Subject: [AVT] Perceptual objective media quality reporting

From: "Ravi Raviraj" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:03:26 -0000

Hi all,

Over the last few years, a number of perceptual media quality objective
measures and assessment techniques have been standardized by ITU-T. For
example, MOS-LQO, MOS-CQO, etc. Each one of these parameters could have
number of variations like narrow-band/wide-band, electrical/acoustical,
full reference/no-reference, audio/video, etc. When applied within a
network end-point, each media direction (ingress/egress) could have one
or more of these values associated with it. We need a way to report
these values efficiently without any ambiguity. These MOS values could
be sent/distributed as perceptual objective quality SIP events. In this
way, all the advantages of SIP like mobility, etc. will be pulled in.

I would like to propose a work/discussion item on an event package for
this purpose. Even define/specify a quality reporting framework. Is
there any interest out there?

I presume that, an event package work will be within SIPPING WG, where
should we do the framework work? SIP/AVT?

Thanks.

Ravi.

This email and attachment are confidential. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the message from your computer. Psytechnics Ltd has taken steps to ensure that this email is virus free but the recipient should take necessary steps to make certain.

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Robert Sparks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 09:42:30 -0600

I've replied to this on the SIPPING list and suggest that subsequent  
conversation take place there.

On Feb 28, 2007, at 9:03 AM, Ravi Raviraj wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Over the last few years, a number of perceptual media quality  
> objective measures and assessment techniques have been standardized  
> by ITU-T. For example, MOS-LQO, MOS-CQO, etc. Each one of these  
> parameters could have number of variations like narrow-band/wide- 
> band, electrical/acoustical, full reference/no-reference, audio/ 
> video, etc. When applied within a network end-point, each media  
> direction (ingress/egress) could have one or more of these values  
> associated with it. We need a way to report these values  
> efficiently without any ambiguity. These MOS values could be sent/ 
> distributed as perceptual objective quality SIP events. In this  
> I would like to propose a work/discussion item on an event package  
> for this purpose. Even define/specify a quality reporting  
> framework. Is there any interest out there?
>
>
>
> I presume that, an event package work will be within SIPPING WG,  
> where should we do the framework work? SIP/AVT?
>
>
>
> Thanks.
>
>
>
> Ravi.
>
>
>
> This email and attachment are confidential. If you have received  
> this message in error, please notify the sender immediately and  
> delete the message from your computer. Psytechnics Ltd has taken  
> steps to ensure that this email is virus free but the recipient  
> should take necessary steps to make certain.
> Sipping mailing list  https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sipping
> This list is for NEW development of the application of SIP
> Use [email-masked] for questions on current sip
> Use [email-masked] for new developments of core SIP

---

From: "Alan Clark" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:52:13 -0500

Hi Ravi
 
The industry has been doing this for some time - there is an existing draft
in SIPPING - for the SIP RTCP Summary Report that does exactly what you are
asking for, also RTCP XR (RFC3611), RTCP HR (current AVT WG draft), and a
laundry list of other protocols for MGCP, Megaco.......  In some cases (e.g.
RTCP HR, SIP) you can indicate the algorithm used to estimate quality, and
hence if you wanted to use PESQ in an active test then you could report
using the SIP RTCP Summary Report and indicate that the MOS estimation
algorithm was P.862.n
 
Regards
 
Alan

  _____  

From: Ravi Raviraj [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:03 AM
To: [email-masked]; [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: [AVT] Perceptual objective media quality reporting

Hi all,

Over the last few years, a number of perceptual media quality objective
measures and assessment techniques have been standardized by ITU-T. For
example, MOS-LQO, MOS-CQO, etc. Each one of these parameters could have
number of variations like narrow-band/wide-band, electrical/acoustical, full
reference/no-reference, audio/video, etc. When applied within a network
end-point, each media direction (ingress/egress) could have one or more of
these values associated with it. We need a way to report these values
efficiently without any ambiguity. These MOS values could be
sent/distributed as perceptual objective quality SIP events. In this way,
all the advantages of SIP like mobility, etc. will be pulled in.

I would like to propose a work/discussion item on an event package for this
purpose. Even define/specify a quality reporting framework. Is there any
interest out there?

Thanks.

Ravi.

This email and attachment are confidential. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the
message from your computer. Psytechnics Ltd has taken steps to ensure that
this email is virus free but the recipient should take necessary steps to
make certain. 
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt