Subject: [AVT] Protocol Action: 'RTP Payload for Text Conversation' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:04:04 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'RTP Payload for Text Conversation '
   <draft-ietf-avt-rfc2793bis-09.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Audio/Video Transport Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Jon Peterson.

Technical Summary
 
   This specification describes how to carry real time text conversation 
   session contents in RTP packets. Text conversation session contents 
   are specified in ITU-T Recommendation T.140. 
    
   One payload format is described for transmitting text on a separate 
   RTP session dedicated for the transmission of text.  

   This RTP payload description also recommends a method to include 
   redundant text from already transmitted packets in order to reduce 
   the risk of text loss caused by packet loss.   It uses the payload format
   format specified in RFC 2198, and updated in draft-ietf-avt-text-red, in
   current IETF review.   

   The document obsoletes RFC 2793.  The text clarifies 
   ambiguities in RFC 2793, improves on the specific implementation 
   requirements learned through development experience, and gives 
   explicit usage examples.     
 
Working Group Summary
 
 The material in  this document was strongly supported by the AVT
 working group.  There has been considerable IETF review of the
 text/red media type; in this document, the RTP domain usage is clearly
 indicated, as was carefully discussed as the context for that text mediatype.
   
Protocol Quality
 
The document was reviewed for the IESG by Allison Mankin and the AVT
 Working Group chairs.

RFC Editor Notes

Abstract

OLD:
This memo describes how to carry real time text conversation 
   session contents in RTP packets. Text conversation session contents 
   are specified in ITU-T Recommendation T.140.
NEW:
 This memo obsoletes RFC 2793; it describes how to carry real time text
 conversation session contents in RTP packets.  Text conversation session
 contents are specified in ITU-T Recommendation T.140.

IANA Considerations

OLD:
   This document defines one RTP payload format named "t140" and an 
   associated MIME type "text/t140", to be registered by IANA.
NEW:
  This document updates the RTP payload format named "t140" and the
   associated MIME type "text/t140", in the IANA RTP and Media Type registries.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt