Subject: Draft AToMMIB Minutes

From: Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:30:55 -0500

AToM MIB WG (atommib)
IETF 52,  Salt Lake City
Tuesday, December 11 at 1545-1645
Attendance 20

Chairs: Faye Ly <[email-masked]> and Nathan Kohn <[email-masked]>
Many thanks to Mike aka C. M. Heard for these minutes

1. Agenda - Nathan Kohn:  see http://www.ietf.org/ietf/01dec/atommib.txt

    Changes to published agenda:  Mike Heard stated that the time slot
    for WIS issues would not be needed since everything would be covered
    in the SONET-MIB status discussion.

2. Trunk Mibs (RFC 2493 - 2496) - Orly Nicklass

    Refer to Orly's slides or her e-mail to the AToMMIB list dated
    12 Sept 2001 for the issues in the DS1 and DS3 MIBs (RFC 2495
    and RFC 2496) that were discussed at the meeting.

    Issue 1 (Ken Chapman/Unisphere):    SYNTAX of dsx1FracIfIndex
    and dsx3FracIfIndex don't match the DESCRIPTION clause.
    Proposed resolution:  change SYNTAX to INTEGER (0..'7fffffff'h).
    There were no objections.

    Issue 2 (Subrahmanya Hedge/Cisco):  add several enums for dsx3LineType
    and add dsx3InternalEqualizer object.  The editor (Orly) indicated a
    reluctance to make these changes without further information (in
    particular she would like to have a reference to a standards
    document to explain what each proposed line type enum means).  Mike
    Heard notes that adding the new object would force recycling and
    suggested that it not be done, but suggested that she contact the
    requestor and add the line type enums if satisfactory references
    were forthcoming.

    Issue 3 (Orly Nicklass/RAD):        add "adaptive" enum for
    dsx1TransitClockSource and add several perfomance counter objects.
    Orly's leanings were to add the enum but not the new objects.
    There were no objections.

    Issue 4 (Subrahmanya Hedge/Cisco):  add two enums for dsx1LineType.
    Proposed resolution:  the enums are derived from modes defined in
    ITU-T G.704 and on that basus Orly stated that she intends to add
    them.  There were no objections.

    Issue 5 (Ron Carmona/Accelerated Networks):  add objects to support
    long haul trasceivers, whose line build out circuitry is calibrated
    in terms of attenuation rather than cable length.  The editor (Orly)
    indicated that she is inclined to add such objects and presented a
    specific proposal (see slides).  Mike Heard agreed that these additions
    are probably the right thing to do technically, although doing so would
    probably force recycling at proposed standard.  Bob Ray [?] mentioned
    that an alternative to Orly's enum for attenuation settings would be
    an integer holding the actual value.  Proposed resolution:  at editor's
    discretion objects may be added in next draft.

    Issue 6 (Subrahmanya Hedge/Cisco):  there are annoying idiosyncrasies
    in the individual MIBs with regards to interval stats.  In particular,
    some MIBs (e.g. DS1 and DS3) require 96 15-minute intervals and others
    (SONET-MIB) do not.  Mike Heard took the action item to see if it would
    be legal to make the DS1 and DS3 less restrictive like the SONET-MIB,
    which allows 96 intervals but requires only 4.  Most of the other
    idiosyncrasies we'll probably just have to live with.

    It was agreed that Orly will post I-Ds containing revised trunk MIBs
    shortly after the I-D blackout has ended.  The editor will propose a
    resolutions for open issues that have received no feedback, subject
    as always to WG ratification on the mailing list.

3. HC-TC MIB - Bob Ray

    Bob Ray summarized <draft-ray-hc-tc-00.txt>, which contains 64-bit
    versions of the textual conventions in RFC 2493.  This submission
    borrows liberally from RFC 2493 and was discussed in the AToMMIB
    meeting mainly in deference to the authors of RFC 2493.  At present
    the only "customer" for these TCs is the VDSL MIB that is being
    developed in the ADSL MIB working group.  Mike Heard pointed out that
    these high-capacity TCs are not needed by the MIB modules for which
    the AToMMIB WG is responsible and suggested that the ADSL MIB WG would
    probably be a better home for it.  ADSL MIB WG chair Michael Sneed
    stated that this arrangement would be satisfactory, and AToMMIB
    co-chair Nathan Kohn agreed.

4. SONET MIB (RFC 2558) status - Mike Heard

    Mike Heard, appearing on behalf of SONET-MIB editor Kaj Tesink,
    summarized the changes relative to RFC 2558 in the draft that Kaj
    posted to the AToMMIB mailing list on 21 Nov 2001 and went over
    the steps that remain before the SONET-MIB can be advanced to
    Draft Standard.  Three implementation reports have been posted to
    the AToMMIB list;  these reports provide evidence of at least two
    implementations of each group _except_ for sonetVTStuff2 and
    sonetFarEndVTStuff2, and so at least one more implementation report
    including those groups is needed.  In addition, RFC 2493 needs to
    advance as well;  the SONET-MIB reports cover two of three TCs in
    that MIB, but we need implementation reports for the other trunk
    MIBs in order to cover the third TC.

    Another issue is that the ETHER-WIS MIB can't be published until
    the recently posted update to RFC 2558 is published because it
    depends on one of the changes (support for STS-192c path width).
    According to the current schedule the ETHER-WIS MIB is supposed to
    go to WG last call in early February, and it was suggested that if
    the implementation reports needed to advance the SONET-MIB are not
    available by that time then the WG should consider re-publication
    without advancement.  The WG can request advancement later when the
    implementation reports become available.

5. Optical Interface MIB - Kam Lam

    Kam Lam summarized changes to <draft-ietf-atommib-opticalmib-02.txt>
    that eh thinks are needed.  Some are editorial;  others are needed to
    align the MIB with recent changes made by the ITU.  Details, including
    a URL for the version -02b draft with these changes, are in Kam's
    slides.  It was agreed that when the I-D blackout ends this version
    will be submitted as -03 to the I-D repository for WG last call.
    After issues raised in WG last call are dealt with, this MIB module
    will be submitted to the IESG for consideration as a proposed standard.
    Note that this MIB module will not cover optical cross-connects or
    performance monitoring because the ITU work in these areas is not
    complete.  Those may be the subjects of future supplemental MIBs.

6. Implementation reports - Nathan Kohn

    Nathan Kohn stated that he had not received an update from co-chair
    Faye Ly by the time of the meeting, so the only implementation
    reports of which he was aware were the three reports for the
    SONET-MIB that were posted to the AToMMIB mailing list.

---

From: "Lam, Hing-Kam (Kam)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:52:31 -0500

Nathan,

I would like to provide a clarification the part on the Optical Interface
MIB (i.e., item #5) of the Minutes. The second last sentence states that
"Note that this MIB module will not cover optical cross-connects or
performance monitoring because the ITU work in these areas is not complete."
In this sentence, performance monitoring should be qualified as OTN
performance monitoring. The current MIB does cover performance monitoring
for Pre-OTN DWDM. So I would like to suggest modifying the second last
sentence to: "Note that this MIB module will not cover optical
cross-connects or OTN performance monitoring because the ITU work in these
areas is not complete yet."

Given that, I suggest changing the names of the PM Object Groups (near the
end of the MIB, before the compliance specification) to avoid confusion
between Pre-OTN and OTN performance monitoring. That is, change
optIfOTSnPMGroup, optIfOMSnPMGroup, and optIfOChPMGroup to
optIfOTSnPreOtnPMGroup, optIfOMSnPreOtnPMGroup, and optIfOChPreOtnPMGroup
respectively. In addition, an optIfPreOtnPMCompl Compliance Module should be
defined. It will consist of these three Pre-OTN PM Object Groups.

I hope these suggestions are acceptable to the WG.

Regards,
Kam

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Nathan Kohn [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 1:31 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: AToM MIB; Faye Ly; Erik Nordmark; Thomas Narten
> Subject: Draft AToMMIB Minutes
> 
> 
> AToM MIB WG (atommib)
> IETF 52,  Salt Lake City
> 1. Agenda - Nathan Kohn:  see 
> http://www.ietf.org/ietf/01dec/atommib.txt
>

---

From: Orly Nicklass <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 15:03:00 +0200

Hi all,

The drafts were updated and posted reflecting decisions on items: 1,3,4,5 as
stated in the minutes .
The open issues were closed as follows:

Issue #2,After contacting Subrahmanya Hedge, we both agreed not to add any
enum for dsx3LineType as was suggested earlier, and not to
    add dsx3InternalEqualizer object, due to lack of good justification for
both.

Issue #6 Following The IETF meeting Mike sent an e-mail to all indicating
that a change will present a problem:
"In view of the clear statement that "the value will be 96 unless the
interface was brought online within the last 24 hours", I am inclined 
to think that reducing the storage requirement would be an illegal change
of semantics.  So I guess if one wishes to have one's implementations of
DS1, DS3, and SONET MIBs to be as close as possible and still be conformant
then one needs to keep 96 intervals for each one."
So no update was done.

As such,  all issues are closed as of now.

Orly
-----------------------
Orly Nicklass, Ph.D
Associate VP, R&D
RAD Data Communications, Ltd.

[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan Kohn [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, January 04, 2002 8:31 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: AToM MIB; Faye Ly; Erik Nordmark; Thomas Narten
Subject: Draft AToMMIB Minutes

AToM MIB WG (atommib)
IETF 52,  Salt Lake City

3. HC-TC MIB - Bob Ray