Subject: [Asrg] 2a. Best Current Practices - Description of New Subgroup

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:05:06 -0500

This information can also be found at:
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/bcp.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
This subgroup will research and document best practices for spam management.

Goals:
1. Review RFC 2505 - "Anti-Spam Recommendations for SMTP MTAs", and 
produce an outline and prototypes of suggested changes.
2. Review RFCs 2635 - "DON'T SPEW A Set of Guidelines for Mass 
Unsolicited Mailings and Postings (spam*)"3098 - "How to Advertise 
Responsibly Using E-Mail and Newsgroups or - how NOT to $$$$$ MAKE 
ENEMIES FAST! $$$$", and either produce an outline of changes with 
suggestions, or a recommendation to make the RFCs historical with an 
explanation.
3. Research BCPs for other areas including community support, sufficient 
interest, prototype documents, and draft charters for IETF WGs. Possible 
BCPs include end users, ISPs, blacklists, abuse desk staff, MUAs, MTAs, 
etc.
4. At some point transfer documents to the IETF for standardization.

Status:
Previous BCP subgroup has been active from September of 2003 until 
December of 2003 when it was shutdown due to lack of active members. 
This subgroup is currently in formation, will be restarting in February
of 2004.

Membership:
This subgroup has a closed membership policy, to join contact the ASRG 
chairs

Intended Participants:
o ISPs and MTA administrators including abuse desk staff
o Blacklist operators and anti-spam databases of spammers such as SpamHaus
o Developers of abuse help desk systems such as Abacus, AbusePipe, etc.
o Email senders/advertisers
o End users
o Developers of MTAs and MUAs
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"I ate your Web page. / Forgive me. It was juicy / And tart on my 
tongue." (MIT's 404 Message)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg