Subject: Re: Link Extensions Draft Update

From: eric scheid <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 20:52:08 +1000

On 1/7/10 4:32 AM, "James Snell" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-snell-atompub-link-extensions-07.txt
> 
> A few minor updates, and one significant update... the new requirement is that
> changes to the hash, etag, modified and accessed attributes MUST be considered
> to be "significant" with regards to the value of atom:updated. This is a
> requirement on the feed publisher. 

-1, sorry, can't agree with this

   The "atom:updated" element is a Date construct indicating the most
   recent instant in time when an entry or feed was modified in a way
   the publisher considers significant.  Therefore, not all
   modifications necessarily result in a changed atom:updated value.

   atomUpdated = element atom:updated { atomDateConstruct }

   Publishers MAY change the value of this element over time.

A minor and trivial change to a linked resource, eg. whitespace, could well
cause a change in (eg.) the hash, but that (usually) is not significant.

Similarly a change in the 'accessed' attribute especially when the 'hash'
and 'etag' *didn't* change is pretty much the definition of not-significant.

s/MUST/MAY/

e.