Subject: 2/2/2000 Estimation of Web Video Multiplicity -- Sen-ching Samson Cheung, EECS Department, U.C. Berkeley

From: Florissa Colina <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 10:00:00 -0800

Berkeley Multimedia, Graphics and Interfaces Seminar

Estimation of Web Video Multiplicity

Wednesday February 2, 2000  
1:10 - 2:30 PST 
Fujitsu Seminar Room (405 Soda Hall)

Sen-ching Samson Cheung
EECS Department, U.C. Berkeley 

With ever more popularity of video web-publishing, many popular contents
are being mirrored, modified
and republished, resulting in excessive content duplication. While such
redundancy provides fault
tolerance for continuous availability of information, it could potentially
make multimedia web search
results repetitious and cluttered. As such, developing techniques for
detecting similarity and duplication
is important to multimedia search engines. Content providers might also be
interested in identifying
duplicates of their content for business related reasons. In this talk, we
will present an efficient algorithm,
called video signature, to detect similar video sequences for large
databases. The idea is to first form a
"signature" for each video sequence by selecting a small number of its
frames that are most similar to a
number of randomly chosen seed images. Then the similarity between any two
video sequences can be
reliably estimated by comparing their respective signatures. Using this
method, we achieve 85% recall
and precision ratios on a test database of 377 video sequences. We have
applied our proposed
algorithm to a collection of 1800 hours of video corresponding to around
45000 clips from the web. Our
results indicate that, on average, every video in our collection has around
five similar copies.

---------------

The seminar is broadcast live on the Internet Mbone and as a Real Networks
G2 broadcast.

You can connect to the live RealNetworks broadcast at:

http://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/bibs/schedule.cfm 
You'll see a link to cs298-5/real networks/live programs.  

You can also directly put in this url into the Real Player: 
rtsp://media2.bmrc.berkeley.edu/encoder/cs298-5.rm

To do so you will need to have the "Real Player G2" installed, which is
available from:
http://www.real.com/products/player/downloadrealplayer.html

To tune into the Internet MBone broadcast, look for the announcement in
your MBone session directory program ('sdr').  If you are not receiving the
announcement you may be able to receive the session by manually configuring
the client programs ('vic', and 'vat') with the session addresses:

low bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.1/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

medium bit rate
	video: 233.0.25.129/22334
	audio: 233.0.25.2/22446

You can get further information about this seminar, and access to replays
of previous seminars at the MIG Seminar web page:

http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/298/index.html

Sponsored by the Berkeley Multimedia Research Center