Subject: [AVTCORE] Last Call: <draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-09.txt> (Inter-destination Media Synchronization using the RTP Control Protocol (RTCP)) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:00:43 -0700

The IESG has received a request from the Audio/Video Transport Core
Maintenance WG (avtcore) to consider the following document:
- 'Inter-destination Media Synchronization using the RTP Control Protocol
   (RTCP)'
  <draft-ietf-avtcore-idms-09.txt> as Proposed Standard

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
final comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2013-06-11. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the
beginning of the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   This document defines a new RTP Control Protocol (RTCP) Packet Type
   and RTCP Extended Report (XR) Block Type to be used for achieving
   Inter-Destination Media Synchronization (IDMS).  IDMS is the process
   of synchronizing playout across multiple geographically distributed
   media receivers.  Using the RTCP XR IDMS Reporting Block defined in
   this document, media playout information from participants in a
   synchronization group can be collected.  Based on the collected
   information, an RTCP IDMS Settings Packet can then be send to
   distribute a common target playout point to which all the distributed
   receivers, sharing a media experience, can synchronize.

   Typical use cases in which IDMS is usefull are social TV, shared
   service control (i.e. applications where two or more geographically
   separated users are watching a media stream together), distance
   learning, networked video walls, networked loudspeakers, etc.

The file can be obtained via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-idms/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-idms/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.