Subject: [Asrg] 1a. Inventory of Problems - Description of New Subgroup

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 01:59:21 -0500

This information can also be found at:
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/problems.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
This subgroup will research and list problems in the current email 
architechture relevant to spam.

Goals:
1. Research into why email allows easier abuse than other messaging 
systems, including comparison with other systems.
2. Research into why SMTP is subject to abuse more than other protocols.
3. Research into which related areas need to be addressed, including 
viruses, worms, DDOS attacks, etc. This will not involve actual research 
into these areas, rather determining whether some of these areas require 
attention by the IETF/IRTF and the wider Internet community.
4. Produce a document listing areas in the current email architechture 
that faciliate junk email and network abuse, and the impact of each area 
on the overall problem

Status:
Currently in formation

Membership:
This subgroup has a closed membership policy, to join contact the ASRG 
chairs

Intended Participants:
o IETF and Internet experts knowledgeable in SMTP, DNS and other 
relevant protocols
o People knowledgeable in architechtural issues surrounding email and 
the Internet, and with experience in deploying, managing and changing 
large scale systems
o Security experts, especially knowledgable in securing large scale systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send" (Jon 
Postel)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg