Subject: [AVT] Let's shut down the "rem-conf" mailing list

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 14:02:41 -0700

At Wednesday morning's AVT session, Steve Casner noted that transition to 
the new mailing list ([email-masked]) has gone very well.  Because of this, 
is there any real reason not to just shut down the old mailing list 
([email-masked]) now?

I'm still subscribed to the "rem-conf" list because I'm kinda scared that I 
might miss something, but since the new list has come online, all I've ever 
received on the old mailing list has been spam.  Now, I think I could 
*probably* unsubscribe from the "rem-conf" list if I wanted to, but lots of 
other people have apparently been unable to do this.  So, I say - let's 
just put the "rem-conf" list out of its misery.

         Ross.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2001 22:19:39 +0100

>just put the "rem-conf" list out of its misery.

I'm not sure we can close down "rem-conf", the administrator has been less 
than responsive in the past...

Colin

---

From: Falko Dressler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:30:07 +0200 (MET DST)

> than responsive in the past...

Well, we also have to care about that the rem-conf mailing list is a
distributed one. As example: the german part runs over one of the systems
of the University of Erlangen. I can close this part just within seconds
but as long as there are (more or less interessting) mails flowing over
the old list, it wouldn'd be a good idea.

-Falko

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 14:36:31 -0700 (PDT)

> is there any real reason not to just shut down the old mailing list

Well, whose mailing list is it?  At one point, the answer would have
been Ari Ollikainen's, but I don't know the answer at this point.
It's not clear that AVT WG or the chairs thereof are entitled to shut
down rem-conf.

I suppose one approach would be to send a message (or a few messages
over a period of time) to the rem-conf list asking if anyone would
object to it being shut down.  But there is no point in doing this
unless communication has been established with an administrator of the
list.  I did note a couple of "you've been removed" messages cc'd to
the rem-conf list earlier today from a person who appears to be an
administrator at es.net.
							-- Steve