Subject: atmVxlStatTaggedOuts

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 09:37:02 -0500

I don't see where draft-ietf-atommib-atm2-16 did anything to address the
issues with atmVclStatTaggedOuts  and atmVclStatTaggedOuts.  I am concerned
that, if I understand these counters, they are extremely difficult or
impossible to implement.

The problem is that cells are tagged by the policing entity associated with
the INPUT interface.  I am not familiar with an reason to tag cells at
OUTPUT. So why are the tagged cells being counted at the OUTPUT interface?
The output interface has no way of knowing whether a given CLP=1 cell was
received with CLP=1, or whether it was tagged by the policing entity.   If
a CLP=1 cell is dropped after passing the policing entity, there is no way
to know whether it was a tagged cell or received as CLP=1.  So counting
CLP=1 vs tagged at output seems pretty much impossible; you can only count
transmitted CLP=1 cells, not knowing whether they were tagged or originally
CLP=1.

If I am in the weeds here someone please correct me.  Otherwise I believe
we need to look at the requirement driving the inclusion of these objects,
and find a more reasonable way of meeting it.