Subject: Re: Don't bake discrimination into the Atom core (was Re: Low-hanging fruit: multipart/alternative)

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:02:36 +1000

On 1/9/04 5:43 AM, "Robert Sayre" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> If I have a feed containing base64 video (why...), and I update a
> transcript in an alternate content element, then all those aggregators
> using conditional GET will refetch everything. It's broken.

(1) this problem is not specific to multipart,
    it applies even if *other* entries are changed

(2) but not if they are using content @src.

I like <content@src> for this over <link> since the base implication is that
@src would be fetched and cached at the same time as <entry>, while <link>
would remain unfetched until requested by the user.

e.

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 23:13:02 +0200

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 17:02:36 +1000, Eric Scheid  
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> I like <content@src> for this over <link> since the base implication is  
> that @src would be fetched and cached at the same time as <entry>, while  
> <link> would remain unfetched until requested by the user.

I agree. Though what you write mustn't necessarily be true (it is possible  
to search the entry for 'link[@rel = "content"]/@href' and download it),  
it makes the most sense.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»