Subject: [AVT] Retransmission wording nit in 2833bis-01

From: Flemming Andreasen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 11:12:26 -0500

2833bis-01, Section 3.6 says:

   If an event continues for more than one period, the source generating

   the events should send a new event packet with the RTP timestamp
   value corresponding to the beginning of the event and the duration of

   the event increased correspondingly. If there has been no new event
   in the last interval, the event SHOULD be retransmitted three times
   or until the next event is recognized.

The last sentence has caused a bit of confusion as a literal reading of
it suggests that every single packet for an event has to be sent three
times, however my understanding is that it only applies to the last
packet for an event. Assuming this is correct, I'd suggest we change the
last sentence to something like (also addressing an earlier question
about the transmission rate for the retransmissions):

    When an event has ended, and if there has been no new event in the
last interval, the old event SHOULD be retransmitted three times (at the
normal telephone-event transmission rate) or until the next event is
recognized.

Thanks

        Flemming

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt