Subject: [Asrg] 2a. Spam Measurement - SenderBase.com

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 16:13:28 -0400

I recently ran across this website, www.senderbase.com, operated by 
IronPort who also operate www.BondedSender.com. This site, SenderBase, 
seems to be a collection of spam statistics split up by domain/IP,etc. It 
might come in pretty useful although I cannot figure out what their sources 
are.

Yakov 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 17:17:58 -0400

Thank you for pointing this out.

At 05:13 PM 7/1/2003 -0400, Olson, Margaret wrote:

> From their help page:
>
>
>How do you estimate email volumes?
>In general, we use a "sampling" approach, similar to the method a company 
>like Nielsen might use for their TV ratings. We receive data feeds from 
>over 6,000 domains (mostly from small to mid-size ISP's, universities and 
>companies) participating in Bonded Sender about how much incoming email 
>traffic they get. We then parse this data by sending domain and IP address 
>and scale up our estimates based on our estimate of the % of email volume 
>that participating email receivers represent as a % of total email volume.
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: Yakov Shafranovich 
>[<mailto:[email-masked]>mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, July 01, 2003 4:13 PM
>To: [email-masked]
>Subject: [Asrg] 2a. Spam Measurement - SenderBase.com
>

---

From: "Kurt Magnusson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 06:20:22 -0200

Yakov Shafranovich wrote:
.....
>>their TV ratings. We receive data feeds from over 6,000 domains
.........
>>We then parse this data by sending domain and IP address and scale up our 
>>estimates based on our estimate of the % of email
.......
>>>From: Yakov Shafranovich I recently ran across this website, 
>>>www.senderbase.com,
........
>>>seems to be a collection of spam statistics split up by domain/IP,etc.

It is really a pity, that they did not parse the URL:s used in the spams
as well.  Then we really would have had a good picture of what real
spam domains there is.

Kurt Magnusson

_________________________________________________________________
Protect your PC - get McAfee.com VirusScan Online 
http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963

---

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 11:47:19 -0400

At 06:20 AM 7/2/2003 -0200, Kurt Magnusson wrote:

>>>We then parse this data by sending domain and IP address and scale up 
>>>our estimates based on our estimate of the % of email
>.......

I think SpamCop keeps a database of links but I don't know if its public.