Subject: link questions

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 02:12:25 +0200

The link element contains many pieces. Here are some questions I had:

- the meaning of the "alternate" type could perhaps be explained a 
little better. As I understand this is there to fulfill one of the role 
of what used to be the permalink. It is meant to point to the html 
representation of the entry/feed. Currently "alternate" is
explained as

	The value "alternate" signifies that the IRI in the value of the href
     attribute identifies an alternate version of the resource described 
by
     the containing element.

   That does really not say very much. I think when one thinks about it 
carefully then it
   makes sense, but perhaps an example would help clarify that.

- The point of the "title" in the link is not quite clear. Why would 
one put a title
   on a link? What will the client do with this information? When should 
one put it?...

- I must have missed the arguments about "self". But the documentation 
does not really
  help me understand what I would want to use that link for. (Perhaps 
this is to point to
  a translated version of the resource for example?)

The above are all just small clarification issues.

	Henry Story

---

From: "John Panzer" <"JPanzer"@aol.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:34:50 -0800

>   a translated version of the resource for example?)

Is this the use case?  I've clicked on an Atom feed link and the data 
(but not the originating URI) have been passed to a handler of MIME type 
application/atom+xml.  I like what I see and want to subscribe to the 
feed... but there's no way to figure out what URI to subscribe to 
without the "self" link inside the data.

-- 
John Panzer
Sr. Technical Manager, AOL
http://journals.aol.com/panzerjohn/abstractioneer

---

From: Henry Story <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:19:04 +0200

Thanks, that helps a lot. Perhaps what is missing are use cases.

Henry