Subject: Enterprise Forum multicast

From: "Harri K. Salminen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 15:33:28 +0200

FUNET-TV will multicast the following lecture series live on the MBONE
channel "FUNET-TV: Enterprise Forum". Transmission will use at least
relatively high speed H.261 -video (around 1Mbit/s) and is aimed
primarily for universities connected via FUNET, NORDUnet, TEN-155,
Abilene or vBNS. First lecture starts on 20.1.2000 16:15 (CET), see
the attached description and the web pages for exact schedule.

We plan to use TTL 127 for a global multicast if that doesn't raise
serious technical problems somewhere. Is there anymore any consensus
on the global TTL levels or any plans for scopes covering just the
high speed academic networks? The only documents I found are bit
outdated and from days before native multicast etc. 

Otherwise we might have to use some lower TTL combined possibly with
several unicasts... We have for example several FVC I-Studio's
currently available so that we can arrange an RTP/MPEG-1 multicast
fairly easily. We just also got some new software which may enable us
to multicast UDP/MPEG-2 transport possibly using the SGI Mediabase in
the middle which may interest you. It would be nice to know what would
be the best TTL (we don't yet have scopes beoynd NORDUnet I think) for
such streams (e.g. 4 Mbit/s).

For uplink we have to use ATM/MJPEG codec at 20Mbit/s connected to
cameras via a composite video mixer and use also SDI/analog
conversions at our end so it might not look quite as good as it
could be but it should usually be 25fps at least with "VHS quality"

Lower speed streams are also possible although we haven't planned for
them unless there's a real demand. We may have a low speed announcement
video on the channel with a short high speed burst on the channel in the
mean time for testing but it's not ready yet.

http://tv.funet.fi/ohjelmat/tkk/ef-multicast.html or contact
[email-masked] for more technical information and possibly
available options like MPEG feeds. 

Harri Salminen

Harri K. Salminen - Finnish University & Research Network 
[email-masked],  Tel +358 9 4572005, fax +358 9 457 2302
http://www.funet.fi/~hks, http://www.funet.fi, OH2LGE
CSC/FUNET, PL 405,  02101 Espoo, Finland - European Union

Enterprise Forum

The Enterprise Forum philosophy Enterprise Forum is expected to give a
glance into the world the top executives live in.  In Enterprise
Forum, the people who make the decisions are brought together to
discuss the issues they are facing, the topics that are in central
role in the formation of our future.  The aim of Enterprise Forum is
to help the students and other spectators understand the world of
business and politics, what is going on, who makes things happen, and
how decisions are made. In the Enterprise Forum seminars we can meet
these persons live and hear how they see the world.

What is Enterprise Forum?

Appearing first in the world and arranged every year since 1973,
Enterprise Forum sessions have gained a lot of interest and publicity
by providing the leaders of the business and political worlds with the
opportunity to discuss the topics of today.  During the latest years
Enterprise Forum has covered topics such as the European Union, the
transition process in Russia, the Internet and changes that different
industries are undergoing. The insights into these questions are
provided by the people who are in charge of the answering
themselves. This year's seminar brings again the leading business
executives and the top new entrepreneurs around the same table with
the highest level political decision-makers.  The seminar sessions are
transmitted via Internet to a number of European universities and
university towns. Many of those following the program through the
Internet can state questions on-line during the sessions.  This whole
concept, Enterprise Forum of Helsinki University of Technology, is
unique in the world and has gained wide recognition. We want to
provide You part of it this year.

Guest speakers of Enterprise Forum

Every year the Enterprise Forum has been honored by very distinguished
speakers.  Persons like Bo Berggren, chairman of the board of Astra
and Stora, Percy Barnevik, former CEO of ABB, Hermann Franz, former
chairman of the supervisory board of Siemens AG, Jürgen Schrempp,
chairman of the supervisory board of Deutsche Aerospace AG and
chairman of the board of Daimler Benz, Umberto Columbo, former
chairman of the supervisory board of Eni in Italy, Peter Wallenberg,
former chairman of the board of Investor AB, Philip Kotler, Dr and Mrs
Mauno Koivisto, former president of the Republic of Finland, and
chairmen of the boards and CEOs of most of the biggest Scandinavian
companies have been guest speakers at the Enterprise Forum.
Enterprise Forum 2000

This year the Enterprise Forum is honored by very distinguished
speakers including Marcus Wallenberg Jr, Vice President of Investor
AB, Geoffrey Moore, Chairman and founder of the Chasm Group, Jorma
Ollila, Chairman of the Board of the Nokia Corporation, presidential
candidate Elisabeth Rehn, Martin Saarikangas, CEO of Masa Yards and
Matti Honkala, CEO and Chairman of the board of Kesko. The Enterprise
Forum sessions are broadcast live over the Internet on Thursday
evenings between 17:15 and 19:00 (Finnish time = CET +1). The first
seminar session is on Thursday 2000-01-20. More information about the
schedule and topics can be found on the Enterprise Forum homepages.
Contact information

In terms of any questions, please contact us in order to discuss how
we can fit the outcomes of Enterprise Forum to meet Your specific
needs.

Emeritus Professor Martti M Kaila, Professor Ilkka Kauranen, Mr Markku Multamäki
and Ms Pia Back

telephone	int  358	9	4 514 822
facsimile	int  358	9	4 513 095
e-mail 	[email-masked]
URL	http://www.tuta.hut.fi/coursedata/tu91142/