Subject: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-03.txt> (Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names (CNAMEs)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:55:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Guidelines for Choosing RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Names
   (CNAMEs)'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis-03.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-06-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   The RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Canonical Name (CNAME) is a
   persistent transport-level identifier for an RTP endpoint.  While the
   Synchronization Source (SSRC) identifier of an RTP endpoint may
   change if a collision is detected or when the RTP application is
   restarted, its RTCP CNAME is meant to stay unchanged, so that RTP
   endpoints can be uniquely identified and associated with their RTP
   media streams.

   For proper functionality, RTCP CNAMEs should be unique within the
   participants of an RTP session.  However, the existing guidelines for
   choosing the RTCP CNAME provided in the RTP standard are insufficient
   to achieve this uniqueness.  RFC 6222 was published to update those
   guidelines to allow endpoints to choose unique RTCP CNAMEs.
   Unfortunately, later investigations showed that some parts of the new
   algorithms were unnecessarily complicated and/or ineffective.  This
   document addresses these concerns and replaces RFC 6222.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-6222bis/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.