Subject: [Asrg] 2c. Abuse Reporting Standards - Description of New Subgroup

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 02:09:00 -0500

This information can also be found at:
http://asrg.sp.am/subgroups/abuse_reports.shtml

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description:
This subgroup will investigate standards for email and network abuse 
reports. It will coordinate with similar efforts in the IETF (IDWG and 
INCH).

Goals:
1. Research the requirements for abuse reporting format and protocol - 
what information should be included, standard replies, multiple vs. 
single messages being reported, incomplete reports, how should reports 
be exchanged, what types of network abuse are covered, etc.
2. Research possible formats - XML vs. MIME, etc. Since this is a 
research group, multiple proposals are possible.
3. Research possible protocols - via email, via SOAP/HTTP, etc. Since 
this is a research group, multiple proposals are possible.
4. Research a BCP for both reporters and receivers of abuse reports, 
including standard procedures, standard abuse contact information, etc.
5. At some point transfer documents to the IETF for standardization.

Status:
Currently in formation, will be starting in February of 2004.

Membership:
This subgroup has a closed membership policy, to join contact the ASRG 
chairs

Intended Participants:
o ISPs and MTA administrators
o Blacklist operators and databases of spammers such as SpamHaus (which 
store evidence and test open relays)
o Systems that assist with abuse reports such as SpamCop, Abuse.net, etc.
o Developers of abuse help desk systems such as Abacus, AbusePipe, etc.

Possible other participants:
o Law enforcement and legal representatives, i.e. FTC, Cyveliance, etc. 
IF this format is also used to report spammers for prosecution
o RIR and ICANN representatives IF we need to investigate ways to store 
contact information
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG

-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary 
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" (Benjamin Franklin)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg