Subject: Re: [Asrg] Soundness of silence

From: Ian Eiloart <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 11:56:48 +0100

--On 16 June 2009 14:55:08 -0400 Bill Cole <[email-masked]> 
wrote:

>
> Figuring out a way to get the tools for online accountability into
> essentially universal use without a pre-existing adjunct authoritarian
> polity and without creating the tools for rapid creation of a new
> authoritarian polity would be a very interesting and challenging research
> goal. I think it is outside of IRTF scope.

Surely it's the only way forward, even if it's a long road.

Accountability doesn't have to go all the way back to the sender - it can 
rest with domain and host admins. At the moment, IP reputation services are 
quite mature, but they're not really usable - you can't ask email 
recipients to list IP addresses that they trust. Domain reputation services 
aren't usable because, in the absence of widespread adoption of 
technologies that

-- 
Ian Eiloart
IT Services, University of Sussex
01273-873148 x3148
For new support requests, see http://www.sussex.ac.uk/its/help/