Subject: Long list of <link /> relations

From: Daniel Aleksandersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 01:37:59 +0100

Hi emailing list, (message contains Unicode characters)

I am constructing a feed or recent published articles and a feed archive. 
Each atom:entry contains a lot of atom:links. I am going to set a title 
to them as well (the comments below) later too.

What link relations ( http://www.iana.org/assignments/link-relations.html) 
are most appropriate for the various scenarios below? 

<entry xml:id="article" xml:base="http://example.tld/">
  <!--The entry it self, usefuly in larger archive feeds.-->
  <link href="#article" type="application/atom+xml" rel="self" />
  <!--The original publication site of the article.-->
  <link href="http://publisher.tld/article.xht" 
type="application/xhtml+xml" rel="alternate via" />
  <!--Self hosted XHTML version.-->
  <link href="/articles/article.xht"  type="application/xhtml+xml" 
rel="alternate" />
  <!--Self hosted PDF version.-->
  <link href="/articles/article.pdf" type="application/pdf" 
rel="alternate" />
  <!--Internet Archive version of original publisher’s version.-->
  <link href="http://archive.org/*http://publisher.tld/article.xht" 
type="text/html" rel="alternate" />
</entry>
-- 
Daniel Aleksandersen <[email-masked]>

---

From: James M Snell <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:07:20 -0800

Daniel Aleksandersen wrote:
> [snip]

atom:link rel attributes are limited to a single value.  You cannot 
specify multiple values per link.

- James

---

From: Daniel Aleksandersen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 02:48:03 +0100

> specify multiple values per link.

I thought the atom:link were based on the html4:link element? The HTML 4 
specification says that the rel attribute is a space‐separated list of 
relationship values. Why should the Atom element be different from the 
HTML element on this attribute?
-- 
Daniel Aleksandersen <[email-masked]>