Subject: Re: [Asrg] RE: article: port 25 blocking (Barry Shein)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 02:38:05 +0000 (GMT)

> [email-masked] wrote:

>> Blocking (or throttling) port 25 only guarantees that SMTP servers
> will start accepting mail on other, non-blocked, non-compromised
> ports.

> Please explain why I would want my mail swerver to accept mail on
other ports, given that it's almost certainly spam (because it's only
sent on those ports because the sending machine has port 25 blocked
because its ISP doesn't think it should be sending email directly).

First, I can't speak at all regarding *YOUR* specific SMTP server.

But I'll give you an example. 

My "terabites.com" domain is registered through DomainDirect.  Among other 
things they provide a number of mail services to support my use of that domain.

People who use DomainDirect domains but whose local ISP doesn't allow them to 
use personal vanity domains on mails the ISP forwards, and which ISP also blocks 
port 25 to prevent the subscriber from sending mail using their OWN local 
outgoing mail server, are thus basically forced to use some other (non-blocked) 
port made available for that purpose by DomainDirect (and I presume that other 
domain providers do the same).

> If you want to go out of your way to accept spam, be my guest.  I don't think 
most of the rest of us will.

It's not intrinsically harder (or easier) to send spam whether one uses port 25 
or any other port, all other things being equal.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg