Subject: Off-topic trivial: Base64 is XML-encoded?

From: "Jon Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:43:35 -0700

Forgive me for this RFE (request for education.. ha! ), but I am
implementing the Atom 0.3 XML spec and I do not recall if characters such as
'>' and '&' appear in Base64-encoded documents. When specifying Base-64
content to an XML node in general, is one supposed to XML-encode the Base64
data, or treat it as valid XML, or treat it as CDATA?
 
In other words, in C#, would one use contentNode.InnerText or
contentNode.InnerXml, or neither of these two in the case of a CDATA node?

Thanks,
Jon

---

From: Eric Scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:29:48 +1000

On 30/9/04 6:43 PM, "Jon Davis" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Forgive me for this RFE (request for education.. ha! ), but I am implementing
> the Atom 0.3 XML spec and I do not recall if characters such as '>' and '&'
> appear in Base64-encoded documents.

They don't. The Base64 character set consists of A-Za-z0-9+-=.

I found this page to be a very good explanation:

    http://www.developer.com/java/other/article.php/3386271

e.