Subject: [beepwg] [ANN] Turbulence 0.4.1 'Future Proof' release is ready!

From: Francis Brosnan Blazquez <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 19:36:50 +0200

-= Turbulence 0.4.1 =-
                      "Future proof release"       

Release note
~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Advanced Software Production Line is proud to announce 
  Turbulence 0.4.1 "Future proof" release: an open source BEEP
  application server, written on top of Vortex Library 1.1.

  Turbulence is a BEEP server extensible through modules and allows to
  implement server side profiles that are used and combined later with
  other profiles through run time configuration.

  Turbulence is written to make easy to develop and deploy BEEP
  profiles, allowing developers to provide a convenient configuration
  interface to site administrators and end users.

  Check out the following links to get ready with Turbulence:

    - http://www.aspl.es/turbulence
      [Turbulence homepage]

    - http://www.aspl.es/vortex
      [Vortex Library homepage]
 
    - http://www.sf.net/projects/vortexlibrary
      [Sources and binaries]

    - http://www.beepcore.org
      [BEEP Core community web site]

    - http://www.aspl.es/xml
      [Axl Library, XML 1.0 implementation]
    
The release in short
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  Added support for mod-python, a module that allows to write server
  side python apps that implements BEEP profiles. See documentation for
  details.

  Added support to create child processes that can handle a particular
  set of connections associated to a particular profile path. 
  Support includes reusing child process created for later connections
  received that matches child's profile path handler. 
  Also added support to run master server and child processes under
  selected uid and gid.

  Added chroot support for master process and child process through
  particular profile paths.

  Added support to notify a module when a profile path was selected,
  including when that selection was done because serverName request so
  the module can load appropriate databases and settings associated to
  that serverName. 

  Many bugs were fixed and many regression tests were added. Added lot
  of documentation.

Change notifications
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  None.

Changes since the 0.3.2
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* [fix] fixed turbulence log reporting. It wasn't enabled at the proper
  place causing some troubles. Added clean-start checks to ensure all
  logs configured are opened and usable.

* [new] Added support for --disable-sigint option which disables
  turbulence SIGINt signal handling which is helpful for debugging.

* [fix] Fixed amd64 bug located at logging code.

* [fix] Making turbulence to abort in the case the pid file can't be
  opened.

* [new] Added new functions that allows to check for positive or
  negative values inside configuration strings. API added:

   - turbulence_config_is_attr_positive
   - turbulence_config_is_attr_negative

* [new] Added first fully working mod-python module. This new module
  will allow to execute server side python, allowing to create python
  BEEP server side applications that takes advantage of Turbulence.

* [fix] Fixed bug inside turbulence_log_report which causes a segfault
  on linux amd64 platforms.

* [new] Updated turbulence module API to include new functions to
  check module existence or its name. Updated module loading code to
  avoid loading the same module twice or different modules with the
  same name. API added:

   - turbulence_module_name
   - turbulence_module_exists

* [fix] Fixed wrong path configuration for mod-python exposed by
  settings not having turbulence-config installed.

* [fix] Fixed naming issue with mod python load files..

* [fix] Making mod-sasl to now drop an error message while loading
  remote administration list if the feature is disabled.

* [fix] Making the module to detect start-file configuration not ended
  by .py.  General cleanups around handling start_file value.

* [fix] Fixed GIL code to properly acquire/release the GIL once the
  module it initialized and terminated.

* [new] Added initial working support to produce a child process that
  will handle a particular request according to turbulence.conf
  allowing to process separation increasing turbulence security. Also
  updated code to allow changing user id and group id of child process
  created. NICE!

* [new] General update to reorganize signal handling so it can be used
  by main turbulence process and children created.  Updated turbulence
  signal API to provide a common handling.  API added:

   - TurbulenceSignalHandler
   - turbulence_signal_install
   - turbulence_signal_received

* [new] Added support to change process root dir after a child process
  creation.

* [new] Updated turbulence db-list API to include functions to unload
  a list without dumping content back to the disk. API added:
  
   - turbulence_db_list_unload

* [new] Added support to configure if turbulence must terminate its
  child processes or leave them as is once turbulence main process is
  finished (kill-childs-on-exit).

