Subject: [Asrg] non-domain E-mail addresses

From: Gordon Peterson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:32:52 -0500

> We use IP address reputation services because there's nothing else we can
use, in the absence of some way to authenticate the sender address. Of
course, those mechanisms exist and are widely deployed but not universally,
or even by a majority of domains. When they become so, we'll no doubt see
domain based reputation services, and even address based reputation
services being used as much as IP address reputation services are.

And that does bring up an interesting question.  There's really nothing that 
says that E-mail address have to be domain-based e-mail addresses, I could just 
as easily distribute an e-mail address of the form [email-masked] 
...obviously though that address could change with little notice.

IP address-based return addressess have an even more tenuous association with a 
given sender and their mail server they are relaying through (especially when 
that sender is mobile).

-- 

Gordon Peterson II
http://personal.terabites.com
1977-2007:  Thirty year anniversary of local area networking