Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g7221-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:43:15 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: RTP Payload Format for ITU-T Recommendation G.722.1
	Author(s)	: P. Luthi
	Filename	: draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g7221-00.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 15-Jun-00
	
ITU-T Recommendation G.722.1 [2] is a wide-band audio codec, which
operates at one of two selectable bit rates, 24kbit/s or 32kbit/s.
This document describes the payload format for including G.722.1
generated bit streams within an RTP packet [3].  Also included here
are the necessary details for the use of G.722.1 with MIME [4] and
SDP [5].

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g7221-00.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g7221-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-avt-rtp-g7221-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 23:34:01 -0400

This is to announce a two-week working group last call on the RTP Payload
Format for ITU-T Recommendation G.722.1 audio. If no significant comments
are received by 7th July we shall submit this draft for publication as a
proposed standard RFC. Comments should be sent to the mailing list, or
directly to the authors of the draft.

Thanks,
Colin

---

From: "Emre Gunduzhan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:18:42 -0400

I was not monitoring the list for a while, so my apologies if this issue
has been raised before.

I am a bit concerned about the "non-standard" rates mentioned in the
draft. G.722.1 gives a bit-exact definition for only two rates, so the
non-standard rates are not defined anywhere including this I-D. It is
only mentioned that "the algorithm has the capability to run at any
user specified bit rate", but which implementation of the algorithm and
with what changes? Without a precise definition of running at these
rates, I can not be sure that my G7221/16000 with bitrate=20000 will
be compatible with someone else's.
 
Regards,
Emre Gunduzhan