* [new] Added support to let the user to configure which modules must
  be unloaded from memory after fork operation allowing. Updated
  turbulence module API to include a function that unloads the module
  notifying the module to do so. API added:
  
   - turbulence_module_unload

* [new] Updated turbulence module definition to include a new function
  called "unload" which can be used by the module to terminate its
  function in a context that the module may still be loaded in the
  main process.  This can be used to not do hard disk operations but
  to only release memory.

* [fix] Updated tbc-mod-gen to produce module templates that also
  includes unload function.

* [fix] Updated mod-sasl to use unload method to close and clean
  memory used without trying to flush back to the disk.

* [fix] Fixed log handling for turbulence child process which was
  causing to not catch logs produced.

* [fix] Fixed profile path dst selector.

* [new] Added support to configure a list of modules to be not loaded
  by turbulence even having them placed at directories configured.
  Added support to make this filter to detect module file name and
  module internal configured name. Updated DTD and added documentation
  to configuration example file.

* [fix] Committing missing updates.

* [fix] Added RTLD_GLOBAL to dlopen function (fixes mod-python
  problem).

* [new] Added new module to implement I/O file descriptor
  notifications.  Module added turbulence-loop. Updated turbulence-log
  module to use this new API to implement log handling from child
  processes.  API added:

   - TurbulenceLoopOnRead (handler)
   - turbulence_loop_create
   - turbulence_loop_set_read_handler
   - turbulence_loop_watch_descriptor
   - turbulence_loop_close

* [new] Added initial implementation to support local turbulence
  management (connection to running process). This will allow to issue
  commands and check status for the current local turbulence process.

* [fix] Fixed child pid removal once the child process has finished to
  avoid killing such process on parent process termination.

* [new] Updated turbulence main API to include new support functions.
  API added:

   - turbulence_is_num (string check)
   - turbulence_get_system_id (user and group id)
   - turbulence_change_fd_owner (file system owner)
   - turbulence_change_fd_perms (file system permissions)

* [fix] Fixed memory leak at turbulence run module while checking
  modules to be skipped (<no-load /> directive).
   
* [new] Adding new module, turbulence mediator to allow creating plugs
  that can produce events which are observable by other components
  (subscribe).  The intention is to use this to implement radmin
  component as a module.  Still more work is required. API added:

   - TurbulenceMediatorHandler (handler)
   - TurbulenceMediatorObject (type)
   - TurbulenceMediatorAttr (enum)
   - turbulence_mediator_object_get
   - turbulence_mediator_create_plug
   - turbulence_mediator_subscribe
   - turbulence_mediator_remove_plug
   - turbulence_mediator_push_event

* [new] Added regression test to check turbulence mediator api.  Fixed
  regression test to check SASL serverName support. Updated turbulence
  mediator API to include API call support and other support
  functions. API added:
   
    - turbulence_mediator_object_set_result
    - turbulence_mediator_plug_num
    - turbulence_mediator_plug_exits
    - turbulence_mediator_call_api
    - turbulence_mediator_create_api

* [new] Added initial code to implement tbc-ctl, a command line tool
  to manage a running turbulence.  Added initial code to implement
  mod-radmin, a module that will handle remote administration and
  status check requests (for now used by tbc-ctl).

* [fix] Added initial implementation to get user and password after
  channel creation failure to activate SASL. Check how to restore
  console stdout.

* [fix] Finished initial tbc-ctl version that downloads all commands
  available from connected server. Added support to auto-complete
  available commands. General memory cleanup.

* [fix] General mod-radmin updates. Still more work required. Added
  general command handling, using a common format that will help
  receiving the content at clients connected using different formats.

* [fix] Added fourth event data reference to turbulence mediator
  object.

* [fix] Updated turbulence conn mgr module to check for mod-radmin
  module startup event to install its commands.

* [fix] General update to integrate all turbulence documentation into
  doxygen system.

* [fix] Moved API types to turbulence-types.h

* [new] Added support to allow starting turbulence without having
  registered any profile. Configurable via
  <allow-start-without-profiles> directive.

* [fix] Fixed plug API regression test.

