Subject: [Asrg] trojans in the IETF ?

From: "Tom Petch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 14:54:42 -0000

I just got an unwanted e-mail offering an improvement in performance
directed to several IETF lists namely
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],  [email-masked],
[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Three things puzzle me. I am subscribed to more than one of these lists but
only received the mail on idr - why the inconsistency?

Second, the e-mail contains a check saying hits 8.4 required 5 so  why did
it get sent it at all?

And, I extracted enough of the header to identify the mail and sent it off
to idr-admin to get back a message saying blocked by s p a m control; err
yes, the IETF can send it to me but I cannot tell the IETF what they are
doing.

Explanations, especially conspiracy theories, appreciated.

Tom Petch

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:36:37 -0800

--On 12. mars 2004 14:54 +0000 Tom Petch <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Three things puzzle me. I am subscribed to more than one of these lists
> but only received the mail on idr - why the inconsistency?

I guess the others were blocking nonsubscriber mails....

> Second, the e-mail contains a check saying hits 8.4 required 5 so  why did

Spamassassin is run in test mode - mark, but do not block. Switching to 
blocking mode is being considered, but people wanted experience with the 
rate of false positives. (note - it seems to be low)

> yes, the IETF can send it to me but I cannot tell the IETF what they are

Some individual mailboxes at IETF secretariat utilize mailblocking, even 
while the list does not..... I'm not even sure idr-admin is at the 
secretariat; it might be the list moderators (often the WG chairs).
> Explanations, especially conspiracy theories, appreciated.

sad to disappoint :-)