Subject: Re: How to implement the "Give me all the new & updated entries" use case

From: "Bob Wyman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:15:52 -0400

On 7/13/07, Brian Smith <[email-masked]> wrote: > I didn't find
anything that allows the client to tell the server what
> entries it (the client) already has, so that the server can send
> just the new and/or updated entries.

If you're just talking to an HTTP server (not something that implements
APP), then consider using "RFC3229+feeds" which has been implemented by
large number of servers and clients. See:

http://www.wyman.us/main/2004/09/using_rfc3229_w.html

bob wyman

---

From: "Brian Smith" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 04:27:25 +0700

Bob Wyman  wrote: 
> On 7/13/07, Brian Smith <[email-masked]> wrote: 
> > I didn't find anything that allows the client to tell the server
what 

>	http://www.wyman.us/main/2004/09/using_rfc3229_w.html

I am aware of that. There is also an "Vary: If-None-Match" proposal, and
a proposed link relation (paraphrased):

     <link rel='new-or-updated-entries' href='...'/>

I think that the link-based one is the easiest to understand, because
It is easy to understand and seems to fit in well with the feed paging
stuff. For example, what should happen when the client is, say, 100
entries behind the server? With the link-based solution, we can split
the response up into pages as we see fit. Using RFC3229+feeds, if the
client is 100 entries behind the server, would the server be
required to send all 100 entries in the response?

Regards,
Brian