Subject: [AVT] Request for review of draft-xu-avt-dra-00.txt, RTP Payload Format for DRA Audio

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:37:18 -0400

draft-xu-avt-dra has been submitted as an Informational document to support the 
addition of the media type vnd.dra. (An obvious first comment is that this 
should be vnd.audio.dra.)

Review by the AVT WG is requested.

Tom Taylor
AVT C-Chair

---

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 16:23:39 +0200

Tom Taylor skrev:
> draft-xu-avt-dra has been submitted as an Informational document to
> support the addition of the media type vnd.dra. (An obvious first
> comment is that this should be vnd.audio.dra.)

Tom, your comment doesn't make sense. The template seems to be correct
in regards to the media type and sub-type name. The media type goes
first, thus audio/vnd.dra or audio/vnd.digital-wave.dra are the
appropriate ones.

There can be discussion if DRA is is sufficient big to get the first
form, rather than going for the second. RFC 4288 says the following
which isn't a strong guidance. I don't have strong view myself.

3.2.  Vendor Tree

   The vendor tree is used for media types associated with commercially
   available products.  "Vendor" or "producer" are construed as
   equivalent and very broadly in this context.

   A registration may be placed in the vendor tree by anyone who needs
   to interchange files associated with the particular product.
   However, the registration formally belongs to the vendor or
   organization producing the software or file format being registered.
   Changes to the specification will be made at their request, as
   discussed in subsequent sections.

   Registrations in the vendor tree will be distinguished by the leading
   facet "vnd.".  That may be followed, at the discretion of the
   registrant, by either a media subtype name from a well-known producer
   (e.g., "vnd.mudpie") or by an IANA-approved designation of the
   producer's name that is followed by a media type or product
   designation (e.g., vnd.bigcompany.funnypictures).

   While public exposure and review of media types to be registered in
   the vendor tree is not required, using the [email-masked]
   mailing list for review is strongly encouraged to improve the quality
   of those specifications.  Registrations in the vendor tree may be
   submitted directly to the IANA.

-- 

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------