Subject: proposal for IMPP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 16:40:30 -0400

Folks,

Some colleagues and I have put together a suite of protocols for IMPP,
based partly on SIP. Its actually seven separate drafts, althouth the
core is just two. They have been submitted to the I-D editor, but you
can grab them right now from:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-presence-00.txt

   Core presence protocol. We've written it to be understandable by non
SIP experts,
   and to also indicate what parts of SIP you do and don't need for
presence.
   Don't be scared by the size (70 pages), nearly half are example
message flows.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-im-00.txt

   Core IM protocol. Also written to be both a tutorial on SIP and
explain how
   to do IM.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-qauth-00.txt

   A mini-protocol for authorizing subscriptions, to support, among
other things,
   the ability for subscriptions to happen when the presentity is
offline.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-pidf-00.txt

   An XML PIDF format, optional in our architecture.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-lpidf-00.txt

   A really thin pidf, good for wireless devices, since it uses the same
parser
   SIP uses. This is mandatory to support in our architecture.

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-watcherinfo-00.txt

   A format for watcher info. 

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen/papers/draft-rosenberg-impp-buddylist-00.txt

   Something we never discussed on the list before; a buddylist
document, much 
   akin to bookmarks, which you can store on a server. This way, when
you go
   to a different machine, you can fetch your buddylist, and get your
presence
   services there.

Comments and questions are welcome, of course.

-Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen         PHONE: (732) 741-7244
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

---

From: "Fox, Mike" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 15:18:57 -0700

Why stop at XML for IMPP? Why not XML for SIP? Simple Object Access Protocol
may be the right way. Call it SIP Control by Unified Methods.

SOAP SCUM 

Best regards,
Mike Fox

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 15:03:23 -0500

Mike

How long did it take you to think of this acronym? If less than an hour -- you
need a life, man!

;-)

cheers

>may be the right way. Call it SIP Control by Unified Methods.
*************************************
"At the end of the day... the most committed win!"

James M. Polk
Sr. Product Manager, Multiservice Architecture and Standards
Enterprise Voice Business Unit
Cisco Systems
Dallas, Texas
w) 972.813.5208
f)  972.813.5280
www.cisco.com