Subject: [AVTCORE] On the split of the RTP Multiple Stream Sessions and Simulcast draft

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:39:24 +0100

Hi,

As Individual

In Quebec my colleagues and I had a draft named RTP Multiple Stream
Sessions and Simulcast
(https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtcore-multistream-and-simulcast/)
which contained a number of RTP extensions and also general discussion
of how to do RTP simulcast.

The first think done was to split the discussion into two parts, one
common about RTP multiplexing in general. The goal here is to have
something that can aid when designing RTP extensions and application
designers in how to thing around the RTP multiplexing points and most
important what the pro and cons are of using SSRC multiplexing versus
Session multiplexing.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtcore-multiplex-architecture/

As some of the extensions can be highly useful also outside of the
context of simulcast we have split them out as separate documents.

So in this WG we have the extension for explicit handling of multiple
SSRC in an RTP session. The extension is only a signaling one, but is
still kept in this WG due to that the underlying thinking needs
agreement we believe in this WG.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtcore-max-ssrc/

In AVTEXT we have the RTCP SDES item SRCNAME that allows a single media
source to be identified over multiple media streams (SSRC) to enable
pairing of media streams that relate to each other, like retransmission,
FEC, duplication,  layered encoding, and simulcast.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtext-rtcp-sdes-srcname/

In MMUSIC we have the proposal for a completely new SDP bandwidth
attribute.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-mmusic-sdp-bw-attribute/

Finally we have the discussion of how to do RTP simulcast and the
session grouping extensions that we see as necessary for making RTP
simulcast work well which is in this WG.
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-westerlund-avtcore-rtp-simulcast/

We have requested agenda time for the multiplexing architecture to start
with as that appears to be foundation for most of the other documents.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone  +46 10 7148287
Färögatan 6                | Mobile +46 73 0949079
SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------