Subject: RE: [Asrg] Re: SPF abused by spammers

From: "Sauer, Damon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 15:31:58 -0500

[snip]
> The only way I can understand SPF is as a way to distinguish spam from
> non-spam on a single sending MTA. If the ISP thinks a host sends only
> spam, aren't there are easier ways to deal with the situation?
> 

Bright ideas are always welcomed. Got any?

And SPF does nothing to identify spam- ONLY to validate the sending
domain to an IP address. That's it. No more.
This is only one piece of the puzzle but a necessary one. More are
needed in the fight against spam.

I have been participating since day 2. Not all of my ideas were good
ones, some were. Of those, some were incorporated, some were not. Add
that to everyone else's input and I believe we have a pretty good plan.
I am glad we are moving forward.

Regards,
Damon Sauer 

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Barry Shein <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:18:11 -0400

> needed in the fight against spam.

Why is it necessary?

It's amazing how many times this idea is disabused but people will
shamelessly stand up and make these vague and mysterious claims, like
used car salesmen...

   We have a plan so secret, so subtle, that not even the enemy will
   notice it when it's fully in place! In fact, it will have
   absolutely no effect on the enemy it is such a brilliantly subtle
   plan! Moo-hah-hah.

What a fraudulent load of crap.

-- 
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | [email-masked]           | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 617-739-0202        | Login: 617-739-WRLD
The World              | Public Access Internet     | Since 1989     *oo*

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:58:51 -0400 (EDT)

Barry Shein <[email-masked]> wrote:

[SPF]

> Why is it necessary?

It isn't.  It's _useful_ in some circumstances.

Seth