Subject: Orchard on schemas for extensibility/versioning

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 11:54:16 +0200

This may be of interest: Dave Orchard compares RDF/OWL to XML Schema
from an extensibility/versioning perspective [1]. In his summary he
says:

[[
If we think of the main point of a schema language as defining the
language for exchanging information, it seems that RDF/OWL is a easier
to use for extensibility and versioning. Which might be no surprise
given the design centres. But given the inability to control the
schemas in all the right facets - such as mandatory extensions - it
doesn't fully solve the problems of large scale distributed system
extensibility and versioning. More work to be done....
]]

See also: comments from Mark Baker [2] (which in part addresses the
mandatory extensions issue).

[1] http://www.pacificspirit.com/Authoring/Compatibility/OWLRDFExtensibility.html
[2] http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/09/Blog/2004/09/10#2004-09-orchard-rdf
-- 

http://dannyayers.com