Subject: RE: Firewire/1394 for live streaming

From: Bill Nowicki <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 09:04:47 -0700

> In fact, if you see that the windows media is heavilly based 
> on the directx technology, that's a strange sentence. 

You are talking about the *PLAYER*. Yes, the Windows Media Player can play
DV files (wrapped in AVI) just fine (if you have the 6.4.x version that
includes the DV decoder). As far as I can tell the 7.x version of the
Windows Media Player has new "skins" and some "jukebox" features but is the
same architecture (DirectShow, previously known as ActiveMovie) underneath.

I was talking about the *ENCODER*, which is the application that captures
the video and compresses it to MPEG-4 or whatever to send over the network.
At least the currently released Windows Media Encoder cannot take DV as
input, only YUV and RGB type of formats.

It does not help that Microsoft keeps changing the names of their
technologies and confuses the two sides sometimes themsleves. :-)

Glad to see there is some interest in this!

Bill Nowicki, Omneon Video

---

From: Ricardo Balbinot <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 13:27:07 -0300 (EST)

Ok.

I did not noticed that.

Regards,

Ricardo Balbinot.