* [new] Updated turbulence conn mgr module to include a function that
  allows listing all connections registered, selected by a role and a
  string expression.

* [fix] Adding missing configuration file for regression test.

* [fix] Added new regression test to check basic profile path
  filtering (test_08).

* [fix] Making <connections/max-connections> directive to be optional
  since under some circumstances it is not allowed by non
  administrator users.

* [fix] Making turbulence log module cleanup to don't call to close on
  unopened file descriptors.

* [fix] Fixed memory wrong access caused by a race condition between
  on close detection and module cleanup from conn mgr module. Detected
  and fixed by reg tests..

* [fix] Fixed configure.ac which wasn't properly setting
  VORTEX_SASL_VERSION and VORTEX_TLS_VERSION.

* [fix] Updated regression test to check profile path in the case no
  profile def can be applied to a connection. Check the connection is
  rejected.

* [fix] Documentation updates. Integrated administration manual into
  turbulence documentation.

* [fix] More documentation updates: integrated db-list and mod-sasl
  documentation into doxygen main documentation..

* [fix] Integrated mod-sasl documentation into turbulence's main
  documentation.

* [fix] Integrating mod-tunnel documentation into turbulence's doc
  center.

* [fix] Added initial documentation to move turbulence module
  documentation.

* [fix] Fixed mod_radmin and tbc-ctl commands available download. More
  work is required.

* [fix] Fixed documentation. Added initial changes to support "profile
  provided by module" feature.

* [fix] Fixed reg. exp detection bugs. Added regression test to check
  expressions supported.

* [fix] Added regression test to check support for profile path
  serverName detection.

* [fix] Added initial work to fix and check child process creation..

* [fix] Making profile path selection to close the connection if no
  profile path was selected after first channel start...

* [fix] Updated turbulence child process creation to unwatch the
  connection from the reader at the parent process.

* [fix] More profile path updates..

* [fix] Fixed profile path serverName handling with process separation
  is activated. Added reg test (test_01) to check its function.  Still
  more work required.

* [fix] Fixed turbulence_ctx_reinit to update current process pid.

* [fix] Making profile path selection to defer the decision until a
  first channel start is received, in the case current profile path
  configuration is not only address based (uses serverName).

* [new] Updated turbulence process API to include:

   - turbulence_process_child_exits
   - turbulence_process_child_count

* [fix] More updates to check profile path support using serverName
  and child processes. Fixed bug at child process creating which was
  causing connections handled to be configured to not close its
  socket. Added some delay handling to ensure wrong replies reaches
  remote BEEP peer when a channel is not accepted (because profile
  path denies it).

* [fix] More updates to reg test_10. Making server separation to not
  close the connection if the channel start request fails.

* [fix] Adding initial reg test for <load> directive...

* [fix] Updated tbc-mod-gen to include ppath-selected handler.

* [fix] Added initial code to implement test_11 reg test that will
  check profile path selected module notification.

* [new] Updated profile path module to include a function that returns
  profile path identification. API added:

  - turbulence_ppath_get_name

* [new] Updated turbulence module definition to include a new handler
  which is called each time a profile path is selected. API added:

  - ModPPathSelected

* [fix] Added some minor fixings to mod-python code..

* [fix] Committing missing reg test 11 updates.

* [fix] Committing missing conf file for test_11

* [new] Added support for to notify modules when a profile path has
  been selected for a connection. This will allow modules to implement
  particular behaviours according to serverName, etc..Added reg test
  to check initial support (test_11).

* [new] Updated module API to include a general function that
  implements handler notification. Updated
  turbulence_module_notify_close and turbulence_module_notify_reload
  to use this new function. API added:

   - turbulence_module_notify
   - TurbulenceModHandler (enum)

* [fix] Making turbulence run to check module pointer file to be ended
  with .xml

* [fix] Making some updates to mod-sasl (still more work required) to
  use new profile path selected notification.

* [fix] Updated mod-sasl to use common auth API. Updated code to
  detect serverName requested in the case connection serverName is not
  defined.  Fixed memory deallocation bug when no default SASL
  database is found.

* [fix] General regression test cleanups.

* [fix] More updates on regression tests and general fixings to
  properly run them. Still more work is required.

