Subject: [AVT] 'States' in RFC4733

From: "Gert Olsson (LD/EAB)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 14:36:33 +0200

Hi,
I'm trying to understand RFC4733, the 'named events' part mostly chapter
2 and wonder about the definition of 'state'. For a state you send with
duration=0, but this is not the definition of 'state', is it?
For DTMF,  is it 'Type' in table 3 that defines that DTMF events are not
'states' or what ?

3.2.  DTMF Events

   Table 3 shows the DTMF-related event codes within the telephone-event
   payload format.  The DTMF digits 0-9 and * and # are commonly
   supported.  DTMF digits A through D are less frequently encountered,
   typically in special applications such as military networks.

                    +-------+--------+------+---------+
                    | Event | Code   | Type | Volume? |
                    +-------+--------+------+---------+
                    | 0--9  | 0--9   | tone | yes     |
                    | *     | 10     | tone | yes     |
                    | #     | 11     | tone | yes     |
                    | A--D  | 12--15 | tone | yes     |
                    +-------+--------+------+---------+

                        Table 3: DTMF Named Events

(In 1.4.  Events, States, Tone Patterns, and Voice-Encoded Tones
'states' are only mentioned in the heading nowhere in the text,
something missing ?? )

BR

/GO
__________________________________________________________________|
Gert Olsson   /  phone: +46 46  23 24 97   /  e-mail:
[email-masked]
Ericsson AB - Business Unit Mobile Platforms, SE-221 83  Lund, Sweden

_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 11:20:36 -0400

Hi. Responses below marked with [PTT].

> duration=0, but this is not the definition of 'state', is it?

[PTT] The definition of state is a condition that persists until it 
times out (soft state, non-zero duration) or is replaced by a new 
mutually exclusive state. Unfortunately it looks like I lost the text 
that provides this definition, other than where it is implied in section 
2.3.5 "Duration". For concrete examples of state events, see ABCD bit 
signalling (section 2.4) and the Trunk Unavailable event (section 2.6) 
in draft-ietf-avt-rfc2833biscas "Definition of Events For 
Channel-Oriented Telephony Signalling".

> For DTMF,  is it 'Type' in table 3 that defines that DTMF events are not

[PTT] Type is indeed the place where the distinction is made.
>    typically in special applications such as military networks.

[PTT] Yes. As I say, lost the text dealing with states somewhere between 
versions, and never noticed.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>