Subject: [Asrg] S/MIME irony...

From: Jim Witte <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 01:57:04 -0500

> No, but it's a good indication that S/MIME isn't ready for prime time
> <snip>
> -- 
> <URL:http://www.pobox.com/~meta/>
> --Apple-Mail-2-764092391
> Content-Type: application/pkcs7-signature;
> 	name=smime.p7s
> Content-Disposition: attachment;
> 	filename=smime.p7s
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
>
> MIAGCSqGSIb3DQEHAqCAMIACAQE
> <S-NIIIIPPP!>

   Ironic how in a discussion on S/MIME and it's role in curtailing spam 
on the Interent that almost 40KB of the digest is composed of 
non-human-readable p7s attachments, which is about 81% (estimate based 
on ~39846 p7s bytes/49026 total bytes)

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Doug Royer <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:08:40 -0700

Jim Witte wrote:

>   Ironic how in a discussion on S/MIME and it's role in curtailing 
> spam on the Interent that almost 40KB of the digest is composed of 

Why does this bother you?

-- 

Doug Royer                     |   http://INET-Consulting.com
-------------------------------|-----------------------------
[email-masked]                 | Office: (208)520-4044
http://Royer.com/People/Doug   | Fax:    (866)594-8574
                               | Cell:   (208)520-4044

              We Do Standards - You Need Standards

---

From: Andreas Saurwein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 13:33:46 -0300

>Why does this bother you?

The same way as it bothers me when people attach to their replies the 
original mail instead of quoting it. The attachments folder of my Eudora 
inbox is filled with hundreds of useless winmail.dat, smime.* and other 
similar files.
One could blame it of course onto the mail client(s), but I think it rather 
falls in the same category as the discussion about upgrading/replacing mail 
servers.

However, keep sending your smime.p7s, they might become useful one day.

Andreas