Subject: draft-ietf-atompub-autodiscovery-00.txt

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:27:21 +0800

I just read autodiscovery draft and I have one comment:

Section 3.2 & Section 3.3

I appreciate that autodiscovery would inherit rules for HTML/XHTML and 
hence it is very possible any of the 20+ examples cited in Section 7.3 
could be used to refer to the same index.atom. It fits the 'be liberal 
in what you accept' concept in IETF.

But could we also have a 'normative' autodiscovery element too so 
content owners can be 'prudent in what you send' too?

-James Seng

---

From: Mark Pilgrim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 08:05:39 -0400

On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 13:27:21 +0800, James Seng <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I appreciate that autodiscovery would inherit rules for HTML/XHTML ...

If there are no objections, I would be happy to dictate that @href
SHOULD be an absolute URI, @rel SHOULD be "alternate" in lowercase
with no entities, no leading or trailing spaces and no additional
keywords, and @type SHOULD be "application/atom+xml" with no spaces or
entities.

-- 
Cheers,
-Mark

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 14:16:32 +0200

> keywords, and @type SHOULD be "application/atom+xml" with no spaces or

I'm not sure this is the right approach. For instance, I may me 
producing HTML content where I don't have any control on the 
serialization (HTML output mode for XSLT comes to mind). Why deviate 
from the base spec here?

Julian

-- 
<green/>bytes GmbH -- http://www.greenbytes.de -- tel:+492512807760

---

From: James Seng <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 08:58:31 +0800

>> keywords, and @type SHOULD be "application/atom+xml" with no spaces or

and no other elements...do we also want to specify the order (ie, @rel 
@type @href in that order)?

> serialization (HTML output mode for XSLT comes to mind). Why deviate 

well, if you have no control over how html is generated, then that's 
fine too. apps must be able to process non-normative form.

"Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive".

james

---

From: Julian Reschke <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2004 09:48:02 +0200

> "Be conservative in what you send and liberal in what you receive".

If applications need to be able to comsume the "non-normative" form 
anyway, then it seems like a waste of time to define something else. In 
the worst case, it will cause client developers not properly 
parsing/tokenizing their HTML.

Julian