Subject: [BEHAVE] TURN extensions

From: Marc Petit-Huguenin <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 07:14:00 -0800

Hi Jonathan,

I think that there is currently too much focus on the ICE use cases in
this effort to finish TURN as quickly as possible.  TURN can and will be
used outside of ICE.  OTOH, I certainly agree that we waited long enough
to have a stable specification, so I think that we should work to have a
specification that is good enough for ICE but that permit to add any
extensions in the future.  My proposals for ICMP, NAPTR and choosing the
 type of permission used certainly fall in the extension category.

This said, I sent some basic comments/questions about TURN-05 that still
does not have answers.  I copied below the most important.

Thanks.

7. Section 6.2.1.4 paragraph 6:  There is no error code defined to
reject a LIFETIME attribute with a too short value (as the REFRESH must
be sent at 3/4 of the lifetime, and the total retransmission duration
for a transaction is 7900ms, it does not make sense to accept a lifetime
lower than 32 seconds).

18.  Section 6.2.1.4 paragraph 6:  "Note that the LIFETIME attribute an
Allocate request can be zero, though this is effectively a no-op."

Why authorizing this, if it effectively does nothing?  See also my
comment #7 above.

19. Section 6.2.2 paragraph 2:  "First, the request MUST be
authenticated using the same shared secret as the one associated with
the allocation."

What happen if the user password is changed during an allocation?

20. Section 6.2.2

There is no explanation on what can be done after an allocation expires.
Is it possible to create a new one from the same source IP and port?
With the same username/realm/password?

-- 
Marc Petit-Huguenin           [                                 ]
Home: [email-masked] [RFC1855-compliant space for rent ]
Work: [email-masked]            [                                 ]
[                                                               ]

_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave