Subject: A request to Pace authors

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 15:39:53 -0700

Hi,

It would be VERY helpful to the editors (or at least this one) if Pace 
authors specified a) the document b) its version that a Pace applies 
to; because Paces can outlast a particular version, it can get 
confusing.

Also, when you refer to parts of the document, use the section number 
*and* title; often, the document gets re-arranged (both in between 
versions, as well as in-process), making it difficult to decipher what 
changes are intended to apply to.

Thanks!

--
Mark Nottingham     http://www.mnot.net/

---

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 21:00:39 -0400

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> authors specified a) the document b) its version that a Pace applies to; 
> because Paces can outlast a particular version, it can get confusing.
> 

Would it be possible to post deltas for format drafts, like is done with 
the protocol[1]?  If that is not practical, can a historical version be 
retained for at least one cycle?  (And while I'm asking, could html 
versions be published)?  (Both, again, like the protocol editors do[2])

The reason why I'm asking... in responding to Bob Wyman, I noted that 
atom:origin was updated to reflect the atom:id.  The reason why this 
wasn't spec'ed that way in the first place was that atom:id is 
optional[3], and was the reason I gave for making atom:id required in 
the first place[4].

- Sam Ruby

[1]<http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/draft-ietf-atompub-protocol-01-from-0.diff.html>
[2]<http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/>
[3]<http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg07413.html>
[4]<http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg08610.html>

---

From: Mark Nottingham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 20:32:15 -0700

On Sep 7, 2004, at 6:00 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Would it be possible to post deltas for format drafts, like is done 
> with the protocol[1]?  If that is not practical, can a historical 
> version be retained for at least one cycle?

I am officially No Good At HTML Diffs, but a history can be found at:
   http://www.mnot.net/drafts/
Of course, if someone else wants to create them, please feel free.

An aside to the Mac users out there: FileMerge in the developer tools 
package is really, really good for comparing drafts. Try it.

> (And while I'm asking, could html versions be published)?  (Both, 
> again, like the protocol editors do[2])

There's some funniness with the stylesheet that I'm working out; once I 
get that fixed, I'll post to mnot.net/drafts.

> optional[3], and was the reason I gave for making atom:id required in 

OK. IIRC we incorporated PaceIdConstruct with the understanding that 
it's just a checkpoint, and that we're going to revisit it to clean up 
issues like this.

Cheers,

---

From: Henrik Levkowetz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 14:21:35 +0200

Hi Sam,

> versions be published)?  (Both, again, like the protocol editors do[2])

I have a set of automatically updated workgroup draft pages under
http://ietf.levkowetz.com/drafts/ , and I've added atompub there, at
http://ietf.levkowetz.com/drafts/atompub/ .  Any time a new draft is
published to the official ietf draft repository, a copy will be pulled
and placed here, and side-by-side html diffs will be generated between
the new version and the most recent previous version.  

Html-ized versions of the text format documents are also provided. Html
versions of the drafts as generated by xml2rfc, as well as xml source,
can be manually uploaded to these pages by the draft authors if desired.

	Henrik

---

From: "Michael Stillwell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 09:32:28 +0100 (BST)

> to; because Paces can outlast a particular version, it can get

That reminds me ... what does "pace" *mean*, anyway?  "contrary to the
opinion of"?  "with due respect to"?

--M.

-- 
http://beebo.org

---

From: Sam Ruby <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 07:53:02 -0400

> opinion of"?  "with due respect to"?

Originally, I was searching for an acronym.  One that perhaps combined 
words like Proposal, Atom, Change, Enhancement.  In the process I found 
a word that connoted forward motion[1], consensus[2], and peace[3].

- Sam Ruby

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pace&r=67
[2] http://www.sacklunch.net/Latin/P/pace.html
[3] http://www.columbia.edu/~fdc/pace/

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:18:59 +0200

> because Paces can outlast a particular version, it can get confusing.

That's very understandable. Can't we just add this heading to the pace  
template, so that all future paces have this information in them?

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg    -=|=-     http://virtuelvis.com/quark/
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»