* [fix] Added initial support to notify requested serverName so
  modules at profile path selected notification can react loading
  serverName appropriate settings. API added:
   
   - turbulence_ppath_get_server_name

* [fix] Committing missing test files..

* [fix] Finished initial working support for mod-sasl to only load
  database associated to serverName defined. Updated regression test..

* [fix] Committing example files..

* [new] Added support for work-dir attribute at profile path
  definition, allowing modules and turbulence itself to implement user
  defined functions by using content located at such location. Updated
  turbulence ppath API to include a function to retrieve such value:

  - turbulence_ppath_get_work_dir

* [new] Added initial support to make mod-sasl to load user defined 
  databases located at work-dir (if defined).

* [fix] Making turbulence_module_notify to return boolean status in
  the case some init or profile path selected handler fails. Updated
  child process creation to check these values to stop or continue
  according to clean start value.

* [fix] Updated mod-sasl support to load user defined databases.

* [fix] Finished initial working reg test_12 checking SASL with
  process separation, different serverNames and user defined SASL
  databases..

* [fix] Committing some fixes to properly run regression tests
associated
  to SASL function.

* [fix] Finished mod-sasl upgrade to support on demand serverName auth
  databases. Added reg test test_12-a to check SASL support when no
  child is created.

* [fix] Updated mod-python implementation to support profile path
  notification so the module can load especific applications according
  to serverName defined.

* [fix] Fixed mod-python wrong module load handling. Added initial
  regression test to check its function (test_13).

* [fix] Completed first tests for mod-python after its code update to
  support profile path.

* [fix] Completed first working reg test for mod-python. Helped to fix
  some bugs. Added support to python apps defined to use src location
  and work-dir from profile path to load its sources.

* [fix] Added initial implementation for reg test test_13-a to check
  mod-python without child creation. Still more work is required.

* [fix] Committing .def updates and version components..

* [fix] Finished regression tests that checks mod-python without child
  process creation.

* [fix] Fixed wrong cleanup handling while closing db-list at
  turbulence exit.

* [fix] Fixed turbulence main process lock on exit.

* [fix] Fixed wrong profile selection when only the serverName value
  was configured. Added regression test to check this new function:
  test_14.

* [new] Added new macro to shutdown and release a connection
  reference.  Used to terminate connection references at child process
  creation when applications hosted have initialization failures. API
  added:

   - TBC_FAST_CLOSE (macro)

* [new] Updated mod-python code to allow configuring if the connection
  must be closed in the case a python application associated fails to
  initialize. This is used to signal client peer that an application
  failure had happen...Option added to python.conf.

   - close-conn-on-failure (option)
  
* [new] Updated mod-python to include tbc.error API.

* [new] Finished initial working version that allows child process
  reuse for new connections that matches the profile path of the
  child. NICE!!  This is done by detecting if a turbulence child is
  already handling the profile path detected for a connection,
  transferring the connection to that child. Added regression test_15
  and test_15a. Added skells test_16 and test_17. Updated turbulence
  accepted configuration for profile path definitions to attend
  reuse=yes conf. Still some work required.

* [new] Added support to Turbulence to configure default directories
  used by its function. XML paths added:

   - /global-settings/system-paths/path 
     (datadir, sysconfdir, runtime_datadir)

* [fix] Reorganized child process creation to be stored associated to
  a profile path and represented with a TurbulenceChild structure.

* [new] Updated profile path module to make each profile path
  definition to be identified with a single id. Updated profile path
  module API:

   - turbulence_ppath_get_id

* [fix] Making TBC_FAST_CLOSE to nullify conn reference to avoid the
  caller using that closed reference further.

* [fix] Making common_sasl_load_config (mod-sasl) to nullify callers
  backend reference when a load configuration failure is found.

* [fix] More updates on reg test test_15 to check child process
  connection reuse. No bug found. Nice!

* [fix] Regexp support (some cases where failing). Updated regression
  test to check those cases and its match status.

* [fix] General update to make child process created to release all
  sockets and connections that are handled by the parent. Now those
  connections won't be accessible from childs and they won't waste
  available socket space.  Added regression test (test_16).

* [fix] Some updates on makefiles..

