Subject: Re: Even simpler versioning and extensibility

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:38:19 +0200

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 17:55:52 -0700, Paul Hoffman / IMC <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
> Greetings again. Following the recent threads, there seems to be some
> people who want the Atom core spec to really be core. Given that, I
> have created
> <http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceNoVersioningPlainExtensibility>
> as a proposal for reducing versioning and extensibility to the least
> needed. It gets us out of the managing-the-future game.
> 
> Thoughts?

A few weeks ago Dan Brickley suggested the Nature jobs feed [1] as an
example of something done with RSS 1.0 that might make a good use case
for Atom. I've pasted a snippet below.

Clearly something like this could appear within an <entry> more or
less verbatim if your Pace was followed, thanks to the use of
namespaces. But the RSS version does make explicit that "Job" is a
thing in its own right, with various characteristics. It also
explicitly expresses relationships between the <item> and the Job, the
Job and its characteristics and so on. This basic stuff can be
expanded if you have accesss to the schema, but even in itself the
feed provides a lot of info when seen through the data model used by
RSS 1.0 (see [2]).

How would the same information be conveyed in an Atom feed? Or doesn't
it matter if Atom can't do things that RSS can?
Or to put it another way, why would Nature gain if they use Atom 1.0
rather than RSS 1.0?

Cheers,
Danny. 

[1] http://www.nature.com/naturejobs/jobs/general.rdf
[2] http://dannyayers.com/2004/09/jobs.png

<item rdf:about="http://naturejobs.nature.com/texis/jobsearch/details.html?id=4107b3264a0480&amp;lookid=nature">
   <title>Novartis: Researcher</title>
   <link>http://naturejobs.nature.com/texis/jobsearch/details.html?id=4107b3264a0480&amp;lookid=nature</link>
   <description>Researcher, Novartis, Cambridge, MA United States. 
Posted on 15 September 2004.</description>
   <nj:advertises>
      <nj:Job>
         <nj:offeredBy>Novartis</nj:offeredBy>
         <nj:title>Researcher</nj:title>
         <nj:city>Cambridge</nj:city>
         <nj:state>MA</nj:state>
         <nj:country>United States</nj:country>
      </nj:Job>
   </nj:advertises>
   <nj:postedOn>2004-09-15</nj:postedOn>
   <nj:expiresOn>2004-11-30</nj:expiresOn>
</item>

-- 

http://dannyayers.com