Subject: RTP Jitter question...

From: Qishen Tang <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:44:01 -0600

Hi,

# Is there an industry guideline/threshold as to what RTP Jitter value
should be???

Thanks,

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:57:29 +0100 (MET)

> # Is there an industry guideline/threshold as to what RTP Jitter value

There are rules of thumb about what sort of delays you can get away
with in a _telephone call_. Other uses of RTP will have different
rules of thumb.

A rough rule is that people don't notice a delay of up to 150ms and
find a delay of above about 300ms annoying. The amount of jitter
affects the delay the receiver has to add to compensate for jitter, so
a stream that requires a 800ms playout delay to compensate for jitter
is going to sound bad. A stream that jitters by 50ms will probably
sound OK in the absence of other things causing large delay or the
appearance of delay, such as router delays, propagation delays and
frequency offsets in sampling clocks.

Matt