Subject: [Asrg] MUA as MSA or MTA (was Re: What are the IPs that sends mail for a domain?)

From: "J.D. Falk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:09:02 -0600

Alessandro Vesely wrote:

 > Being suspicious about their ESPs, those users may prefer to
> deliver directly whenever possible. That is the only reason I see for
> attempting a direct delivery first, and it is a largely suboptimal
> solution anyway (e.g. it provides no reliable storage for sent messages.)

What you're describing, here, is a vanishingly tiny minority of users.

-- 
J.D. Falk

---

From: Alessandro Vesely <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:31:00 +0200

> What you're describing, here, is a vanishingly tiny minority of users.

Not if you think of all the intermediate measures, from exim+mutt to 
ibm.com, say. Devising a clever configuration that allows to relay 
directly or route to a smarthost based on sound principles would be 
useful almost everywhere.

For privacy, I, for one, wouldn't like _all_ my mail to go through 
gmail. Too much rope.

For efficiency, offices with a few or more people exchange most of 
their mail internally. Does it make sense to cross the ocean and 
back? In addition, some like to control newsletters notifications as 
directly as possible, including having the final MTA's response.

However, even a large company my find out that delivering some mail 
trough a large MSA may increase their deliverability. (I'm not sure 
gmail would still be free for ibm.com using it as a smarthost, but 
it might.)