* [fix] Committing some changes..

* [fix] Fixed race condition while creating a TurbulenceLoop object
  that was causing to miss initial descriptors to be watched.

* [fix] Improved reg test 12 to support delay conditions..

* [fix] Added new regression test (test_17) to check concurrent random
  connections accessing to the same profile path configured to create
  a child and reuse connections.

* [fix] Started turbulence_get_system_id rewrite due to annoying leaks
  reported by valgrind by getpwnam_r and getgrgid_r.

* [new] Added new function to implement microwaits on the current
  thread.. API added:

    - turbulence_sleep 

* [fix] Added code to delay turbulence child finalization when vortex
  reader reports no more connections watched to ensure there are no
  connections in transit from the parent to the child in case of reuse
  configurations.

* [fix] Fixed wrong memory access inside
  turbulence_process_receive_socket under cases where parent control
  connection was closed.

* [fix] Updated turbulence conn mgr module to cleanup its resources
  but acquiring its internal locks.

* [fix] More updates to turbulence_get_system_id..Still more work
  required.

* [fix] Added __turbulence_get_system_id_info to implement system
  user/group id resolution. Added regression test 05-a to check
  function.

* [fix] Added missing test configuration file (test_17.conf).

* [fix] Added initial test to check how turbulence behave with
  channels not accepted once a child process is created to handle it.

* [fix] Fixed child connection handling for profile paths activated on
  connection phase (still no BEEP greetings took place). Added
  regression test (test_18) to reproduce and check the issue.

* [fix] Update mod-python to include some debug comments.

* [fix] Added reg test (test_19) to check channel not accepted at
  profile path selection and child process creation.

* [fix] Making child code that watches parent control connection to
  stop and close such link in case of failures.

* [fix] Updated mod-python turbulence.Ctx type to include an internal
  reference to the vortex.Ctx that is used. Updated code to reuse this
  reference rather creating a new one.

* [fix] Fixed bug which was causing to not transfer profile path state
  to connections passed to child process already created causing
  policy to be not applied. Added reg test to reproduce and check fix
  introduced (test_20).

* [fix] Making mod-sasl to not return wrong initialization at profile
  path select notification in the case a backend is already loaded but
  no backend was available for the serverName notified or the profile
  path notified.

* [fix] Updated turbulence_module_notify to release and acquire the
  lock for each handler notification (to support chained
  notifications).

* [new] Updated turbulence conn mgr module to include an API to find a
  particular connection id. API added:

   - turbulence_conn_mgr_find_by_id

  Also updated PyTurbulence API to include an API to provide a binding
  to this function. API added:

   - turbulence.Ctx.find_conn_by_id 

* [fix] Fixed autogen.sh compile preparation issue (due to some GNU
  extensions detected). Added -Wno-portability to fix the problem for
  now...

* [fix] modules/mod-radmin/Makefile.am: full path calling
  turbulence-config.

* [fix] configure.ac: changed turbulence-config permissions to set it
  as executable.

* [fix] tools/tbc-mod-gen/support.c: assign function return value to
  variable (now is an error).

* [fix] src/Makefile.am: changes to fix error linking with exarg.

* [fix] src/turbulence.c, tools/tbc-mod-gen/support.c, src/exarg.c,
  src/turbulence-log.c: assign function return value to variable (now
  is an error) printf can't now receive directly a char * variable
  open with O_CREAT must receive a 3th argument

* [fix] Adding some additional debug to track connections passed to
  childs

* [fix] Added regression test (test_21) to check connection ids
  retention on child process created when reuse is enabled. Bug found
  in vortex.

About Us
~~~~~~~~

  ASPL (Advanced Software Production Line) is a Spanish company that
  provides services and support to introduce open source products into
  organizations.

  It has more than 8 years of experience and its main development line
  is to provide software development and support to install GNU/Linux
  enterprise servers.

  Contact us, English or Spanish, to get commercial support and/or
  BEEP based development services.

  You can reach us:

       http://www.aspl.es - [email-masked]

--
Francis Brosnan Blázquez           - [email-masked]
Advanced Software Production Line  - http://www.aspl.es
3th may 2010, Madrid (Spain)