Subject: Re: [BEHAVE] TURN Issue #5: Port Range

From: "Derek MacDonald" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 14:37:56 -0800

I really don't think we need *any* text about the fact that ports the
TURN server uses can't be used by another app. It's so obvious that
people will think the txt must have some deeper meaning and waste time
trying to find that meaning.

-Derek

On Jan 18, 2008 9:05 AM, Philip Matthews <[email-masked]> wrote:
> A number of people have now told me, either publicly or privately,
> that they would be happy with the text if I simply removed the
> discussion on firewalls. So here is my revised text:
>
>     The server SHOULD only allocate ports from the range 49152 - 65535
>     (the Dynamic and/or Private Port range [Port-Numbers]), unless the
>     TURN server application knows, through some means not specified
> here,
>     that other applications running on the same host as the TURN server
>     application will not be impacted by allocating ports outside this
>     range.  This condition can often be satisfied by running the TURN
>     server application on a dedicated machine and/or by arranging that
>     any other applications on the machine allocate ports before the TURN
>     server application starts.  In any case, the TURN server SHOULD NOT
>     allocate ports in the range 0 - 1023 (the Well-Known Port range) to
>     discourage clients from using TURN to run standard services.
>
> Comments?
>
> - Philip
>
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Behave mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave
>
_______________________________________________
Behave mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/behave

---

From: Philip Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2008 10:30:00 -0500

Hi Derek:

If you are really concerned, raise it on the call tomorrow. But we  
did discuss this on the last conference call and most people seemed  
happy with the text. And since the text is already in -06, I am  
reluctant to change it.

- Philip