Subject: [babel] information model supports IPv6 operation only

From: "STARK, BARBARA H" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 13:54:36 +0000

Hi Babel WG,
Donald suggested I make sure the WG members were comfortable with the language I've now included (to resolve IESG / IETF LC comments) in the info model draft, to express the fact it doesn't include parameters for operating Babel over IPv4.

At the end of the abstract I added "This information model only includes
   parameters and parameter values useful for managing Babel over IPv6."

At the end of the Introduction I added the paragraph:
   This information model only includes parameters and parameter values
   useful for managing Babel over IPv6.  This model has no parameters or
   values specific to operating Babel over IPv4, even though
   [I-D.ietf-babel-rfc6126bis] does define a multicast group for sending
   and listening to multicast announcements on IPv4.  There is less
   likelihood of breakage due to inconsistent configuration and
   increased implementation simplicity if Babel is operated always and
   only over IPv6.  Running Babel over IPv6 requires IPv6 at the link
   layer and does not need advertised prefixes, router advertisements or
   DHCPv6 to be present in the network.  Link-local IPv6 is widely
   supported among devices where Babel is expected to be used.  Note
   that Babel over IPv6 can be used for configuration of both IPv4 and
   IPv6 routes.

If this language is objectionable, please let me know. Thx,
Barbara

---

From: David Schinazi <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2021 13:14:00 -0800

The added language looks good to me.
One optional note, we can now replace references to
I-D.ietf-babel-rfc6126bis with RFC8966 :-)

David

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 5:56 AM STARK, BARBARA H <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Babel WG,
> Donald suggested I make sure the WG members were comfortable with the
> language I've now included (to resolve IESG / IETF LC comments) in the info
> model draft, to express the fact it doesn't include parameters for
> operating Babel over IPv4.
>
> _______________________________________________
> babel mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/babel
>