATE and obvious to them).

I think that kind of near-instantaneous positive feedback is important for 
people to go to the effort of tuning their permissions lists.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg