Subject: Firewire/1394 for live streaming

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 11:09:47 -0400

Is it possible to use a Firewire/1394 card as a Video-for-Windows
device, so that a DV camcorder can directly stream into NetShow,
NetMeeting, vic, etc.? Any mechanism to directly convert this to
streaming MPEG2?

Thanks.
-- 
Henning Schulzrinne   http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~hgs

---

From: "Chris Fulmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:57:56 -0400

Pinnacle systems (pinnaclesys.com) has some solutions for that.  Don't
have a bunch of details.

somebody at wwug.com may be able to point you in the right direction.
--
C

---

From: Kevin Marks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 13:59:16 -0700

>NetMeeting, vic, etc.? Any mechanism to directly convert this to

With a G4 Mac you could use FireWire DV as an input to encode to 
H263, H261 or JPEG with Sorenson Broadcaster & QT 4.1.2. You can get 
30fps at 320x240 frame sizes. If you use uLaw or aLaw for the audio 
you will have an interoperable RTP multicast stream.

DV in to MPEG2 encoding in software is not available in QT; Cisco 
have some servers that will live-encode MPEG from video in.