Subject: [AVT] application/ogg

From: Linus Walleij <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:09:00 +0200 (MEST)

I have revised a draft in accordance with Colin's guidelines according the
IETF MIME type application/ogg. The draft resides at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-walleij-ogg-mediatype-04.txt

Colin wanted me to explain to the AVT working group why this type appears
alongside the RTP transport type for vorbis audio, which will be
registered as audio/vorbis if everything goes well.

Basically, application/ogg aka the Ogg Bitstream format, is an asyncronous
lossless transport type, which intended usage is file storage, mail
attachments, web page access, database content markup and the like aimed
at any multimedia content, whereas audio/vorbis is intended for audio
streams only, and under RTP audio/vorbis will act as a synchronous
loss-tolerant transport type for vorbis audio.

When we come to audio/vorbis, this will be one of the first media types
to be defined for both asynchronous / lossless and synchronous / lossy /
realtime transfer, once the hassles surrounding it has been resolved.

Additional information on application/ogg is available in the Internet
Draft.

With this I hope to obtain Colins consent in publishing this draft as a
RFC on the standards track (proposed standard).

Yours,
Linus Walleij

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 18:29:41 -0700 (PDT)

> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-walleij-ogg-mediatype-04.txt

Hmmm, the dates on the document didn't change from -03 to -04.

> realtime transfer, once the hassles surrounding it has been resolved.

That's all fine.

> RFC on the standards track (proposed standard).

It seems to me that no consent should be required from Colin or anyone
else in AVT because application/ogg is independent of RTP as you have
explained above.  Your draft would just be processed as an individual
submission and vetted through the normal MIME registration process.

							-- Steve

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:28:37 +0100

>submission and vetted through the normal MIME registration process.

Looks good. The relation to the audio/vorbis type and use of RTP has been
clarified, which was my main concern.

Colin