Subject: [Asrg] 6. Proposals - Pull vs. Push - New subgroup?

From: Yakov Shafranovich <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 12:00:45 -0500

Based on our internal discussions, review of the list discussion, and 
comments from other people, the chairs have come to a conclusion that at 
this time a "pull" group would not be created.

There are two arguments that were put forth in the list discussion. One 
contingent was arguing that providing "pull" channels for marketers, can 
help mitigate spam if most legit marketers switch over to "pull" leaving 
only spammers in the email realm. However, it seems to us that until 
"pull" standards are improved and there is better integration with 
email, that will not happen. The second contingent was arguing for 
overhauling the email infrastructure to do pull instead of push (this 
would include IM2000 proposal for example).

Both of these would require either changes in pull standards such as 
RSS, better integration between "pull" and email standards, or changes 
to existing email standards. All of these have very strenuous connection 
to the mission of the ASRG. Therefore, it seems to us that while there 
might exist significant reasons and motivations for these discussions, 
the ASRG would not be an appropriate forum for such subgroup. This work 
would be a more appropriate discussion for either the RSS folks, IRTF in 
general, ietf-smtp or ietf-822, or some other group.

Since these ideas are viable, I would suggest that interested parties 
organize themselves into their own group. If you wish want to pursue 
this topic as a new IRTF group than I will be happy to forward your 
request to the IRTF chair and provide background information. I will 
also be happy to provide background information if you want to take this 
to a different group.

Sincerely,
Yakov Shafranovich
Co-Chair, ASRG
-------
Yakov Shafranovich / asrg <at> shaftek.org
SolidMatrix Technologies, Inc. / research <at> solidmatrix.com
"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" (Lord 
Acton)
-------

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg