Subject: [AVT] new draft on RTCP extention

From: "Haldar, Debashis [PCS]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:22:28 -0600

Hi all,
I have posted a draft "Session control through RTCP. An extension to RTCP"
(draft-ietf-haldar-rtp-sessionl-control-00) in the "individual submission"
group last month. Later on I subscribed to this group and find my draft
appropriate to be posted through this group. Can this be considered as a
potential working group draft? If so, what is the procedure?
My ietf draft:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haldar-rtp-session-control-00.txt
thanks,
-Debashis Haldar
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Stephen Casner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 19:43:49 -0800 (PST)

> potential working group draft? If so, what is the procedure?

It is certainly appropriate to discuss your draft in the AVT working
group, but the question of adopting it as a working group task depends
upon WG agreement that the design makes sense and that this is an
appropriate task.

Two messages attached below were posted to the AVT list after your
draft was announced.  Did you see them?  They are pointing out some
problems with your design.

                                                        -- Steve

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 17:38:34 -0800
From: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Re: draft-haldar-rtp-session-control-00.txt

A quick read over:

seems to indicate no provision for handling lost packets, but the
example applications (push-to-talk, mute, ...) would seem to be
brittle in the face of lost packets ...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Lazzaro -- Research Specialist -- CS Division -- EECS -- UC Berkeley
lazzaro [at] cs [dot] berkeley [dot] edu     www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:43:36 -0500
From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
To: John Lazzaro <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [AVT] Re: draft-haldar-rtp-session-control-00.txt

--> John Lazzaro writes:
>A quick read over:
>seems to indicate no provision for handling lost packets, but the
>example applications (push-to-talk, mute, ...) would seem to be
>brittle in the face of lost packets ...

It might also be appropriate to consider congestion control, and
interaction with the RTCP timers.

Colin