Subject: RE: RE: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Legal - Subject labelling (?)

From: "Chris" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 10:50:12 +1030

> > I think we should probably say that we don't recommend a spam labelling
> > standard.  I'd rather concentrate on NO UCE and labelling for MTAs that
> > don't accept spam.
> >
> >
>
> What does this mean? I have users who wish to receive commercial
> email that
> they haven't explicitly solicited. Does this mean I should have UCE PLEASE
> in my banners? I have other users who are more normal, so should I have NO
> UCE (FOR THE MOST PART) in my banners? Or what? This proposition is
> contrary to the recipient-consent basis that this group is chartered on.
> I'm very surprised that it should be proffered by one of the co-chairs.
>

I agree a blanket or scattergun (cluster bombs) approach is no good and will
never get accepted by those who send and those who receive.

this is one of the major problems with IP blacklists
they are counter productive and damage all they touch

an example I was doing a programming job for a university. they stopped
emailing me. when I looked harder I found they were being blocked by an IP
blacklist.
that was only last week!

the first thing that must be agreed on is that spam is not spam to everyone

once that is accepted as the truth then we can move on to better control
systems

Regards
Chris

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg