Subject: [AVT] new I-D: MIDI wire protocol RTP packetization

From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:40:01 -0700

Hi everyone,

	See:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-lazzaro-avt-mwpp-midi-mpeg4-00.txt

	for a new Internet-Draft we just submitted:

------

 Title           : MWPP: A resilient MIDI RTP packetization for MPEG 4 
                   Structured Audio
 Author(s)       : J. Lazzaro, J. Wawrzynek
 Filename        : draft-lazzaro-avt-mwpp-midi-mpeg4-00.txt
 Pages           : 25
 Date            : 22-Aug-01

This memo describes the MIDI Wire Protocol Packetization (MWPP).
MWPP is a resilient RTP packetization for the MIDI wire protocol,
for use with MPEG 4 Structured Audio. MWPP is specialized for low-
latency applications such as network musical performance.  MWPP
supports the subset of the MIDI wire protocol that may be coded in
Structured Audio real-time streaming units (midi_event chunks of
SA_access_units).

------

You may also want to read:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/pubs/pdf/nossdav01.pdf

This paper describes an experimental system that uses the RTP
packetization described in the I-D, and includes data from test
sessions between Berkeley, Stanford, and Caltech hosts.

This network musical performance system described in the paper has
also been integrated into our Structured Audio compiler sfront:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/

We're hosting a SIP server at Berkeley along with a "dummy player"
client so that the curious can check the system out. The networking
code should work on most UNIX-like systems, but the really interesting
demos require sfront low-latency audio support, which means Linux
(tested) or FreeBSD and IRIX (untested) at the moment. To get a quick
sense of how musicians use sfront networking in a session, see:

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/sfman/user/network/index.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt