Subject: [AVT] I-D draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-00.txt submitted

From: Ye-Kui Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 02:50:57 -0400

Hi AVT folks,

I have just submitted the following draft: 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-yang-avt-rtp-synced-playback-00.tx
t
 
Title: Synchronized Playback in Rapid Acquisition of Multicast Sessions

Abstract: 
When watching the same IPTV channel, different TV sets may not
render the same picture and the associated audio at the same moment.
This variation of end-to-end delay between users is referred to as
inter-user playback delay.  Unicast based rapid acquisition of
multicast RTP sessions (RAMS) as specified in [I-D.ietf-avt-rapid-
acquisition-for-rtp] is an important technique in achieving fast
channel switching in IPTV applications.  In addition, RAMS also
significantly relaxes the requirement of relatively short random
access point period in encoding of video streams in multicast
applications, thus allowing significantly improved compression
efficiency.  However, on the other hand, the use of RAMS increases
inter-user playback delay.  This document specifies a mechanism to
help reduce inter-user playback delay in RAMS.

Comments are welcome!

BR, YK