Subject: Rd, Stanley, Smithton, Wilmot, Ringarooma, De

From: Diffley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 12:44:42 +0200

S. The dairy herds of the State until a few years ago were of a somewhat
nondescript type, very few farmers having realised the necessity of
improving the butter-yielding capacity of their stock. Recently,
however, great improvements have taken place, as the dairying industry
has advanced, until now many Tasmanian dairymen own herds of the highest
standard. The work of improving the milking strains of cattle is in the
hands of the farmers themselves, but advice and assistance are always
obtainable from the Government Dairy Expert. Cheese-making. This is a
highly profitable branch of dairy farming, and the product is so small
in bulk compared with its value that it is eminently portable.
Cheese-making can therefore be carried on under conditions where other
forms of production would be difficult. Some skill and knowledge are
required, but the Dairy Expert regularly gives lectures and
demonstrations on the subject in all the principal agricultural centres,
so that any intelligent person can easily obtain all the information he
requires. The principal cheese factories in the State are situated at
St. Mary's, Pyengana, Emu Bay, Devonport, and Circular Head. The cheese
produced is very good in quality, and a considerable export trade will
soon be developed in it. Bacon-curing. The production of hams and bacon
is one of the collateral industries connected with dairying, as the
skim-milk and waste products form a very valuable food for fattening
pigs. Excellent bacon is produced in Tasmania, and a good deal is
exported, but not nearly what might be produced. [Illustration: Group of
Prize Bulls.] Dairy Factories. It is the introduction of the dairy
factory system that has solved the problem of success or fai