Subject: RE : Transporting Atom Notifications over the XMLPP

From: "Laurent Le Meur" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:35:03 +0200

> http://intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/PaceRecommendIdScheme recommends using
  > newsml URNs as described in RFC 3085:
  > 
  > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3085.txt
  > 
  > If this recommendation is still up to date, then we have a potential
  > problem with updated entries. For example, using the examples in
  > draft-saintandre-atompub-notify-00, the initial atom:id for the entry
  > might be something like:
  > 
  > urn:newsml:example.org:20031213:robots:1
  > 
  > Now when the entry is modified, it might be (note the "U" tacked on the
  > end):
  > 
  > urn:newsml:example.org:20031213:robots:1U
  > 
  > The SHA1 hash will then change, resulting in a new XMPP pubsub ItemID.
  > However, we want to publish to the same ItemID since doing so overwrites
  > the existing pubsub item, thus ensuring that this is understood as an
  > update to an existing item rather than as a new item. 

[llm] Precision: when a NewsML news item is updated, we speak about a new
revision -> e.g. its identifier is modified as:
	urn:newsml:example.org:20031213:robots:2

	Note: The 'U' feature is used when a provider wants to send a
differential update of some news item (e.g. only one component of a compound
news item) ... a feature of NewsML which is scarcely used.

	This does not change your statement: a new revision of news is
considered a *new* news item, with a *new* (but related) globally unique
identifier.  So in your case the SHA1 will change. An alternative would be
to consider the revision identifier as an external part of the globally
unique identifier. This has been proposed to the NewsML WG in the scope of
NewsML 2, but it currently finds scarce support in the group. 

Regards
Laurent Le Meur

-
		AVERTISSEMENT

Le présent mail et ses pièces jointes sont confidentiels et destinés au seul usage des personnes ou entités auxquelles ils sont adressés. Si vous avez reçu cet e-mail par erreur, veuillez contacter dans les plus brefs délais son expéditeur et effacer le contenu du message de votre système informatique. Toute divulgation, distribution ou copie de cet e-mail est strictement interdite.

-
		DISCLAIMER

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the email from your system. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email.

-

---

From: Asbjørn Ulsberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 19:44:41 +0200

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:27:06 -0600, Peter Saint-Andre <[email-masked]>  
wrote:

> newsml URNs [...]

Correct. That pace is «mine».

> problem with updated entries.

The pace isn't very up to date, and it didn't get much traction at the  
time it was created, so I think it's time to withdraw it, actually.

I agree with Laurent in that an update of a news item is a new news item,  
but this view is so «controversial» in the blogging community that it's  
impossible to get into the specification and not to mention out and into  
practice.

-- 
Asbjørn Ulsberg         -=|=-        [email-masked]
«He's a loathsome offensive brute, yet I can't look away»