Subject: Re: [Asrg] Re: whitelisting

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 02:32:04 +0000 (GMT)

> [email-masked] wrote:

>> "Unsolicited mail" is NOT automatically a bad thing... for example,
> if you're in the "customer relations" department for a consumer
> product manufacturer, the GREAT majority of what you're going to
> receive is from people you've never gotten E-mail from before.

> That doesn't make it unsolicited.  If you asked for it (for instance,
you put on your web site "If you want to comment about our products,
send email to . . .") then it's solicited by definition.

I don't agree.

I put my E-mail address on my Web site, but that does NOT mean that I have 
"solicited" any spam that some e-mail-address-harvesting spammer decides to try 
to dump on me.

The fact that I solicit mail from clients and other specific people does NOT 
mean that I necessarily want any and all mail from Nigerian sleazebags or 
lottery scammers.

Gordon Peterson                  http://personal.terabites.com/
1977-2002  Twenty-fifth anniversary year of Local Area Networking!
Support free and fair US elections!  http://stickers.defend-democracy.org
12/19/98: Partisan Republicans scornfully ignore the voters they "represent".
12/09/00: the date the Republican Party took down democracy in America.

_______________________________________________
Asrg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/asrg

---

From: Seth Breidbart <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 23:13:38 -0400 (EDT)

(I wrote:)
>> send email to . . .") then it's solicited by definition.

I think you need to read more carefully.

> I put my E-mail address on my Web site, but that does NOT mean that
> I have "solicited" any spam that some e-mail-address-harvesting
> spammer decides to try to dump on me.
>
> The fact that I solicit mail from clients and other specific people
> does NOT mean that I necessarily want any and all mail from Nigerian
> sleazebags or lottery scammers.

If I put on my web site "If you've solved this math problem <problem>
please let me know at <address>" and someone solves the problem and
tells me how by sending email to <address> then I've clearly solicited
that email.  Anybody who read my web site would agree.  If someone
wrote "I got halfway there but I'm stuck at . . ." that's arguable but
nobody sensible would claim he's spamming.

If someone told me about the $millions she was trying to smuggle out
of the Vatican that would be unsolicited.

A statement that I _want_ specific types of email is soliciting _those
specific types of email_.

Seth