Subject: [Asrg] 3. Requirements - Non Spam must go through

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:23:29 -0500

> Just ran across this quote from the John Gilmore of the EFF 
(http://www.politechbot.com/p-04927.html):

> ----snip----
After years of divisive discussions, a very similar pledge/oath/policy was 
what EFF was able to come to agreement on:

> "Any measure for stopping spam must ensure that all non-spam messages reach 
their intended recipients."

> Perhaps none of us has yet come up with a silver bullet to solve the 
problem of spam -- but it IS within our power to solve the problem of
overzealous anti-spam measures.
----snip----

That's one advantage of my Permissions List approach... at least implemented at 
the recipient end... anything it filters out HAS "reached" its "intended 
recipient" and it's NOT required that ANY recipient actually READ all their 
incoming mail.

You might subscribe to a daily newspaper, but I doubt that ANYBODY reads 
everything in it.  I get a lot of E-mails which (based on who they're from or 
what the subject line says) I know I don't *need* to read.  I read some, skip 
some, just archive some others.  

The Permissions List combined with content filters would help me to decide which 
E-mails I want to read... just as an executive secretary might decide which 
mails a busy executive wants to read, or which telephone calls he might want to 
take or return.  The daily digest of mail held helps me further by highlighting 
the reasons why each given message was held, and in most cases I could just scan 
down the list and concur with what the system decided.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support the Anti-SPAM Amendment!  Join at http://www.cauce.org/
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "C. Wegrzyn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 06:52:52 -0400

Given the recent "late postings" I have seen, I thought I would remind 
you of a very nice feature of the ASRG group. For those of you that feel 
the need to discuss an issue I might suggest you motor over to 
http://www.elan.net/~william/asrg/index.htm . William Leibzon has done a 
very nice job of categorizing all the topics and pointing to relevant 
emails that summarize the discussion.

Chuck Wegrzyn