Subject: [AVT] Notes of RTCP HR discussion in Dublin

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 11:05:37 +0100

All

AVT chairs (Colin Perkins, Roni Even and Tom Taylor), Alan Clark and
Geoff Hunt met on Monday 28 July (during the Dublin IETF). The purpose
was to discuss incoming liaisons regarding RTCP HR progress, from MSF
(MultiService Forum, www.msforum.org) and NICC (UK Interoperability
Standards, www.nicc.org.uk). MSF and NICC have been tracking the
development of RTCP HR and had asked AVT for information on its
progress.

The following are the agreed conclusions and actions from our meeting:

1. Current HR and video drafts to be restructured as multiple drafts,
promoting each sub-block to a full block (number in RTCP XR block types
registry). Each draft to explain where the metrics in its block fit into
a framework or taxonomy of metrics (item 2). During production and
review of these drafts, try to get commonality and re-use across
different RTP application areas.

2. A framework for metrics to be produced, e.g. by extension of the new
draft-hunt-avt-monarch-00, providing the framework or taxonomy

3. Profiles of metrics for specific applications will be needed and may
be defined by a BCP or by other organisations (e.g. MSF)

4. The framework may be hierarchical, e.g. a top-level category might be
"VoIP metrics" which will definitely have a top-level XR block type. At
some point in the hierarchy there may be a transition from use of RTCP
XR block types to a sub-block scheme

5. Solution is to consider extensibility, e.g. to allow metrics for
multiple channels of audio,

6. Solution is to accommodate changing fashions in metrics. Should not
freeze specific metrics definitions as users of the top-level block type
namespace if there is foreseeable change, e.g. MOS for VoIP could give
rise to multiple sub-block definitions as measurement methods evolve, or
a MOS field could have an associated type field indicating a registered
method of measuring MOS.

7. Alan Clark and Geoff Hunt to restructure RTCP HR and video metrics
drafts into multiple individual drafts per RTXP XR block type and
distribute to all

8. All to review new drafts

9. Tom Taylor to draft responses to MSF and UK NICC liaisons based on
the approach above

Best regards
Geoff
_______________________________________________
Audio/Video Transport Working Group
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt