Subject: [AVT] comments on draft-ietf-avt-rtcp-xr-mib-00.txt

From: "Jean-Francois Mule" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:23:59 -0700

Hi,

   Here is a follow-up to the comments I made at the mike during the avt
meeting.

--- Add object to indicate what computational model is used to calculate
the call quality metrics
This comment pertains to the call quality metrics (R factors and
potentially mean opinion scores). I believe it would be valuable to
indicate in the MIB module what particular model or algorithm was used
so that the mgmt application can understand the reference points for the
values being polled.

As Alan stated, the models are constantly evolving and it is likely that
vendors will be creative in fine tuning how those metrics are calculated
in impaired networks. While g.107 is currently named as one option, it
won't be the only one.
Hope this clarifies the request, otherwise let me know.

--- re: discussion at the mike about VoIP metric block extension
We had a subsequent discussion at the mike with Michael R. on extending
the VoIP Metrics Report Block to indicate the algorithm to the remote
peer inside RTCP XR. I just wanted to clarify my statement. I believe
this is a separate question and that the MIB objects can be added today
without waiting for the rfc update or the extension. 

Jean-Francois 
PS: re: Dan's comment 21, here is the section you may want to add based
on what we use in ipcdn.
x. IANA Considerations

   The MIB module defined in this document uses the following IANA-
   assigned OBJECT IDENTIFIER value recorded in the SMI Numbers
   registry:

   Descriptor    OBJECT IDENTIFIER value
   ----------    -----------------------
   rtcpXrMIB     { mib-2 XX }

       -- ***********************************************************
       -- * Note to RFC Editor (to be removed)
       -- *  The IANA is requested to assign a value for XX under the
       -- *  mib-2 subtree and to record the assignment in the SMI
       -- *  Numbers registry. When the assignment has been made, the
       -- *  RFC Editor is asked to replace xx (here and in the MIB
       -- *  module) with the assigned value and to remove this note.
       -- ***********************************************************

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt