Subject: [AVTCORE] ASCII representation for RFC 6222 CNAME

From: Kevin Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 17:13:12 -0600

I'm working on a revision to draft-williams-avtcore-clksource and it looks
like for media clock identification, I need to specify a CNAME in SDP.
Although RFC 6222 says it supersedes RFC 3550 section 6.5.1, I assume the
ASCII format for the CNAME field described in 6.5.1 is retained.  The new
CNAME definition in RFC 6222 produces a 256-bit binary value. There is no
discussion in RFC 6222 as to how that should be formatted for inclusion in
SDES. What is the recommended ASCII representation for the 256 binary CNAME
for inclusion in SDES or SDP?

Kevin Gross
+1-303-447-0517
Media Network Consultant
AVA Networks - www.AVAnw.com <http://www.avanw.com/>, www.X192.org

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2012 16:52:58 +0100

On 2 Jun 2012, at 00:13, Kevin Gross wrote:
> I'm working on a revision to draft-williams-avtcore-clksource and it looks like for media clock identification, I need to specify a CNAME in SDP.  Although RFC 6222 says it supersedes RFC 3550 section 6.5.1, I assume the ASCII format for the CNAME field described in 6.5.1 is retained.  The new CNAME definition in RFC 6222 produces a 256-bit binary value. There is no discussion in RFC 6222 as to how that should be formatted for inclusion in SDES. What is the recommended ASCII representation for the 256 binary CNAME for inclusion in SDES or SDP?

Section 4.2 of RFC 6222 describes how these are converted to printable ASCII values suitable for use in the RTCP CNAME.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

---

From: Kevin Gross <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 19:46:30 -0600

Thanks. Sorry for the trouble.

Kevin Gross

On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Colin Perkins <[email-masked]> wrote:

> > I'm working on a revision to draft-williams-avtcore-clksource and it
> looks like for media clock identification, I need to specify a CNAME in
> SDP.  Although RFC 6222 says it supersedes RFC 3550 section 6.5.1, I assume
> the ASCII format for the CNAME field described in 6.5.1 is retained.  The
> new CNAME definition in RFC 6222 produces a 256-bit binary value. There is
> no discussion in RFC 6222 as to how that should be formatted for inclusion
> in SDES. What is the recommended ASCII representation for the 256 binary
> CNAME for inclusion in SDES or SDP?
>
> Section 4.2 of RFC 6222 describes how these are converted to printable
> ASCII values suitable for use in the RTCP CNAME.
>
> --
> Colin Perkins
> http://csperkins.org/
>
>
>
>