Subject: [AVT] Structure of compound BYE packet

From: Vavilapalli Srikanth-A19563 <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:04:03 +0530

Hi

Can anyone tell me that if it is mandated to include a SR packet rather a RR
packet as the first packet of RTCP BYE compound packet when a 'RTP sender
(Who has sent some RTP data since the last RTCP packet and this BYE packet)'
wants to leave the session? If so can you tell me what are the advantages
with that SR packets to the remaining receivers of that session? 

Regards

Srikanth

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:55:07 +0200

Hi,

The usage of SR or RR as first RTCP packet type is dependent on the 
normal rules, also in the case of RTCP BYE packets. So if you have sent 
RTP packets in the last two RTCP reporting intervalls it shall send SR 
packet.

The reason for this is so that any receiver also get the reporting on 
the sent packets. Benefits of doing this, even if leaving session, is so 
that the receivers can learn if the lost any trailing packets. As packet 
loss is undetected until a RTP packet with higher sequence number or a 
RTCP packet with an SR indicating that a higher sequence number has been 
sent. It also will tell the receivers what was the last packet sent. 
This provides explicitness when a stream ends. Which can be helpfull and 
avoiding going into concealment unnecessary.

Hope this answers your question

Magnus

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVA/A
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]