Subject: [AVT] Draft on SDP BW attribute for media bitrate in 'send' direction ( draft-hdesinen-mmusic-oa-send-bw-attr-00.txt )

From: "Desineni, Harikishan" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:41:36 -0800

AVT & MMUSIC,

Here is a draft which defines a new bandwidth attribute for SDP
Offer/Answer model.

=======
Abstract:
"This document defines a new SDP bandwidth attribute that can be used to
signal the maximum media bitrate in 'send' direction of a stream in SDP
offer/answer model."
=========

-01 version of the draft is not yet available on IETF server. Until then
it can be viewed at
http://people.qualcomm.com/hdesinen/draft-hdesinen-mmusic-oa-send-bw-att
r-01.txt

-00 is available on IETF server at
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-hdesinen-mmusic-oa-send-bw-att
r-00.txt

Please review the latest version (-01) of the draft and post your
comments.

Thanks,
Hari

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:01:59 +0000

> AVT & MMUSIC,

I've bcc'd the AVT list on this message. Future discussion on the  
MMUSIC list, please.

> Please review the latest version (-01) of the draft and post your

The terminology in Section 5 is misleading and incorrect, and should  
be changed. This is not an SDP attribute ("a=" line), but rather a  
Bandwidth Specifier (for the "b=" line). Please update the draft to  
use the correct terminology.

Also, RFC 4566, notes that "although no length limit is given, it is  
recommended that they be short" when discussing bandwidth specifier  
names. Following this, and existing practice, it might be better to  
name this "MSR" rather than "maxsendrate"?

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/