Subject: RE: Firewire/1394 for live streaming

From: Bill Nowicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:18:58 -0700

Our DV RTP was a technology demonstration at NAB 2000. No announced release.
 
You will have to ask a video expert about trans-coding in the Cosine domain
without decoding fully to pixels. My guess is that you could do it, but not
sure what it would buy? You still would get about 25 Mbits/second. Or I
suppose you could do the re-quantize trick, but that would probably
introduce ugly artifacts. You might be able to do something like temporal
thinning or vic-like avoiding sending macroblocks that have not changed from
the previous frame.

---

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 14:42:24 -0700

> without decoding fully to pixels.  

I'm not at all a video expert, but we did an app a few years ago that
used neural nets to transcode JPEG quantized DCT's to restore image
quality, and it worked relatively well -- training up nets to do DV
to MPEG-1 on the DCT's to minimize artifacts might actually be doable,
but I really doubt you want to go down this path ... 

See:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/jqt/index.html

for details of the JPEG work. 

								--jl

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------