Subject: Re: Adaptive playout

From: "Hari Krishna Vuppaladhadiam" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 11:29:07 -0800

Hi,
  I have a related question?

 How to decide the depth of the jitter-buffer? Can anyone send me references
on this implementation?

Regards
Hari

-----Original Message-----
From: SVR Anand <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, January 27, 2000 8:47 AM
Subject: Adaptive playout

>Hi,
>
>Not sure if this is directly related to RTP. Hope you would not mind.
>
>In the presence of adaptive playout delay, are there any guidelines as to
how
>often and to what extent we can introduce the playout delay in order that
>the original speech can faithfully be reproduced by preserving inter-word
>gaps apart from overcoming audio glitches ?
> There are problems in detecting the beginning of a new talk spurt. If
>say, a 100millsec gap between two consecutive audio samples is what I
consider
>as a new talk spurt, and introduce new playout delay, then there is a
>possibilty that the new talk spurt either starts at 20millisec, or
500millisec
>after the end of the old talk spurt. This can result in a shrink or
expansion
>of the original speech.
>
> Hope I am making some sense.
>
>Regards
>Anand
>

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:01:57 -0500

Many papers on this subject have been written. Usually adaptive
algorithms are used that adjust the depth dynamically. See:

Ramachandran Ramjee, Jim Kurose, Don Towsley and Henning Schulzrinne,
"Adaptive playout mechanisms for packetized audio applications in
wide-area networks," in Proceedings of the Conference on Computer
Communications (IEEE Infocom), (Toronto, Canada), pp. 680-688,
Jun. 1994.

Sue B. Moon, Jim Kurose and Don Towsley, "Packet audio playout delay
adjustment: performance bounds and algorithms," ACM/Springer
Multimedia Systems, vol. 5, no. 1, pp. 17--28, Jan. 1998.

J. Rosenberg, L. Qiu, H. Schulzrinne, "Integrating Packet FEC into
Adaptive Voice Playout Buffer Algorithms on the Internet", to appear in
     Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 2000, March 2000, Tel Aviv, Israel.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       200 Executive Drive
Chief Scientist                             Suite 120 
dynamicsoft                                 West Orange, NJ 07052
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (732) 741-4778
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com