Subject: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-15.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 23:41:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Guidelines for Use of the RTP Monitoring Framework
	Author(s)       : Qin Wu
                          Geoff Hunt
                          Philip Arden
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-15.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2012-06-18

Abstract:
   This memo proposes an extensible RTP monitoring framework for
   extending RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) with a new RTCP Extended
   Reports (XR) (RFC3611) block type to report new metrics regarding
   media transmission or reception quality, following RTCP guidelines
   established in RFC5968.  This memo suggests that a new block should
   contain a single metric or a small number of metrics relevant to a
   single parameter of interest or concern, rather than containing a
   number of metrics which attempt to provide full coverage of all those
   parameters of concern to a specific application.  Applications may
   then "mix and match" to create a set of blocks which covers their set
   of concerns.  Where possible, a specific block should be designed to
   be re-usable across more than one application, for example, for all
   of voice, streaming audio and video.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-15

A diff from previous version is available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-15

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Colin Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 22:45:56 +0100

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch

I've reviewed this updated draft. In general I think the changes look reasonable, but I find the new Figure 1 confusing. To me, something more like the following would convey the ideas better:

                +-----------+                  +----------+
                |Third Party|                  |Management|
                |RTP Monitor|          >>>>>>>>|  System  |<<<<<
                +-----------+          ^       +----------+    ^
                    :   ^              ^                       ^
                    :   |              ^                       ^
 +---------------+  :   |       +-------------+        +-------------+
 | +-----------+ |  :   |       |+-----------+|        |+-----------+|
 | |RTP Monitor| |..:...|.......||RTP Monitor||........||RTP Monitor||
 | +-----------+ |      |       |+-----------+|        |+-----------+|
 |               |------+------>|             |------->|             |
 | RTP Sender    |              |RTP Mixer or |        |RTP Receiver |
 |               |              |Translator   |        |             |
 +---------------+              +-------------+        +-------------+

 ----> RTP media traffic
 ..... RTCP control channel
 >>>>> Non-RTP/RTCP management flows

I would also suggest that the figure caption be changed to "Example showing the components of the RTP monitoring framework", or similar. 

I also noticed that the last paragraph of Section 3.1 suggests that only RTCP XR reports are used with multicast groups, but all RTCP packets can be used, of course.

-- 
Colin Perkins
http://csperkins.org/

---

From: Qin Wu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:53:19 +0800

Looks good to me,
I have done the update with your suggested changes.

Diff from previous version is:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-16

Regards!
-Qin
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Colin Perkins" <[email-masked]>
To: "IETF AVTCore WG" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: [AVTCORE] I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-monarch-15.txt

> _______________________________________________
> Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/avt