Subject: [AVT] Sound level indication in RTP

From: Roni Even <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 13:55:48 +0300

Hi,

During the IETF75 AVT Monday session  the topic of sound level indication
was presented.

To recap the topic there are two suggestions.

1.       Provide the sound level indication from the endpoint to the mixer,
this will help the mixer with selection the candidates to be mixed

2.       Provide the incoming sound levels of all the participants in the
mixed as measured by the mixer. This may be displayed to the conference
participants helping them to know who are the speaker and if there is
someone causing constant noise like typing.

We did not have enough time to discuss at the session and we are looking for
feedback in order to see how to continue with this work.

We want to know if this is a good idea, which of the two proposal is
interesting (maybe both). 

What use cases people see for sound level indications

Please respond so we can see if there is support for this work and to verify
the way forward.

Thanks

Roni Even

AVT co-chair