Subject: Re: text-only in atom:title?

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 14:35:02 +0900

At 12:26 04/08/31 -0700, Walter Underwood wrote:

>--On Tuesday, August 31, 2004 03:10:55 PM +0900 Martin Duerst 
><[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>At 15:36 04/08/30 -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
>>
>>>I was reading the debate around PaceContentAsTextOrHtml, and (maybe this
>>>has beaten to death, but I don't think so) was wondering if there would
>>>be  any support for limiting <atom:title> to text/plain content.
>>>It would sure make writing the UI of an aggregator easier.  -Tim
>>
>>It would result in limitations for internationalization, e.g. for
>>bidirectionality, for multilingual texts, for things such as ruby;
>>also e.g. for titles related to math and chemistry,...
>
>I'm not convinced.
>
>Bidirectional text doesn't require markup, does it? That is standard
>Unicode stuff.

Well, if really, really necessary.

>Multilingual text can use Unicode langage tags.

Oh no, please not. These tags have been put up in Plane 14 for a reason.
I don't think they would look good (i.e. unvisible) on any current
implementation.

>And I don't think
>explicit language marking is essential for Atom. Didn't we discuss
>that a few months ago?
>
>Ruby is extra, not essential. Yes, it is very nice to have, but
>is it common in card catalogs, etc? I've studied Japanese, and
>ruby is good stuff, but it really is extra.

For card catalogs, it definitely depends on what the cards
are about. Also, I sure have seen ruby on book titles.

>We should look at current practice in math and chemistry. I expect
>that things are usually spelled out in titles. The notation is only
>used after it is introduced in the body, right?

Both in math and in chemistry (and also in physics), there is a lot
of notation that doesn't really have to be introduced.

Regards,    Martin.

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:57:00 +0200

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:39:04 -0400, Mark Pilgrim <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-bidi-controls.html

Yes, afaik, all of U+202A, U+202B, U+202D, U+202E and U+202C can be used  
to indicate text direction. If we agree on plain text only in atom:title,  
those control codes would have to be used. If markup is allowed, bidi  
markup is of course okay.

HTML's <title> element needs to use these Unicode control codes, as far as  
I can understand, since it cannot contain markup. Or is e.g. '&#202A;'  
usable?

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»