Subject: [babel] Opsdir last call review of draft-ietf-babel-hmac-08

From: Dan Romascanu via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 07:42:30 -0700

Reviewer: Dan Romascanu
Review result: Ready

This document describes a cryptographic authentication mechanism for the Babel
routing protocol that has provisions for replay avoidance. As this is not a new
protocol but rather an extension of the existing Babel routing protocol
allowing for both unicast and multicast datagrams to be used, a full RFC 5706
review does not apply.

The document is Ready from and operational and manageability point of view. It
is clearly written and provides all needed information to operators. It states
that the deployment can be made incrementally in existing networks where
current implementations of Babel are already present. It is important for
operators to pay attention at the restrictions of applicability defined in
section 1.1. There are also a number of recommendations in the text related to
configuration parameters that are of interests not only for implementers but
also for operators deploying these extensions - for example in sections
4.3.1.1, and 4.4. I would have preferred these to be included in a separate
'Operational Considerations' section.