Subject: Question for ATM user group

From: "Cantwell, Donald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:38:53 -0500

I have a few questions about how to represent an E.164 ATM address as a
value and as part of an object instance id.

In the AtmAddr textual-convention that is defined in RFC2514, an E.164 ATM
address is specified as being 8 octets, or 16 octets if an E.164 address and
subaddress are concatenated together. In the ATM UNI Signalling, Version
4.0, specification, an E.164 ATM address is defined as being up to 15 digits
long. How are the 1-15 digits encoded into an 8 byte octet string? The ATM
UNI spec states that these digits are BCD encoded; I'm assuming that 2 BCD
digits are stored in 1 octet. Is this correct? If there are an odd number of
digits, how is the octet that contains one digit padded. How is the octet
string padded if all 8 octets don't contain digits?

Thanks in advance,
Ira

Ira Wolf
Member of Technical Staff
Sonus Networks, Inc.
5 Carlisle Rd.
Westford, MA 01886