Subject: [Asrg] fake messages

From: Krishna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 09:44:33 +0530

hi,

SMTP can act as a relay server. This property can be misused by the
spammers ( one who sends spams) to send fake messages. This is a
serious problem because an ordinary man does not check the inner
details of the mail, he just sees the from address.
It was even possible to send fake messages to the popular mail
accounts (like yahoo,gmail) which are using some kind of spam filters.

I got a free account from a Internet service provider with SMTP and
JSP support. then i wrote a simple program in JavaMail, using which it
was very easy for me to send fake messages, i mean it was possible to
send a message and make it appear as if it came from some else.

Also i found that many ISP's are not using any kind of filters. I
think that using filter would not completely solve this problem. Also
this is the from the start of SMTP protocol. I wonder why this problem
is not yet solved ( if solved i would not have been possible for me to
send fake message).

Please let me know the improvements and research going on to avoid
this so that I can try to solve this problem.Also, please let me know
if these issues are being addressed elsewhere.

thanks
-- 
Krishna
http://geocities.com/krishna_ani

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: "Peter J. Holzer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:31:59 +0100

On 2004-11-02 09:44:33 +0530, Krishna wrote:
[open relays and faked senders]
> if these issues are being addressed elsewhere.

Please see the archives of this list at
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/asrg/current/index.html (and also
the archives of the various sub-groups) and the
documentsa on this working groups home page at http://asrg.sp.am/. These
issues have been discussed many times and many partial solutions have
been proposed.

	hp

-- 
   _  | Peter J. Holzer    | Je höher der Norden, desto weniger wird
|_|_) | Sysadmin WSR       | überhaupt gesprochen, also auch kein Dialekt.
| |   | [email-masked]         | Hallig Gröde ist fast gänzlich dialektfrei.
__/   | http://www.hjp.at/ |   -- Hannes Petersen in desd
_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg