Subject: Atom RDF/OWL models

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:39:53 +0200

Hi folks,

I'm trying to collect a list of mappings Atom <-> RDF/OWL. Anyone that
has such a thing, can you please drop me a pointer to the latest
version(s) of any schemas, XSLT or whatever you might happen to have
lying around. Notes on how current they are, or anything else of
relevance appreciated.

So far I've got the following:

Henry Story's material, mostly (I think) looking for a direct mapping
with a Atom-specific vocabulary (there's also his BlogEd material, on
using Atom/OWL as the internal representation in a blogging tools).
I'm not sure, but this might be OWL DL.
Most recent date mentioned is 2004-11-09, not sure which is the latest
Atom draft covered.
http://bblfish.net/work/atom-owl/

David Powell's full and fairly verbose RDF schema, again I think it's
an Atom-specific vocab :
http://djpowell.net/atomrdf/0.1/
Dates from 2005-03-22, covers draft-05.
it can be viewed through a nifty little styled-TriX converter:
http://djpowell.net/rdftrix/

Dave Beckett's got support for Atom 0.3 in Redland (RDF toolkit),
specifically in the Raptor Parser kit - he's currently looking to
update this to 1.0:
http://librdf.org/raptor/ 

Mark Nottingham's talked about Atom/OWL in the context of his
sparta.py simple API for RDF, not sure if he's done a schema:
http://www.mnot.net/blog/2005/03/17/sparta

Mark Woodman has done some work with Atom + Jena, producing JavaBeans.
http://inkblots.markwoodman.com/index.php?p=13

My own notes+ XSLT+schema, old old old, pre-0.3 I think. I'll update
all this asap with whatever I can gather.
http://semtext.org/atom/

There are also some very early ones around Sam's blog somewhere - I
seem to remember one that attempted to map all the Atom constructs to
existing vocabs, DC etc. (I've a feeling that put a lot of folks off
RDF/XML ;-) I think  Aaron S. and Norm W. have both a mapping or two.
Bet sbp's got one too.
http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/

Cheers,
Danny.

-- 

http://dannyayers.com

---

From: Ian Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 13:44:38 +0100

> lying around. Notes on how current they are, or anything else of
Don't forget danbri's Atom/RDF subset[1]. It's not a translation but 
it's worth attempting to interpret it using one of them.

Ian
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-archive/2005Jul/0014.html
-- 
http://internetalchemy.org | http://purl.org/NET/iand
Working on... Silkworm <http://silkworm.talis.com/>

---

From: Danny Ayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:07:52 +0200

> it's worth attempting to interpret it using one of them.

Thanks Ian, I assumed everyone already knew about that ;-)

Anyhow I've dumped the list onto the ESW Wiki:

http://esw.w3.org/topic/AtomRdf

Additions and gardening appreciated.

Cheers,
Danny.

-- 

http://dannyayers.com

---

From: David Powell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:24:10 +0100

> http://djpowell.net/rdftrix/

I've just updated my transform to draft-10. The transform attempts to
implement everything in the Atom draft, including things like author
defaulting, xml:base, extension elements, etc...

One of the disadvantages of RSS1.0, I think, is that it doesn't really
discuss mutable entries. If you smush together two instances of an
RSS1.0 feed, the result isn't very useful (you get entries with
multiple rss:description's, and no clue to which one is current). So,
in this schema I've divorced entries from entry instances, and feeds
from feed documents, so that you can archive multiple instances in the
same graph and do some temporal stuff with them. (Eg, you might want
to add an http:pollDate property to the entry and feed instances).

I think that the implementation is complete, but I intend to have a go
at mapping RSS2.0 (and probably the others) onto the same RDF Schema.
If they don't fit well, the schema might need some more updates.

-- 
Dave