Subject: [atoca] Terminal Behaviour

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:19:22 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 August 2011 12:37
To: [email-masked]'; 'Richard L. Barnes'
Cc: [email-masked]'
Subject: RE: [atoca] iOS 5 tied into Japanese early warning system

Hi Arnoud;

Yes, you are right, 

The Japanese ETWS, European EU-ALERT and US CMAS, are indeed, as Brian says,
implemented by regular vanilla flavoured standard Cell Broadcast. (Though I
think Japan has an additional method over the paging channel also, which is
more rapid but only delivers a special tone indication).

The main new feature required in addition to normal cell broadcast is a
special more intrusive 'alert tone' (which has already been defined in the
USA) and 'attention getting' behaviour such as pop ups and flashing, from
the terminal in case of an alert message.  

The behaviour of the terminal decides what happens when you receive a cell
broadcast message. It is perfectly possible for the terminal to have
vibration and flashing to get attention on receipt of a cell broadcast
message, just the same as receiving a SMS message. This is set by the user
from the MMI menu system.   

I understand that there is a move at the 3GPP to include new flags in unused
bits of the 'serial number' of the 023.041 standard so that pop-up and
special alert tone can be demanded. But in the mean time, the terminal can
deduce this from the MI number. 

This is why there has been sustained effort for many years to define a range
of addresses for which more intrusive behaviour is required, so that
terminal vendors can use this in the interim.

In fact one driving reason why the Netherlands chose to use cell broadcast
is exactly so that the deaf are not disadvantaged by its use (over the more
traditional sirens), I think the University of Delft (Netherlands) made a
detailed study about this. I think Wim Van Setten and Dick Gerbrands of SPMM
were involved in that study.  Perhaps one of our Netherlands colleagues can
point you to that study.

I wonder if Mr Daley can tell us what the status is of the proposed flags
for setting this behaviour.  Was it included in the standard yet?

Warm regards, Mark Wood.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Arnoud van Wijk
Sent: 23 August 2011 11:15
To: Richard L. Barnes
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [atoca] iOS 5 tied into Japanese early warning system

Another question is what if you are deaf or hard of hearing?
Will it vibrate? How long? How strong?
Will it blend? (oh that is something else :-))

But cell broadcast is a good thing that is essential for people who have 
no or low ability to receive audio alerts like sirens for Tsunami, 
Earthquakes, Tornadoes or any other disaster like a chemical spill.

/Arnoud

---

From: "DALY, BRIAN K (ATTSI)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 16:22:00 +0000

Mark -

It is already in 3GPP 23.041 Release 11:

In the case of transmitting CBS messages for ETWS, i.e. the Message Identifier has a value for ETWS (see subclause 9.4.1.2.2), a part of Message Code can be used to command mobile terminals to activate emergency user alert and message popup in order to alert the users. Message Code format for this purpose is as follows:
5

4

3

2

1

0

7

6

5

4

Emergency User Alert

Popup

NOTE 1:   The exact behaviour of the UE is specified in 3GPP TS 22.268 [28]. Whether the UE setting is overridden is subject to regulatory requirements.

NOTE 2:   Emergency user alert includes alerting tone and other user alerting means such as vibration, according to the UE’s capability. The types of alert (e.g. the kind of tone, vibration, etc) are implementation　dependent and may be subject to regulatory requirements.

NOTE 3:   The popup indication shall take precedence over the setting of the DCS Message class (see 3GPP TS 23.038 [3]), and the Geographical Scope with regard to Display Mode 'immediate'.

      The codings of the Emergency User Alert and Popup fields are shown below:
Field

Code

Instruction to Terminal

Emergency User Alert

0

No instruction as to emergency user alert.

1

Activate emergency user alert.

Popup

0

No instruction as to popup.

1

Activate popup on the display.

--------

Brian K. Daly

Director, Core Network & Govn't/Regulatory Standards

AT&T Services, Inc.

+1.425.580.6873

[email-masked]

Rethink Possible

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 5:19 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [atoca] Terminal Behaviour

-----Original Message-----

Cc: [email-masked]'

Hi Arnoud;

Yes, you are right,

point you to that study.

Warm regards, Mark Wood.

-----Original Message-----

Arnoud van Wijk

To: Richard L. Barnes

Cc: [email-masked]

/Arnoud

_______________________________________________

atoca mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/atoca

---

From: "Mark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 17:45:07 +0100

Oh excellent!

Thank you Brian;

Can I indulge your kindness to explain to us how the Japanese ETWS 'primary'
alert system works? I think that it uses the paging channel in some way, as
it only triggers a tone and does not send any text (as I understand it) but
I would appreciate some clarity on how it works and if it will become part
of the general standard or just adopted in Japan.

Anyone Know?

Mark

 

  _____  

From: DALY, BRIAN K (ATTSI) [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: 23 August 2011 17:22
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [atoca] Terminal Behaviour

Mark -