Subject: [AVT] 2833bis: CI and kin

From: Henning Schulzrinne <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:20:25 -0500

The V.8 Call Indicator (CI) is a sequence of V.21 bits followed by some 
kind of configuration octet (plus stop/start bits). Since 2833bis can't 
carry values with events, one would have to send the CI event followed 
by ten 2833 packets with one V.21 bit each.

2833bis is not really meant to replace a modem-over-IP protocol. Any of 
the real modem or fax data, probably including the negotiation, would 
need to be sent using some other mechanism. Thus, the question is what 
the CI (and kin) would be used for. For fax, the 'fax flag' can be seen 
as introducing T.38.

Since we can add events later, via a registration process, I'm trying to 
strip down 2833 to the most useful and used events. Otherwise, we'll 
never get it to Draft. (Depending on the flak along the way, we may not 
even get it to the RFC editor...)

Henning

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt