Subject: [babel] Alvaro Retana's No Objection on draft-ietf-babel-yang-model-10: (with COMMENT)

From: Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 14:18:13 -0700

Alvaro Retana has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-babel-yang-model-10: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-babel-yang-model/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

§1: "It is based on the Babel Information Model
[I-D.ietf-babel-information-model]."  The reference should be Normative.

---

From: Mahesh Jethanandani <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 18:01:58 -0700

Hi Alvaro,

> On May 17, 2021, at 2:18 PM, Alvaro Retana via Datatracker <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 

This gets into a whole lot of discussion around whether the information model is informational or not, something that has already happened in the WG and when that document came up in front of IESG (I think). I believe the decision was to keep the information model as informative.

I have therefore kept the reference as Informative. If I try to move it into the Normative part of the reference section, I get a downref error.

Cheers.

Mahesh Jethanandani
[email-masked]

---

From: Alvaro Retana <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2021 11:01:46 -0700

On May 17, 2021 at 9:02:01 PM, Mahesh Jethanandani wrote:

Mahesh:

Hi!

> This gets into a whole lot of discussion around whether the information model
> is informational or not, something that has already happened in the WG and
> when that document came up in front of IESG (I think). I believe the decision
> was to keep the information model as informative.

The status of the document has nothing to do with the need (or not) to
reference it in a normative way.  In general, "normative references
specify documents that must be read to understand or implement the
technology" [1].  In this case, the YANG model is based on the
Information model: the reference should be Normative regardless of the
status of the documents.

> I have therefore kept the reference as Informative. If I try to move it into
> the Normative part of the reference section, I get a downref error.

Having a Downref is not a showstopper -- it simply needs to be called
out on the IETF LC.  There are many documents that have been used as
Downrefs [2].

Thanks!

Alvaro.

[1] https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/normative-informative-references/

[2] https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/downref/